supernintendo64
toamatt26

Should you judge a game based on sales?

toamatt26
Started: 1/9/2014 Category: Games

supernintendo64

Con

So I looked at the Halo vs call of duty debate and I noticed my opponent state that sales determine how good a game is. Have you ever heard of the saying quality over quantity?
toamatt26

Pro

I accept the debate I was challenged, and do believe that video games should be based on sales and the amount of games sold. My opponent will try to negate this. I will post my arguments as soon as my opponent posts his or hers. I wish my opponent the best of luck.
supernintendo64

Con

Quality beats quantity in every aspect. While Halo didn't sell as well as call of duty. Halo still beats cod in quality. Take a game like skate or die for example. It sold millions but the game itself sucked. If there were more people like you in this world that judge a game based on sales. Than good games (like minecraft for example), would have never been famous in the first place.
toamatt26

Pro

"Quality beats quantity in every aspect."
Quality clearly does not beat quantity in EVERY aspect. Although I can debate against that, I will state that quantity with quality is higher than quality without quantity. Most of the games, including Call of Duty ghosts, is high in quality, and because of this they have high sales. "The $1 billion for Call of Duty: Ghosts reflects sell-in " that is, the number of copies of Call of Duty: Ghosts shipped to retailers. Put another way, retailers expect that this number of copies will provide them with a sensible balance of risk between overstock and running out of copies in individual stores."[1] As the quote states, CoD Ghosts has earned a copious amount of money from the game, which represents the 'quantity' part of the statement. "According to a press statement from Activision, Call of Duty: Ghosts is currently sitting in the number one spot on Xbox Live as the most-played game. The company also confirmed that sessions in Ghosts on Xbox 360 have already exceeded the average playing time for both Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare during the same time period post-launch." [2] This quote also shows that it has the "most-played game" status. The game clearly has high quality, because if it was not, not as many people would play it. So when the resolution asks: Should you judge a game based on sales? Well Call of Duty: Ghosts has earned 1 billion dollars in its first day, and is the Most-Played game. So yes, you should judge a game based on sales.
.
.
.
.
.
.
"While Halo didn't sell as well as call of duty. Halo still beats cod in quality."
Other than the grammatical error, (While Halo ... did not sell as well as call of duty. (, not .) Halo still ... ) my opponent fails to provide evidence supporting his or her belief that Halo has superior quality than CoD.
.
.
.
.
.
"Take a game like skate or die for example. It sold millions but the game itself sucked"
The games old millions, as my opponent states, so therefore it is high in quantity. I offer a quote from a critic's review on Skate or Die in 05/31/02. "The enjoyable gameplay ... At the end of the day, I found this game to be a worthy buy. ... I would bring out my NES just to play, every time ... with a round of Skate Or Die. You can't go wrong with Skate Or Die..." [3] Clearly, from this person's review, and many other reviews, Skate or Die is high in quality for a game created in 1988.
.
.
.
.
.
"If there were more people like you in this world that judge a game based on sales. Than good games (like minecraft for example), would have never been famous in the first place."
Once again, other than the grammatical error, by the quote I can infer that Minecraft is good game in quality. "13,655,627 people have bought the game. In the last 24 hours, 14,859 people bought the game. Mojang " 2009-2013." [4] Minecraft also has high quantity, due to almost 15,000 people buying minecraft just in the last 24 hours. Plus, many people buy the game to play online with their friends or family, which would add to the fact that people join minecraft because of it's high quantity.
.
.
.
.
.
Clearly, as the quotes and statements above show, most games if not all, that are high in quality are also high in quantity. With that logic, it can be inferred that if a game has high quality it also has large sales. Therefore, I affirm the resolution and believe that video games should be judged on sales. I await my opponent's response
.
.
.

[1] http://www.forbes.com...
.
.
[2] http://www.polygon.com...
.
.
[3] http://www.gamefaqs.com...
.
.
[4] https://minecraft.net...
supernintendo64

Con

"Call of Duty ghosts, is high in quality, and because of this they have high sales. "

lol that's debatable. I know plenty of people who hate and despise cod. Its one of the most overrated and repetitive gaming franchises of all time. The franchise fails to change or innovate. The only reason why the game is so high in sales is because die hard fanboys are so blinded that they will buy the game no matter what. There are plenty of people that turned their backs on the franchise itself.

"Quality clearly does not beat quantity in EVERY aspect"

Most of the time, yes it does.

"As the quote states, CoD Ghosts has earned a copious amount of money from the game, which represents the 'quantity' part of the statement."

Quantity is inconsequential to me. I don't buy a game because of how many sales it gets. That's a stupid reason to buy a game.

"The company also confirmed that sessions in Ghosts on Xbox 360 have already exceeded the average playing time for both Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare during the same time period post-launch." [2] This quote also shows that it has the "most-played game" status. The game clearly has high quality, because if it was not, not as many people would play it. So when the resolution asks: Should you judge a game based on sales? Well Call of Duty: Ghosts has earned 1 billion dollars in its first day, and is the Most-Played game. So yes, you should judge a game based on sales."

Like I said before the only reason why people continue to play the game is because most of them are die-hard fanboys of the series. The games good don't get me wrong but Its definitely not the best shooter I played on the xbox or any shooter game in general.

"Other than the grammatical error, (While Halo ... did not sell as well as call of duty. (, not .) Halo still ... ) my opponent fails to provide evidence supporting his or her belief that Halo has superior quality than CoD."

Go on a halo vs cod poll and you'll see which one will get more votes.

"The games old millions, as my opponent states, so therefore it is high in quantity. I offer a quote from a critic's review on Skate or Die in 05/31/02. "The enjoyable gameplay ... At the end of the day, I found this game to be a worthy buy. ... I would bring out my NES just to play, every time ... with a round of Skate Or Die. You can't go wrong with Skate Or Die..." [3] Clearly, from this person's review, and many other reviews, Skate or Die is high in quality for a game created in 1988.
."

The game hasn't aged well by todays standards and you have to remember that review was awhile ago. Now if you played a game like super Mario bros 3 or Legend of Zelda. Those games have aged very well in fact they're some of my favorite games of all time. Now if you look at a a game like Kirbys adventure for example the opposite can be said, when compared to skate or die. Its known to be one of the best games of the nes library but the game didn't sell well. Another reason why quality beats quantity any day.

"Once again, other than the grammatical error"

Can you please stop complaining about my grammar. I'm here to debate not correct minor grammar mistakes.

"by the quote I can infer that Minecraft is good game in quality. "13,655,627 people have bought the game. In the last 24 hours, 14,859 people bought the game. Mojang " 2009-2013." [4] Minecraft also has high quantity, due to almost 15,000 people buying minecraft just in the last 24 hours. Plus, many people buy the game to play online with their friends or family, which would add to the fact that people join minecraft because of it's high quantity."

Your missing the point however if people like you kept judging a game based on its sales franchises like super Mario bros would have never been famous in the first place. People would still be playing games like pacman.

"Clearly, as the quotes and statements above show, most games if not all, that are high in quality are also high in quantity. With that logic, it can be inferred that if a game has high quality it also has large sales. Therefore, I affirm the resolution and believe that video games should be judged on sales. I await my opponent's response"

Your statement is completely false and inaccurate. I know plenty of games with good quality but bad quantity.
toamatt26

Pro

I truly thank my opponent for posting all three rounds of this debate, and creating one on this interesting topic. But now, I will refute his or her arguments.
.
.
.
.
.
.
"lol that's debatable. I know plenty of people who hate and despise cod. Its one of the most overrated and repetitive gaming franchises of all time. The franchise fails to change or innovate. The only reason why the game is so high in sales is because die hard fanboys are so blinded that they will buy the game no matter what. There are plenty of people that turned their backs on the franchise itself."
.
.
After the many grammatical errors, the whole paragraph itself fails to show any evidence supporting his or her ideas. I would like to pick one specific example to support my claim, but the entire idea of the paragraph as a whole has the same meaning. My opponent thinks that call of duty lacks in quality. After no evidence, my opponent can't support his or her claims.
.
.
.
.
.
"Most of the time, yes it does."
.
Once again my opponent fails to provide any sort of evidence supporting his claims. His opinions are irrelevant to this debate.
.
.
.
.
"Quantity is inconsequential to me. I don't buy a game because of how many sales it gets. That's a stupid reason to buy a game."
.
Opinion, and this is the whole reason why we are debating this topic. My opponent fails to support his claim that it is a stupid reason to buy a game based on sales.
.
.
.
.
.
"Like I said before the only reason why people continue to play the game is because most of them are die-hard fanboys of the series. The games good don't get me wrong but Its definitely not the best shooter I played on the xbox or any shooter game in general."
.
.
As my opponent states in the first sentence, "... the only reason why people continue to play the game ...", and is stating arguments that will support my case. If people are "die-hard fanboys," then surely they would have played a good game in order to think so. The first of the game series, (Call of Duty) must have been extraordinary in order for the gamers to be this loyal to a game.
.
.
.
.
<>
.
"Go on a halo vs cod poll and you'll see which one will get more votes."
.
.
My opponent seems to know little about the english language, because as I stated, he has not provided evidence to support the belief that Halo is superior in quality over Call of Duty. In response, he states that I should create a poll and thinks that Halo will in fact get more votes. Even if it does, it still does not show why it is superior.
.
.
.
.
.
"The game hasn't aged well by todays standards and you have to remember that review was awhile ago."
.
.
My opponent is talking about a game from 1988. Of course a game over 25 years old would not be as advanced as a game of this time. Even if it did, my opponent does not provide evidence as to why it is inferior and does not meet the standards.
.
.
.
.
<<"Once again, other than the grammatical error">>
.
"Can you please stop complaining about my grammar. I'm here to debate not correct minor grammar mistakes."
.
.
I apologize to my opponent, but will continue to do so because spelling/grammar is what voters take into consideration when voting.
.
.
.
.
<<"by the quote I can infer that Minecraft is good game in quality. "13,655,627 people have bought the game. In the last 24 hours, 14,859 people bought the game. Mojang " 2009-2013." [4] Minecraft also has high quantity, due to almost 15,000 people buying minecraft just in the last 24 hours. Plus, many people buy the game to play online with their friends or family, which would add to the fact that people join minecraft because of it's high quantity.">>
.
"Your missing the point however if people like you kept judging a game based on its sales franchises like super Mario bros would have never been famous in the first place. People would still be playing games like pacman."
.
.
My opponent states that people would not buy Super Mario bros if people judged a game by sales. Clearly, if people bought the nintendo to play games, such as PacMan, they would know that nintendo is a reliable company, due to the amount of consoles sold. With that said, it would encourage people to buy the games made by the trusted brand of nintendo.
.
.
.
.
<<"Clearly, as the quotes and statements above show, most games if not all, that are high in quality are also high in quantity. With that logic, it can be inferred that if a game has high quality it also has large sales. Therefore, I affirm the resolution and believe that video games should be judged on sales. I await my opponent's response">>
.
"Your statement is completely false and inaccurate. I know plenty of games with good quality but bad quantity."
.
.
I would like to also tell you that nearly every single of your statements are false and inaccurate, but that would result in me being rude, which would count for conduct. Throughout the whole debate, including the last statements, my opponent has provided no evidence to support any of his or her claims. In contrast, I enjoyed doing this debate and am glad I was challenged to an interesting resolution.
.
.
.
Vote Pro.
Vote Placed by STALIN 3 years ago
STALIN
supernintendo64toamatt26Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con mostly copied/pasted from Pro in order to make it look like he actually wrote something. Pro backed his info up with sources making his position more reliable.