Should you take a year off after high school?

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

This is my first debate on this website or in general so do forgive some sloppiness and overall amateur debating.

For my first point I say that the one year off is good for the experience to live a little. You go maybe travel the world, get your head on your shoulders or in some cases make money, which I'll get to in a second. In some cases you made some "mistakes" high school and now have a family to care for making the one year necessary to put the metaphorical "bread" on the table.

Now I'm still to go through the whole high school facade but I can only imagine ho much of a kaleidoscope your thoughts and future would be. So you can take that year to see what you want to do with your life, prioritize whether University or College is affordable and most importantly figure out what your strength is to at least secure that Undergrad.

At the moment these are the only points I have but will be pleased to reply to any that you choose to create yourself and I look forward to a good educational debate.

I accept the challenge and look forward to a good round. This is also my first debate, so this shall be interesting.

1. There are 20 days of individual holidays, about two weeks of spring break, three months during summer, and usually about a week during Christmas. That is plenty time to go on a vacation or do all the things you mentioned.
a. Travelling: I already mentioned this. You're not going to travel for anything more than a month most of the time, so summer break alone is enough to fulfill this.
b. Make money: you can make money during summer. Plus, I'll talk about this a little later on my point about now vs. later.
c. "mistakes". That's exactly what it is. If you made the said mistake, you have to pay for it, we can't just cater to the people that made such a mistake by allowing them to have a year off school after high school. This point doesn't stand: your mistake is your mistake. If anything, the fact that you will have difficulty caring for a family during school helps stop people making this mistake.

2. Thinking...
a. All around us are people who found what they want to be when they grow up. They didn't need a whole year to figure it out. I at the age of 14 already know what I want to do when I grow up.
b. University & college: If you're for the first time considering whether you can afford it now or not, then you have a problem. Again, people around us know whether they're going to college/university or not, they don't need a whole year for this.
c. As you're going through high school, you will no doubt figure out certain subjects that you enjoy. This is the best time to decide what you want to be or what major you want to take. There's no need for a whole year to decide this.

Moving on to my own points...

1. Now vs. later.
a. Most people get married after college, not during college. So if you take a whole year of your life trying to decide things that you've already decided during high school, you're prolonging the date that you will probably get married. Obviously, you don't want to do that.
b. Going back to the make money point. With my opponent's position, you make money right after high school, while with my position, you do it after college. Now how many people do you know that actually save their money and don't spend it on anything? A small majority of the world. So if you make the money right after high school, you still have several years that you could be squandering this money. While if you wait till after college to begin making money, you have less opportunity to squander it since you need to spend it on buying a house for your family. I will talk more about this later in my disadvantage.

2. Most people prep for the time of their life when they are free from school DURING school. This is good because it teaches them how to be diligent. It leaves little room for wasting time because they have to hold a job and do school at the same time. It may seem annoying, but it's beneficial altogether. This has been going on since the beginning of our school system, so why should it change now? Plus, as I mentioned under point 1, if you use the year to build up your bank account for when you need it, it will be squandered before you really need it.

3. Why has it not been done if it's "so beneficial"?
Basically, if this idea was so beneficial, why has it not been done? My response is that it isn't "so beneficial", and that's why it hasn't been done. This leads to the disadvantages.

Disadvantage 1. Money

I talked about this point under my points, 1, b. Basically, this is a disadvantage because you have a lot of time you can squander it. It's not beneficial to get it earlier than you need it. Because you'll be around 22 or more when you graduate vs. 21 or more with my opponent's position, you have less time to regain the money you squandered before you marry. Less prep time.

Disadvantage 2. Marriage

This is simple. As explained under my points, 1, b, you will most likely have to wait longer to get married. Ouch, do you really want that!? Even if you are not planning on getting married, it affects others that do plan on doing so. This is clearly a disadvantage to my opponent's view.

Disadvantage 3. "Mistakes"

My opponent mentioned that if you make "the" mistake in high school you'll want a year to contend with that. The problem is that if this year is provided to anyone who wants it, then that will increase the amount of "mistakes" since they have some time to work with it. My opponent is trying to help solve this problem, but his position is clearly making it worse.

Disadvantage 4. Diligence

Giving students this year will foster an attitude of laziness. "Ah, I get to relax for this year". Yes, you could use this time to TRY and prep for the end of school, but is that REALLY what most people will do? Most likely not. Kids will end up in their bedrooms, playing Xbox all day. Or wii. Or play station. Whatever it is they enjoy. It will be viewed as a kick-back and relax time, not a "okay I'll use this time to get ready" time.

So I've shown you why my opponent's advantages do not stand and how there are actually four major disadvantages.

Under my point labeled Now vs. later, I explained how prepping for marriage/graduation right after high school is not as good as the traditional way of prepping for it during school or right after college.

Point 2 led to disadvantage 4. Basically, giving kids a whole year will foster laziness.

Point 3 was basically mentioning that if the plan was really beneficial that it would have been enacted already. Kids would have a year after high school if it was truly beneficial.

Disadvantage 1: People will end up with less to support themselves by the time they're ready to marry if they start too early.

Disadvantage 2: You will end up marrying later. Do you really want to wait longer than you already do? Nope.

Disadvantage 3: This allows for more lenience and therefore more "mistakes" as my opponent has chosen to refer to it.

Disadvantage 4: Kids will end up wasting this time, not using it diligently.

Clearly you can see that the Status Quo (or how the school system is right now) is better than as my opponent has proposed it. Thus, I would urge you to vote for my side. Thank you.

1. While you are given all those holidays to actual call them holidays would be, in my opinion, lieing. You see, during your break you are either slaving away for projects or mid-terms/exams or spending what little left over time you have with your family.
a/b. Travelling & Make money: Now you are contradicting yourself in this and point B. You say you can't travel for more than a month at a time which is true for the majority so I'll concede to that point. But you simply cannot make enough money in two-three months of summer vacation. Lets say you work for minimum wage (10.25$ here in ON, Canada) and you get paid bi-weekly. Now saying you work 5 days a week for that amount for those 2-3 months. At the most you'll be making $4920
(10.25 x 8 x 5 x 4 x 3). This is not including just the price of living. Having graduated high school I'm assuming the said people would be owning cellular devices (which are about $50-100 per month) plus as you later point out, they'd be spending their money on clothing or miscellaneous items. So that's approximately $2000 dollars one if they're brand-name conscious like our society. Thus leaving them with $2920 (not nearly enough for college/university which would be the main reason for taking the 1 year break).
C. Yes mistakes. So from my interpretation your saying that we as a society should condemn those who make mistakes? I feel that is taking away from the whole beauty of our world. I see that you too are Christian and thus I'll add a little religion into this. Our whole religion is based on forgiveness and that is what makes our religion so good. So while it maybe irrelevant to some, to my opponent this is a tad bit personal but in my eyes necessary to aid my case.

a. While I commend you on your ability to choose your career path so early I beg to differ. From my understand teens go through high school with a "let's pass" attitude. Thus leaving career choices for later. And for these people that one year break is something that will be very important in determining where they want to go with their life.
b. Now this section is all circumstantial but nonetheless relevant. Some people are slow or don't look at the whole picture and it is for these people that we once again have to think about. I feel that your arguments tend to not be looking at our society as a whole and more at our self and people like you. We as the "brains" of society still have to look after the inapt.
c. For some people they enjoy none. Then they really have to delve into themselves to see what their strength's are. This isn't something that is just going to come. And your right, this is not something one uses a whole year for, this would be done in conjunction with others such as the previous points, make money or travel.

Your Points
1. Now vs. later.
a. Now your getting yourself into a whole different subject but I'll try my best to respond. At the current time the ideal age to marry is 26-28 ( So even if you finish one year later (when your 23) you still have some time to go in your argument. Its not like you get out of college/university and get married like boom. But I would like to argue that the whole aspect of marriage is love not age. So I find your argument redundant seeing as how your saying you'll be one year behind in the game. Love is not aging and thus your age of getting married is irrelevant.

2. I agree totally that our school system is fine and needs no change, that's not the object of this debate so I'll proceed to ignore that section. Also you continue to say that people will squander their money. How can you say this so surely? Is it impossible for people to save and not spend? I think not, seeing as how they'll be probably living with their family so most bills will be covered and if they are resolute about saving believe me, they'll save.

3. Are you telling me that you have yet to see people take a year off from high school? Its advantageous to the people that I have mentioned above. Your completely right in saying its unnecessary for some but for some it is necessary due to circumstances.

Disadvantage 1. Money

As I've already mentioned above you are basing your money argument on the fact that people will squander their money during the one year. I ,as you know, beg to differ and thus disagree with this disadvantage.

Disadvantage 2. Marriage

Once again I find you disregarding the whole aspect of marriage; love. You continue to say that its best to get married early. What if you can't find that person? That means your forced to find a spouse just because society dictates that?

Disadvantage 3. "Mistakes"

I'm in no way encouraging the "mistake". This is just an attempt to help those who make it. You think that people will make the "mistake" because of an extra year. In reality nobody in that position wanted a "mistake" they wanted a good time and thus those people aren't going to purposefully make a baby just because of the extra year.

Disadvantage 4. Diligence

Your argument is solid but your characterizing your average American. What about the people who will put things into perspective? I'm not trying to make this a law, the purpose of this debate is whether you think people should take a break, not should it be made involuntary.

I'll leave it to you to give the people the blow-by-blow of this debate as I'm pressed for time; though if I could I would indefinitely give the most possible detail to the readers.

So to summarize my attack on your disadvantages please read the following:

Disadvantage 1: You have to give people the benefit of the doubt and trust that they won't squander their money, you have to keep the mentality that people can save not pick at the minority who can't.

Disadvantage 2: I think I've repeated myself enough on this point for you to understand my views by now,

Disadvantage 3: People wouldn't purposefully make a "mistake" because then it wouldn't be a mistake...

Disadvantage 4: Once again you are stereotyping the people as unethical and not giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I hope that I have formatted my argument in the most concise possible way. Therefore I hope you vote for Pro. Thanks.

I am sorry for a misunderstanding: I thought my opponent's position was that all kids would be required to take a year off after high school, not whether or not a kid should do so.

1. And yet on holidays everywhere I go there are kids. You don't have any EXTRA homework just because it's a holiday. You have the same amount of work, and you have plenty of time left for whatever you want to do.

a/b. You're not supposed to make "enough" money in a two-three month vacation. Most high school graduates don't immediately start saving up for their marriage. In the status quo hundreds of millions of people contend with the money problem. Also, as my now vs. later point states, it doesn't make a difference whether you make money now or in 4 years. It's the same.

Clothing: in our society, kids have the right brand names and the right clothes already. They don't need an extra year to earn up so they can spend it on even more clothes. Lastly, you briefly covered college. Most people can't pay for college so they instead get a loan. That's just how it works in our society.

c. I'm not saying we should condemn them, I'm saying we shouldn't cater to them. If a thief steals from your store, you shouldn't pass him some bread as a reward. It makes no sense to give this year to a person who made a mistake since that's basically giving them a reward.

a. I'll address this later under the diligence disadvantage.
b. It doesn't take very long to decide whether you're going to go to college or not. If you dedicated one day of your life to thinking and praying plus researching, you could have it done in that day. A week is surely enough to deal with whether you should go to college/university or not.
c. The same point applies. Even if they don't enjoy any, by the time they've graduated from highschool (age 18 for most), they've seen what their strong subject is. I already knew my strong subjects 4 years ago. Yes, I may go faster than some, but by 18 you surely will know. When you think about your life, you will think about all these three points. You again don't require much time for this. This goes right under deciding whether to go to college/university.

My points ----

a. Not necessarily a whole different subject. It's basically the whole foundation of this debate, along with the diligence point. Also, your article does not apply. It says the "ideal" age. That doesn't mean the age most people marry, but the ideal age. I know very few people who take that long. My point under marriage is that if you have someone you're dating/courting during college, and you want to wait till after college to marry, you have to wait till you're 23, rather than 22. It's a whole year of practical torment. I agree, the whole aspect is love, and that's what I'm getting at. If you love someone from age 21, you have to wait a whole two years to get married rather than one. My opponent is ignoring the fact that it's unpleasant for many to have to wait longer. Since most people don't get married at the "ideal" age, that point doesn't apply.
b. Money. My opponent has failed to address this specific point, so I ask that it flows to my side. On this point alone I believe a vote for my side is justified.

2. Yes, this point was based on the misunderstanding stated in the introduction to this argument. Squandering: My opponent contradicted himself. At first he talked about the brand conscience day and age we live in. Then he pretended that most people are good at saving money. Yes, there are some people (I included) who are good at saving money and would have no problem doing so, but again with this day and age, that is not likely to happen. I believe the majority of the population will end up wasting this money.

3. It may be advantageous for the DILIGENT FEW, but not to the majority. Of course, this debate is based on majority, not the minority. Maybe if the topic was "Those who are very diligent and can save money well should take a year after high school" it would have been a benefit, but it is not such, so therefore my opponent has a disadvantageous position.

Disadvantage 1. Money

I already contested this point. Very few people are good enough at saving that they will actually use this money when they graduate from college. I'll restate this disadvantage to show you why it's important. Let's say Johnny takes a year off. IF he works (I will address the IF later), he will start spending the money. He buys some gum, a basketball hoop, some new clothing, christmas presents, birthday presents, random items he wants.... the list goes on and on. Then he realizes that when he's 20 (one year into college using this system), he's spent all his money already. Now it has no benefit to him. And now he will have to wait till the age of 23 to start earning money for marriage, rather than age 22. So that means he has to either start the marriage at age 23 (which is already pretty late) and "wing it", or live in a dingy apartment, or he has to wait a year or two and get married at an even later age. Again, I don't mind the "age", but the love. He'll practically be desperate to get married. This is clearly a disadvantage to taking a year off after high school.

Disadvantage 2. Marriage.

My opponent has misunderstood my position. Most people have found a spouse by the age 21 or so. My position is not saying that "they must get married by age 22 or else". This point applies to any who have found a significant other already, and have to wait longer to get married because they made the mistake of taking a year off at the end of high school.

Disadvantage 3. "Mistakes"

It doesn't mean they're purposefully going to make the mistake, but it means it's easier to get by if they did make the mistake. That means they have less natural resistance to making the mistake and therefore the mistake rate increases. It's a simple point, and my opponent either does not want to properly argue it or does not understand it correctly.

Disadvantage 4. Diligence

Yes, I am characterizing the average American. As I stated under point 3, we must look at the average american, not the most diligent. Majority > minority. When debating this topic, we must look at what the majority of people will do, not at what the most diligent people will do. I'd like to elaborate a bit on this topic. As I stated under this point (and again my opponent dropped it and therefore it flows to me), the average american will sit and play Xbox all day during this year, not get a good job and earn money. The few that DO earn money, again, will squander it. But let's say Johnny DOES get a job. Then at the end of the year, he's pretty happy with it, even though it's minimum wage and not good enough to support a family. So he decides "nah, I don't need a college degree. I can make it without one, because I already have! I'll keep this job". So less people will end up going to college, and more will end up with bad jobs. This year will be WASTED by the average american, not utilized. This is the biggest point, and my opponent did not properly address it. Therefore I ask that you would vote for my position because of this point alone.

Quick recap as I'm running out of characters:

You must not leave it to the voters. The voters vote based on if you adequately rebutted my arguments and won, not whether they think you're right because of some bias. As I've shown, there are several arguments you dropped that flow to me.

DA11: Money will be squandered by the average american, and that's that. My opponent actually conceded so.

DA2: Those in love will have to wait even longer for marriage.

DA3: They will have less natural resistance to making said mistake.

DA4: The most important point, pretty much dropped by my opponent. On this point alone I believe a vote my direction is justified.

As I've stated, we must look at majority. And I've shown that the majority will not use this time wisely. Therefore I urge you to vote for me. Thank you.
Posted by nonentity 5 years ago
Someone trying to save up for college or university should not be spending $2000 on "brand name" clothes lol Anyway, interesting debate.
Vote Placed by RougeFox 5 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: I would have liked for this debate to be slightly longer...shorter debates usually hurt the instigator because there isn't enough time to clarify the resolution. The topic could have been slightly clearer or clarified in the first round, but it was not. Con's constructive points were strong and were not refuted. Overall it was a good debate though.
Vote Placed by nonentity 5 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's resolution was unclear and Con was able to refute most of his points.