Mummerali
Jay-D

Should you walk to school or go by transport...

Jay-D
Started: 12/5/2013 Category: Cars

Mummerali

Con

Yes you should go by transport, Because if you are late for school, so you can't walk to school, you HAVE to go by transport, either you will be marked late for school and it will affect your grade. And you will be considered as irresponsible student for your life time which will be very bad for your future.....
Jay-D

Pro

I thank Con for instigating this debate. I would like to start by stating the only 2 required ground rules:

1. I am assuming that for a general student in question, the school is close enough to commute by foot i.e. not more than, say, 15-20 minutes of walking. Ergo, the student has a choice between transport and walking, and I shall be postulating that the student in question should be obliged to walk.

2. By transport i would understand motorized transport i.e. cars, public buses, school buses etc, and not something like a bicycle.

I bear no ill-will stating the above 2 rules. For this debate to be fair, these rules must be followed.
There is no point in debating the topic if the school is 4-5 miles away from home, as in such a case the student shall always prefer transport.
Also there is no point in debating if bicycles and other non-motorized vehicles are included in "transport" for the debate, since it conserves both energy and time, and once again, the student shall always prefer transport.

I am only making the debate fair, so that both sides can start unbiased. I hope an understanding can be reached, and with this, we can debate further rounds.

Understanding my opponent's opening argument:
In the words of Con, "...if you are late for school, so you can't walk to school, you HAVE to go by transport..."
By this, Con can mean 2 things.
1. One can opt for transport, but ONLY if one is late for school.
2. One can choose to go by transport everytime, thus protecting oneself from the possibility of arriving late to class.

Rebuttal:
1. If one only prefers transport when one is running late, it would mean that the rest of the times when he isn't running late, he prefers to walk. Now, unless the student in question runs late most of the time (which is highly unlikely, and not to mention, unethical), he goes to school on most days BY FOOT. This would mean that he, in general, DOES NOT prefer transport, thus inadvertently putting the argument in my favour.
2. An ideal student is one who never arrives late to class. Of course, no one is ideal, but it's only logical to have one's behaviour as close to the ideal case as possible. Hence instead of spending MONEY AND FUEL on transport, a student can choose to WALK to school, saving both. This would also motivate him to get going early on a daily basis.
Proactive rebuttal: If you mention random occurrences as the cause of the student running late, then i would like to point out that these occurrences are quite RARE and would hardly affect the student's grades.

I believe i have comprehensively refuted Con's arguments. I await his subsequent argument(s) for the next round.
Mummerali

Con

Mummerali forfeited this round.
Jay-D

Pro

Unfortunately, my opponent has forfeited the current round due to reasons unknown. As I have already provided suitable and comprehensive arguments of my own in round 1, I do not feel the need to capitalize on my stand further until the next set of arguments from Pro.
I hope that he returns and makes his final arguments and closing statements for round 3.
Mummerali

Con

Mummerali forfeited this round.
Jay-D

Pro

Sadly, my opponent has forfeited this round as well, drawing a disappointing conclusion to this debate. I shall now present my closing arguments:
Walking to school is not only a good exercise, but also economical.
Choosing motorized transport as a preventive measure for losing grades due to late-coming is not a very sensible move. It is a better preventive measure if one makes it sure to wake up early enough.
In case of some random, unavoidable incidents which ensure that one arrives late to school, there is no harm in accessing transport means in THOSE situations. This does not affect the original premise of a general preference of walking over transport.

The rest is up to the voters, who I hope will be fair when awarding points.
May the better debater win.
Posted by Jay-D 3 years ago
Jay-D
If there are any philosophical people reading this and you happen to have voting privileges, please vote on this one:
http://www.debate.org...
It's got only one vote, and it's too close to call. I won't mind if you vote against me. I just want it to have an undisputed winner.
Vote Placed by KingDebater 3 years ago
KingDebater
MummeraliJay-DTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had arguments and didn't forfeit
Vote Placed by Gs325jcbd 3 years ago
Gs325jcbd
MummeraliJay-DTied
Reasons for voting decision: the con forfeited and the pro gave decent reasons to walk to school.
Vote Placed by Josh_b 3 years ago
Josh_b
MummeraliJay-DTied
Reasons for voting decision: conduct for pro (no ff's) argument was definitely in favor of pro just in identifying the actual debate as presented by con.