ashley9716
AngstChrist

Should young men and women over 18 years of age, serving in the armed forces be allowed to consume a

AngstChrist

ashley9716

Con

Should young men and women over 18 years of age, serving in the armed forces be allowed to consume alcoholic beverages in any state in this country?
AngstChrist

Pro

Most certainly they should be allowed to enjoy alcoholic beverages.

If at the age of 18, we are going to train these young men and women to fight, to kill for our flag and entrust them, potentially with millions of dollars worth of military hardware, its only fitting that we'd allow them to relax and imbibe the alcoholic beverage of their choosing.

In the US, we decided that 18 was somehow the right age to allow people to vote, to marry (in most states), to sign legal contracts and a whole host of other things that are allowed under the "age of reason." Why then, are these adults not allowed to drink?

It comes down to common sense and respect for what we're asking these volunteers to do - if we're entrusting them to serve in a potentially life threatening role, it is at the height of hypocrisy to suggest that they are somehow not mature enough to handle a glass of beer.
ashley9716

Con

ashley9716 forfeited this round.
AngstChrist

Pro

I see no argument from my opponent. My argument stands.
ashley9716

Con

I just don't think that men and women that are serving our country should be drinking, especially at 18. Some people aren't very mature at that age.
AngstChrist

Pro

You're calling into question maturity, to which I say, its all relative.

I'm 37, I know plenty of men and women my own age that we could term immature as well. But I submit, if maturity is the guideline and you look at an average 18 year old, playing video games and doing little with life save for wasting oxygen and compare it to someone who has decided to voluntarily train to fight, kill and potentially die for this country, you are talking about a completely different person altogether.

I think on the sacrifice alone that they are willing to endure, again, voluntarily, there is no question that they are far more mature than their average 18 year old contemporary. To tell someone who is willing to do all of this and again, potentially die doing so, that they are somehow not mature enough to handle a drink is insulting and does a disservice to the sacrifice they've made on your behalf.
ashley9716

Con

ashley9716 forfeited this round.
AngstChrist

Pro

I see the forfeit, I really think for now, in the absence of opposing arguments, that I'll rest with my original points.
ashley9716

Con

ashley9716 forfeited this round.
AngstChrist

Pro

I think this is done? no?
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Seems an easy win. Good job pro.
Posted by JimmyRusltler 3 years ago
JimmyRusltler
I'd like to throw in that in some countries (Australia being one) alcohol is allowed at 18. but the debate is more about if they should be intoxicated whilst serving in the armed forced, bad image, bad conduct etc.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 3 years ago
bladerunner060
ashley9716AngstChristTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con did not really "show up" for this debate. Conduct for the forfeits. Arguments for the unrebutted case. Con, if you're going to initiate a debate, you should actually want to DEBATE.
Vote Placed by wiploc 3 years ago
wiploc
ashley9716AngstChristTied