Lookingatissues
Joey888

Should young people be allowed to vote...

Lookingatissues

Pro

Should young people be allowed to vote
Definition of chronological age
chronological age : the age of a person as measured from birth to a given date From WEBSTER DICTIONARY
"chronological age : the age of a person as measured from birth to a given date "His chronological age is five, but his mental age is three"he thinks and behaves like a three-year-old."> From WEBSTER DICTIONARY
The argument for allowing the young citizens to vote has always been that "if the young can serve in the military they should be allowed to vote. But this thought is the same as saying that if you are able to pull a trigger of a gun that you are qualified and entitled to cast a vote. but being entitled to vote using these qualifications doesn't mean that a person is mature and responsible for their decisions, in fact the law makes decisions based on the chronological age of an individual in determining how they are handled in courts of law. The maturity of the individual is judged by their ability to make responsible decisions and are responsible for their own actions and welfare. But the evidence is quite apparent that young people ,on the whole, today are not responsible for their decisions and in more and more cases are dependent on others to provide for them, living with their parents beyond the age of 18.
Also from the stand point of being able to have independent thoughts about which political party best represents the interests of the country and casting their votes accordingly is most often swayed and determined by who the parents believe is the best political party to represent the country thus increasing the parents vote from one vote to two votes for the same party. This, in effect is discrimination practiced against citizens who haven't had any children to increase their voice in who runs the country. Noah Webster wanted to raise the voting age to 45 in brief, he wanted to eliminate one of the most naive and irresponsible elements from the body politics: the youth vote." Noah Webster has often been proved right in his assessment of the young.
Joey888

Con

There are several reasons why young people should not be allowed to vote. There are many teenagers and even adults who are very immature. Giving them an opportunity to vote is the worst idea. Students, for example, can make poor choices, and voting is a big thing. They should start with something small, such as student council within the school, and then go from there. Even if there are some people under the age of 18 who are mature, we still have to consider the ones that aren't.
Lookingatissues

Pro

lookingattheissues response to Con /Joey888 below
To enforce the idea that the young haven't matured enough to make sound judgements and shouldn't be allowed to vote is to just look at the automobile accident statistics for young people behind the wheel driving on America's highways.
"In 2013, 2,163 teens in the United States ages 16"19 were killed and 243,243 were treated in emergency departments for injuries suffered in motor vehicle crashes.1 That means that six teens ages 16"19 died every day from motor vehicle injuries.
Young people ages 15-24 represent only 14% of the U.S. population. However, they account for 30% ($19 billion) of the total costs of motor vehicle injuries among males and 28% ($7 billion) of the total costs of motor vehicle injuries among females.2"
Who is most at risk?
"The risk of motor vehicle crashes is higher among 16-19-year-olds than among any other age group. In fact, per mile driven, teen drivers ages 16 to 19 are nearly three times more likely than drivers aged 20 and older to be in a fatal crash..."
Injury Prevention & Control: Motor Vehicle Safety
And yet the young are thought mature enough to be allowed to vote on who should be the best people to be in charge of our government.
Joey888

Con

You are confusing me. You have taken my point of view. I support the fact that the young people should not be allowed to vote, and you say that they should be able to vote. As a matter of fact, your citation in Round 2 has supported my idea of the young people not being allowed to vote.
Lookingatissues

Pro

Lookingatissues forfeited this round.
Joey888

Con

Since you did not respond, that means that I have won. Thank you for this debate.
Posted by Lookingatissues 1 year ago
Lookingatissues
lookingattheissues reply to Youdontknowjeff's comments: Thanks for responding, I agree, voting is too serious a responsibility to allow immature young people to vote.
To demonstrate the immaturity and the lack of political knowledge of young people all one has to do to confirm the fact that young people aren't informed enough to cast intelligent votes in a election is to watch "Walter's World," FOX News" T.V. and hear the answers to political questions that are asked of young people on "Walter's World" and the lack of knowledge displayed by the young.
Posted by Lookingatissues 1 year ago
Lookingatissues
Subject....Should young people be allowed to vote...
I have reread all of my posts in this debate and I , from rereading my posts, have been consistent in my opposition to young people being allowed to vote in elections.
I can understand being confused about the designation," Pro," indicating that I'm "for" allowing young people being allowed to vote when everything that I've posted indicates that I'm against allowing them to cast votes in any elections. I agree with you that young people aren't mature enough to cast votes in Elections
Posted by Youdontknowjeff 1 year ago
Youdontknowjeff
I think the minimum age should be 25- 30. Pushing beyond that is pointless. Many people who are in their 50s are only voting based on notions and experiences in their life. Many of them do not make the best decisions either and have been indoctrinated from birth into a particular way of thinking. Honestly it would be better to test peoples critical thinking skills and grant them voting rights based on a sufficient score. Of course rather it would be one or one million people deciding what that score should be it's arbitrary.
I say 25-30, and I lean towards 30. The reason is the human brain doesn't fully develop until the late 20s.