crazyness
0FOver

Shouldn't schools have uniforms?

crazyness

Pro

Shouldn't schools have uniforms? I think they should because they help with many factors in a student's life. They help with time management, bullying, and dress codes. Students don't have to miss their bus just because they couldn't decide what to wear. If they had uniforms, they could just wear that and go to school without worrying about their clothes. Uniforms help students save their precious time by giving them the option of one pair of clothes, than giving students many pairs of clothing to decide from that makes it more confusing on what to wear. If students wear uniforms, they have more time for homework and other activities after school to participate in other than deciding what to wear the next morning.
0FOver

Con

Almost all schools require students to pay for their uniforms here. I do not wear an uniform and am not forced to, but have lots of friends, that do and are forced to. Furthermore, with uniforms, nobody can be unique with their outlook. And schools which accept uniforms, require you to not be unique in any way. Be like the rest of the sheep and obey, no originality. Some of my friends have to wear uniforms and are late for school anyway. They say, that most of the students at their schools are like that. Uniforms are also very uncomfortable. They aren't an obstacle for you to make your homework, you still have plenty of time to do it. They also do not stop bullying at all. Most of the time bullying is caused by a public opinion, about a certain individual. The opinion is strengthened by the fact, that when one group is against a person, they want to fit in the group well, so they turn against the person even without a reason. I think that you should be able to wear whatever clothes you want, because it's one of the ways which you are different from the others in your outlook. Don't be another brick in the wall.
crazyness

Pro

Uniforms can have a huge impact on bullying. Students think that they can bully others because of what one wears. That is not true. Uniforms help with that a lot. If students wear the same clothing as everyone else( maybe slightly different) no one can bully them. If someone bullies someone else for their uniform, they are also saying the same thing to themselves because they will be wearing the same type of clothing. When students try to express themselves, they have a risk of being bullied. I am not saying that students cannot express themselves. Sometimes, students even go to school because they do not want to be bullied and even if they tell an adult and the bully gets in trouble, there are many other students that will do exactly the same thing. If students want, they can build self-esteem and be bully proof. Also, uniforms don't have to be a dull color. You can buy or choose what color uniform you want. You don't have to be insecure because of what you were.
0FOver

Con

Well, here you cannot choose in most uniforms the color or anything. Bullying is such a big topic and has so much ends to it. Usually the clothing can be a factor, but most of the times, it's not. Depends on the person of course. Bullying can only be stopped if you are in a group yourself. If you are alone, you are vulnerable and it is likely, that they will attack you, no matter what you wear or what you do. Bullies have this psychology, that they think, that they are perfect and that they are unstoppable. They will pick for no reason or will find some stupid reason to do it. If you wear an uniform the chance of getting bullied is only very slightly decreased, with about 5-10%. Yes, it's something, but one uniform doesn't stop it entirely.
crazyness

Pro

Even if this doesn't stop bullying, it can stop a little bit of it. It can at least stop one factor of bullying. Uniforms also help with dress codes. Many students might worry about that to wear because they don't want to get in trouble for wearing something that isn't in the dress code. If students wear uniforms, they can't get in trouble unless they are still wearing something that isn't in the dress code. If you think that uniforms are expensive and can't express themselves, you might be wrong. I think that buying one uniform for the entire school year is better than buying clothes for mostly everyday of the school year. If you want to express yourself, you can wear colorful shoes or wear jewelry that shows your individuality. Also, you can put your hair in new styles. Uniforms don't have to restrict the way you live or dress.
0FOver

Con

That's true, you can wear jewelry and colourful shoes, but most schools which require uniforms will not allow these kind of things. They want everything to be official, or schools will allow only specific jewelry, shoes and hats, if they allow anything at all. It just makes schools too strict. Kids mustn't grow up like this. Sure, it removes one factor, but is it worth it for just that one factor, which has a more efficient solving to the problem. I think that most kids would prefer to be with their typical clothes, because that way, they will feel more comfortable and will be more relaxed. The typical dress code in most schools isn't that strict and most normally dressed kids pass the code with no problems. The schools should be with a more relaxing atmosphere, the uniforms don't help with that, they only make the problem worse for some kids which want to be with normal clothes.
crazyness

Pro

No offense,, but the person who commented on this debate, I have a question for him. If uniforms don't exactly explain a person's identity, why do people ask police for their identity card and badge. I mean, isn't that card and badge also part of the uniform that police wear to show who they are? Also, by the way, students have more things to worry about than what to wear like their grades and their family. The difficulty of deciding what clothes to wear shouldn't have to be one of the worries that students should have to deal while they are still in the learning of education. Uniforms have a huge impact on students' lives. It shouldn't be a stress for kids to know what to wear. My source of information is listed below.

1)http://www.listland.com...
0FOver

Con

The card of the police is an official document, the badge is part of the uniform, yes. But the police uniform is like the military uniform. The police and the military are under command. If students are given uniforms in the same way, like the police put on uniforms it means, that you are under command and that you must be given orders and mustn't act on your own. This means that you cannot be a normal civilian, because you are basically a worker under command and you don't have the right to ask questions, only accept orders from higher rank people. School uniforms are usually given so that you can be identified with your school. This is not such a big help for your personality and your self esteem and can mess them up.

I've found a counter list to your link, from the same website: http://www.listland.com...

My final words are: Uniforms are needed only in specific situations, not in schools. Kids mustn't grow up with uniforms. Kids should demand to be free, not to want to be caged up. They should also demand more usefull rules and removing unusefull rules, which are only there for more control and manipulation, not for a better environment.
Peace!
Posted by Donderpants 1 year ago
Donderpants
Dang it, can't vote because I don't know my mobile phone number!
Posted by AOP 2 years ago
AOP
Sometimes all you can do is be yourself. Uniforms are a way of identifying but also throwing away unique identity. It's ironic.
Posted by AOP 2 years ago
AOP
And also, quit promoting Zombyism. Some of us don't want to be sheep who follow the heard and have our own opinions about things. I got bullied. So what? I learned from it. Life lessons are harsh. Trying to avoid the Truth is what this is about. Individualism is being crapped on. So what if someone doesn't like your viewpoint. If you gotta be bullied about it, than that only makes you stronger. Don't tell me that I gotta wear the same crap just so people won't hurt my feelings. That's dumb.
Posted by AOP 2 years ago
AOP
Uniforms are Communist. Socialist. Sure people have to wear a uniform in many walks of life. A cop, a judge, a dairy queen, an usher... But the more important question has to do with the fact that uniforms don't make you WHO you are. A lot of people put on a uniform and say, I'm a police. I'm a soldier. I'm a meter maid, I'm this I'm that. Walks of life and professions don't necessarily identify an individual. I could put on a pair of boxing gloves but that wouldn't make me a boxer. I could strap on a guitar and that wouldn't necessarily make me a guitarist. I could put on a white robe with a name tag and that wouldn't make me a doctor. Identity is a more difficult topic.
Vote Placed by travis18352 1 year ago
travis18352
crazyness0FOverTied
Reasons for voting decision: i say no clear winner. both sides had good arguments.