FanboyMctroll
frankfurter50

Show me a game with better story and graphics then Horizon Zero Dawn

Started: 11/17/2017 Category: Games

FanboyMctroll

Pro

That's right you can't. Horizon Zero Dawn has the best graphics with a 24 hour day and night cycle, rain, snow, blowing sand, all environments from snowy mountains to desert canyons, smart robot machines that will look for you, scan the environment and a great story. You want a real great adventure game with amazing graphics, play this game, it's way better then anything else out there. With a 100+ hour story this is the best game for your moneys worth. Fallout, Skyrim, The Witcher you come close but not as good as this game!!!
frankfurter50

Con

I know a game with a far better story and graphics than your horrific indie game "Horizon zero dawn". I cite the classic board game "Monopoly." It has the greatest story and graphics I can think of. First, it has an endearing cast of characters: Uncle Pennybags, the adorable millionaire with the top hat and mustache, Officer Edgar Mallory, the Keystone cop like policeman who perpetually blows his whistle, and Jake the Jailbird, the physical embodiment of urban crime. Not only are the characters endearing, the game is a wonderful representation of 1920s America. Look at the chance or community chest cards. They fill the viewer with a sense of immediate nostalgia, they have a kitschy retro feel, and the art is crisp and clean. the playing pieces aren't only pieces, they're objects from a bygone era. Monopoly is the only time that humans use thimbles. Think about that for a moment. The playing pieces could potentially be used as historical artifacts. The car and the boat are both accurate. Everything about monopoly is a living record of retro America, and due to the accuracy of the game, the twenties can live on forever. Monopoly is highly interactive and the game can go in any direction at any time.

I await your next argument.
FanboyMctroll

Pro

First of all Horizon Zero Dawn is a big blockbuster game not some indy game like Meatboy or Cubehead or other 2 hour lame games. Now Monopoly is a classic game but it lacks any excitement. Going around the board to collect $200 or buying up properties does not sound exciting like fighting machines that are huge and using strategies like stealth or full out battling in HZD. The adorable millionaire who also stars as the train conductor in Thomas The Train is a lame character for a game. Monopoly might fill you with nostalgia if you are a senior in your 60's or 70's but for current entertainment nothing compares to Horizon Zero Dawn. Three games come to mind that could be close to HZD, GTA5, The Witcher 3 or Fallout 4, all of these games have huge worlds like HZD. There is more to these games then just going around in a circle to buy up properties or maybe end up in jail Ooohh wow so exciting I bought Park Venue wow let me go get my invalid ring because my butt is getting sore from going around the board for hours. You can use the thimbles for your pieces but you don't get to customize them like HZD, your character levels up with new abilities, you get to buy new weapons, you get modifications for the weapons, you collect ancient artifacts and you have to make arrows and other items using the environment. What does your thimble do, move from square piece on the board to another.

You can discuss a 100 year old game and how you enjoy it but by todays standard the only people playing it is seniors with nothing better to do. Horizon Zero Dawn is about humanity reverting back to ancient civilization times with a mix of future tech machines. The story could be made into a movie, while Monopoly is a board game.

For entertainment value 90 out of a 100 people would prefer to play Horizon Zero Dawn rather then a board game that lost it's appeal in the 90's before the main stream computers came into effect.

HZD has the best story, long campaign, a DLC now included and over 100 hours of original story in a realistic world not some made up properties that you buy while rolling a dice. It's like comparing a hoola hoop or slinky to a modern video game for entertainment. What would people prefer to play? I think only seniors would agree with you to play Monopoly only because their arthritis hands can't hold a controller or have quick enough motor skills to handle the action of HZD.

Case closed (mic drop)
frankfurter50

Con

Horizon Zero Dawn is a video game, and nothing more. If, however, you play a board game, it gives you a feeling of individuality and it lets people know that you prefer mature, sane entertainment. Board games have been around for millennia, video games are only 30 years old. Board games are a testament to the ingenuity and spirit of the human mind. Although they have been ruined a bit in recent years by Hasbro, they still retain their core message and thousands of families spend hours rolling the dice. Horizon Zero Dawn is a shooting game. games should involve more than just shooting, there should be multiple story lines and a comprehensive plot. Consider Monopoly. According to the laws of probability, there are probably over a quintillion ways the game could potentially go.

In a video game, you feel satisfaction from pushing buttons. In Monopoly, you feel satisfaction from talking to other people.

The dice, the central element, provide an unequaled feeling of suspense, and if a player goes bankrupt, they become swept with a feeling of despair. The chance and community chest cards add still more cliffhangers, because both can take away money, give money, or send somebody to jail. When a player is sent to jail, he feels very depressed. Keep in mind sir, the game can go on for hours, but if you follow the official rules and auction off every property, the game can go for just about an hour. See the official rulebook and you'll notice that most people play it wrong. Players in jail can still barter all they want.

In addition, you don't have to play a game about the great depression if you don't want to. The Monopoly board can easily be tweaked if preferred. As of today, there are over 100 separate editions of Monopoly, each with their own theme and enough to fit anybody. The game might always be the same, but it's interesting to see just how much it can be altered. heck, there's probably even a Horizon Zero Dawn version. Or you could just make one. Monopoly games are pretty easy to make. Here's the full list, and it's just for America:

https://en.wikipedia.org...

You say you don't get to customize Monopoly pieces. You can. Monopoly is very open to modification. You can use any small trinket you want. A penny, a lego, anything. You only refuse to play Monopoly because your mind is shut to the appeal of something besides a screen. Monopoly is an American legacy and it deserves respect. For over forty years, it was a way for people to have fun. It may be hard to believe, but people didn't used to have computers, and they had to invent other kinds of entertainment. Monopoly is one of those kinds of entertainment.

Of course, Monopoly isn't the only option. There's also LIFE, which is even more heavily based around a comprehensible storyline. But, for this debate, I've chosen to focus on Monopoly. It's the magnum opus of all board games, the thing which your parents and your grandparents played fervently for hours. I ask, have you ever played Monopoly? have you ever considered what it's about? Chances are you haven't.

OOH so exciting you can push some little buttons and kill some robots.
FanboyMctroll

Pro

I will take some of the blame for this debate by stating this debate was supposed to be "Show me a better VIDEO game with better story and graphics then Horizon Zero Dawn.

Right now this debate has become about general entertainment and what's better, a video game or board game. I am trying to debate with someone about a video game they think is better then Horizon Zero Dawn and why, we can debate about the graphics, the gameplay, the AI, the story length.

I'm not interested in debating board games that have expired in the entertainment business in the late 90's unless you are over 60 years old. Nobody cares about board games, and neither do I, so this debate has turned into for example a debate about is this song better then this tv show. It's not the same form of entertainment.

Board games suck and I don't care about them, Horizon Zero Dawn is the best VIDEO game, nothing better out there.
frankfurter50

Con

The title does not say "video game". It just says "game". That includes board games. My choice of Monopoly shows that I can think out of the box. Monopoly is not inept simply because it is a board game, board games and video games can be equally exciting. You can even buy solitaire games if you're antisocial.

The two are actually quite related. The first video game, pong, is based on ping pong. Not quite a board game, but still, you can see the relation. There's a video game version of Monopoly, which plays exactly like the real version, but it's not as fun, because you don't get to have fun with other people. Come to think of it, there's a video game version of about every board game, although I'd much rather play the real board games. Mouse trap is pretty good. I'm sure it took a lot of work to engineer. Very quirky. However, I'd like to get back to Monopoly.

Monopoly is such a part of American heritage that babies are born knowing how to play it. You never need a rulebook, because everything is so clear and concise, and yet varied at the same time.

Monopoly, besides being fun and a great outlet for nostalgia, is also highly educational. Using the game, one can learn about the follies of economic monopolies. That's what its purpose was originally, and it still shows kids the concepts of unequal wealth distribution quite well. People who win, of course, become greedy, and those who lose become impoverished. Surely, it was fun to play with in the great depression, because people could pretend to become millionaires and feel a rush of dopamine. It was also pretty fun for soldiers fighting Hitler. Without Monopoly, the Axis powers could have won. Think about that for a moment. You can't deny that Monopoly has had a profound influence on our history. It has a historic legacy.

I don't know why you're not willing to compare Monopoly to Horizon Zero Dawn, I'm sure they have a lot in common. Certain goals, surprise obstacles, an interactive storyline. You give me a challenge and then you refuse to fulfill it. Strange. There's nothing wrong with Monopoly. It's very entertaining. I've whiled away many a good hour with it, as I'm sure you have with your game. They're both just ways to entertain yourself. No matter how realistic something seems, no matter how well the programming is, you have to remember, it's still only a game. You're not really fighting zombies or shooting a gun. You are, however, feeling the dice roll out of your hand, thumping the little Scottie dog down with every move, and feeling a rush of ecstasy when you pass go. And, if you happen to land on Boardwalk and there's a hotel, you feel much worse than if you get eaten by a dinosaur.

You can start Horizon Zero Dawn over, again and again. Monopoly can only be played once in a day, so the stakes are much greater and you have to focus harder on winning. It's the ultimate challenge. You have to have a strong business acumen and a whole lot of confidence. In Horizon Zero dawn, you push buttons. It may provide a thrill, but once you play it long enough, the game gets old. Horizon Zero Dawn, like all other video games, will not go on in history. It will become old after a while. New games will be invented, with more challenges and levels. But Monopoly never ends. It's been around for eighty years and it's going to be around for a while more. It is an American institution and it has a staggering legacy behind it. It's not just a game, it's a story.

Please vote wisely, judges. If you must, try playing Horizon Zero Dawn and see what it's like. Have you played it more than Monopoly? Is it really any different from any other, run of the mill video game? I'm not going to play it. I'd much rather wheel and deal around the board, put up houses and hotels, and feel the dice fall from my hands after I give them a good shake.

I await the results.
Posted by frankfurter50 7 months ago
frankfurter50
Yeah, but I kept it well rounded, I think.
Posted by Starki 7 months ago
Starki
This debate devolved into game feel rather than discussion of graphics and story.
Posted by frankfurter50 7 months ago
frankfurter50
Nah, it's great.
Posted by BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2 7 months ago
BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2
This is stupid.
Posted by QuestionGuy 8 months ago
QuestionGuy
awesome i been waiting to do that debate again, i think i will use the same scenarios because it will still be different because we will be responding off of each other. Omg this will be epic sending debate soon :)
Posted by frankfurter50 8 months ago
frankfurter50
Sure, go ahead and challenge me to one.
Posted by QuestionGuy 8 months ago
QuestionGuy
Frankfurt50 i enjoy your writing style and debate spirit in general would love to have a playful debate with you, rebirth of a debate i did ages ago under a different name the first one got 6,000 views im just not getting back on this site 5years later. and would like to start the series again check these 2 playful and fun debates out below

let me know if you want to get in on the New series. It didnt work last time long term because i ended getting some underage opponents and it didnt really bring the Fire from the first episode. I had 4 Episodes but only 2 of them really got true recognition

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...
Posted by frankfurter50 8 months ago
frankfurter50
Mouse trap is the best, though. I can go for hours without even playing it, just watching the little marble roll down the big blue stairs...
Posted by FanboyMctroll 8 months ago
FanboyMctroll
How can I be happy when I'm a slave for the rest of my life, do you think all those slaves that worked on the pyramids were happy?

If I was rich I would be free from being a slave, then I would be happy. I would be able to travel and do all my hobbies full time and do things that I want to do, not be someone's bitch so I can eat

Ohh I hear the horn, I'm being released from prison for 16 hours, before I have to come back again to being a slave
Posted by frankfurter50 8 months ago
frankfurter50
You're not happy, then?