troyamonga
Kennycash

Siblings should be Allowed to Marry

troyamonga

Pro

Thinking about it, why does the United States not allow siblings who truly love each other to marry one another? The scientific side of the argument does prove that genetic disorders are more likely to appear in their children, but there really is no real reason to prevent them from marrying. It doesn't harm other people in anyway.

Also, as this is a serious debate, any arguments that pertain to religion shall not be permitted and promptly ignored.
Kennycash

Con

I believe it is because are country was built on old school values. Some values and ground rules need to be in place to keep a civilization stable. There has always been unwritten rules in life and this is one of them. Killing, Rape, kidnapping etc. While those example are a lot more harsh they have always been outlawed to keep a civilization in tact.
troyamonga

Pro

Okay, so the United States is build upon the old school values of not allowing rape, murder, or kidnapping. However, there is one "old-school" value you neglected to mention. It is an incredibly important value to our nation, and, despite most modern folks viewing it as cruel and inhumane (myself included), one cannot deny that without it, our nation would not exist.

I am talking, or course, about slavery.

It was an "old-school" value that people in Colonial America considered a necessity. It helped the Southern Colonies make their money and led the South to prosperity. Later, slaves grew the goods that were sold to fund our rebellion against Britain. Nobody in Colonial America thought it was wrong. It was an "old-school" value that helped maintain civilization. To them, free blacks were dangerous.

As you can see, "old-school" values are not always what's right. Allowing siblings to marry wouldn't affect you and I in anyway, nor would it affect anyone who doesn't love their sibling in that way. America would wake up the next morning, folks would go to work, and the world would spin on as usual, except for the few people who became a little happier by us allowing them to love one another.
Kennycash

Con

I think with the slavery issue people finally realized it was a form of torture. Rape, Murder, and Kidnapping was also happening everyday with slavery yet people turned a blind eye. I do not think people beat you because you want to marry your sibling.

The problem with passing your marriage law is it would lead to inbreeding. You can always argue "Well just because we want to marry doesn't mean we would reproduce." It might be true for you, but you can not open up Pandora's box. You can't say YES its ok to marry but NO its not ok to reproduce. The law we have now tells you we do not condone the activity.

We all know that children have a higher chance disabilities and bones problems, but I believe you already agreed to that so I won't beat a dead drum. The point I wanted to make is an interesting one. I think it is NOT FAIR to the child to grow up in the household. The studies of having household family issues with children is on the rise and this would just add to it. It's hard enough to grow up in today's crazy world with a normal life, now your asking him to call his uncle DAD.

The last statement might be a little dramatic, but that's the box your looking to open.
troyamonga

Pro

troyamonga forfeited this round.
Kennycash

Con

Kennycash forfeited this round.
Posted by troyamonga 4 years ago
troyamonga
I, personally, believe incest is gross. However, I am stating that it doesn't affect either me, nor you if siblings get married. If you don't like it, dont marry your sibling.
Posted by Arbitrary 4 years ago
Arbitrary
Yep. Ew. I'll bet that most of those people who romanticizes incest have no siblings of their own.
Posted by TrasguTravieso 4 years ago
TrasguTravieso
Eww.

I rest my case.
Posted by Arbitrary 4 years ago
Arbitrary
I don't think that it's really fair to leave out the religious aspects of this discussion. I think that the law against incest is more than just about the scientific aspects. Our society and the rules that governs it are what separates us from beasts and I feel that religion and faith is a large part of our humanity (not just what gods we believe in, or even if we believe in gods at all, but what we as human beings believe in and hold sacred) I believe in the sanctity of family and that the relationship between siblings is an extension of that. Adding a carnal aspect to the relationship between siblings is a breaking of trust and love between not just the siblings but the whole community.
Posted by troyamonga 4 years ago
troyamonga
Sorry, I didn't clarify. I meant to state that it doesn't affect a person that is, say, telling them that they can't get married. And it is not a good argument against the marriage of siblings, as incest already occurs outside of marriage.
Posted by philochristos 4 years ago
philochristos
"The scientific side of the argument does prove that genetic disorders are more likely to appear in their children... It doesn't harm other people in anyway."

I'm either misunderstanding you, or this is the biggest contradiction I've ever seen on DDO.