harrytruman
talmid

Sikhism is the same as Judaism:

harrytruman

Pro

Team debate!
On my team will be me and Romanii, on talmids team will be him and someone else.
talmid

Con

Sikhism is not the same as Judaism... Here is a very simple reason: Sikhs do not believe in Jewish doctrines.
- Sikhs do not believe in the Torah
- Sikhs do not believe in Nevi'im or Ketuvim (Prophets & Writings)
- Sikhs do not believe in the termination of prophecy
- Sikhs do not believe in the coming of the Messiah
- Sikhs do not believe in the Resurrection of the Dead
Only biased syncretistic Sikhs who have cognitive dissonance believe in Jewish doctrines. In Judaism, there is only Judaism for the Jews and Noahidism for the gentiles. That's it. Everything else is not up for discussion. There is no need for Sikhism. It is completely superfluous. What can a person find in Sikhism that he cannot find in Judaism or Noahidism? The G-d of Judaism would not give a third religion to the world. If He would, then He should have told us about it in the Torah.
harrytruman

Pro

Sikhs believe in the Torah, the Nevi'im and the Ketuvim, the termination of prophecy is vague enough as it is, the Messiah is for the Jews, Sikhs are not Jews, and they do believe in the resurection of the dead, just not in the same specifics because most of the specifics that we have came fro Rabbinical whatever that doesn't even have any verses to back themselves.
talmid

Con

Sikhs do not believe in the Torah, Nevi'im and Ketuvim. Only syncretistic Sikhs like yourself believe in the Tanakh. The Tanakh does not have any place in the Sikh religion. You just made an outright lie in order to further your means. Not cool man. And the termination of prophecy is not vague.. It's a part of Judaism, and you wouldn't have a problem believing in it if you never heard of Sikhism. The Messiah is for the Jews, but it will also have a massive effect on the world, and the gentiles with it. And no, Sikhs do not believe in the Resurrection of the Dead. Another outright lie... Two outright lies in only four lines? Wow. Also, "most of the specifics that we have came from rabbinical whatever that doesn't even have any verses to back themselves." How many times do I have to tell you that Judaism does not only go by the verses? Moses our teacher, the same one who wrote the Torah, also told us a lot of things which he never committed to writing. Nevertheless, you are wrong. There are verses which speak of the Resurrection in detail. See Ezekiel 37:1-14 which describes the process in detail, and then prophecies that it will happen in the future (v. 12-14)
harrytruman

Pro

They do Study OUR Tanakh- you should do your homework before you accuse people, here is a link:
http://www.realsikhism.com...
talmid

Con

I got worried for a moment when I read that, but then I clicked the link and realized that I was right (as usual). Sikhs do not believe in the Tanakh. You said that Sikhs believe in the Tanakh. That website says that they study scriptures from other religions (the Quran, New Testament, and Vedas are included in the category of "scriptures from other religions), but only adhere to the teachings of Guru Granth Sahib. Therefore, Sikhs do NOT believe in the Tanakh - and therefore you are guilty of, as I said above, outright lying. Also I like it how you focused on this one point (which you happened to be dead-wrong about - hahaha the irony) and ignored practically everything else I said. It's a sign that you don't know what to answer. In that case, why haven't you given up yet?
harrytruman

Pro

Whenever something comes up you go on the defensive, really that was the way I took what he said wa that they read the Tanakh but the Guru Granth is their primary book. Besides, tere are 37 similarities in counting betwen Judaism and Sikhism.
talmid

Con

Why does it matter how many similarities there are between Judaism and Sikhism? How can you ignore the many differences? I bet there are plenty of similarities between Judaism and Islam. Will you say that they are the same religion? But you see, there are some crucial differences between them, primarilty the fact that Muslims do not believe in the termination of prophecy. Also because Sharia Law differs from halacha. That is just like Sikhism, which differs from halacha. In Sikhism, homosexuality is perfectly allowed. In Judaism, it is a horrible sin which is punishable by karet. So much so, that even gentiles are forbidden from engaging in homosexual relations. Why then, does Sikhism, which is targeted toward gentiles, not have a prohibition against homosexuality?
harrytruman

Pro

It is as a matter of fact banned in Sikhism, Sikhs decide to ignore these verses, much like some Christians ignore verses from the Tanakh and verses in their own NonTestament, here are a few Sit Scriptures that indicate that Homosexuality is a sin:

"You are overflowing with sexual desire, and your intellect is stained with darkness; you are held in the grip of Shakti's power."
||2|| (Bhagat Baini page 93 line 7)

"When others die, you measure your own wealth in your mind; you waste your life in the pleasures of the mouth and sexual organs"
||3|| (Devotee Baini page 93 line 10)

"Your eyebrows are like a bow, from which the arrows of lust are coming out and striking us like the dagger"
Dasam Granth Page 703, Line 1
talmid

Con

None of those quotes have anything to do with homosexuality... They all seem to be talking about general lust, homosexual or otherwise. Besides, an indication of homosexuality being a sin is not enough. There needs to be a clear, explicit prohibition. The prohibition against acts of sexual immorality are very important, and are one of the 7 Noahide Laws. I think it's weird that you set yourself up with such an easily refutable argument instead of just giving in. Judaism and Sikhism are not the same religion. Sikhism does not acknowledge the gravity of the sin of homosexuality. It does not command its followers to set up courts. They do not believe in the coming of the Messiah, or the Resurrection of the Dead. They do not believe in the Torahs - both the written and oral. They do not believe in the Prophets and Writings. Sikhism is not Judaism, and this should be clear and apparent to all.
Posted by RonPaulConservative 4 months ago
RonPaulConservative
Talmud, I beat you.
You said that no Rabbis eve acknowledged Sikhism, and get this, I found one! Rabbi Gutman Locks:
http://www.mpaths.com...
Posted by whiteflame 10 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: DebaterGood// Mod action: Removed<

6 points to Con (S&G, Arguments, Sources). Reasons for voting decision: Pro is arguing something crazy.

[*Reason for removal*] Not an RFD. The voter's personal problems with Pro's argument doesn't suffice as a reason to award points.
************************************************************************
Posted by harrytruman 10 months ago
harrytruman
Well we already talked of the team debate, Romanii flaked out on me I guess.
Posted by Rami 10 months ago
Rami
Romanii is no longer active. Too bad.
Posted by Yavneh 10 months ago
Yavneh
Talmid, team? I'm not sure this will amount to much of a debate, but I would love to help out the Con side.
Posted by talmid 10 months ago
talmid
Is this a joke?