Motoko
ApostateAbe

Silent Hill 4's "Room of Angel" - What is it about?

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

Motoko

Pro

Room of Angel's lyrics are very, very confusing. What is the song about and why?
I personally think it's about Walter and his real mother, whoever that may be. I'd love to see if anyone has anything to say about this.

Lyrics;

[ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsmode.com... ]

You lie silent there before me
Your tears may mean nothing to me now
The wind howling at the window
The Love you never gave
I give to you

Really don't deserve it
But now there's nothing you can do
So sleep in your only memory of me
My dearest mother

Here's a lullaby to close your eyes (goodbye)
It was always you that I despised
I don't feel enough for you to cry (oh well)
Goodbye...
Goodbye...

So insignificant
Sleeping dormant deep inside of me
Are you hiding away lost
Under the sewers
Maybe flying high in the clouds

Perhaps you're happy without me
So many seeds have been sown in the field
And who could sprout up so blessedly
If I had died

I would have never felt sad at all
You will not hear me say I'm sorry
Where is the light
I wonder if it's weeping somewhere

It was always you that I despised
Goodbye...
Goodbye...
ApostateAbe

Con

There is a YouTube video with the "Room of Angel" song here.

I think it is a beautiful song. I did a Google search, and I found a page on the song at SongMeanings.net.

http://www.songmeanings.net...

Many commentators have each offered their own interpretations. I will post the three most useful comments. Quotes are in italics. Main points are in bold.

(1) by Ginger009:

The song sounds like its directed at the other person no matter how you interpret it. It could be a multiple of things a bad boyfriend with a girlfriend, a horrible parent child relationship, but mostly saying that the one person was trying to be with that other person and that other person rejected them numerous times, then finally that one person goes away and the other person on the sour end is finally realizing that this isnt what it should be and is now accepting it and doesnt want them anymore and doesnt feel that they should even weep over their loss and i mainly think this as a mourning song for someone in an abusive relationship that finally ended and as many have said there isnt anyway that this can be a picker upper song.

(2) by Nihilhate:

I always figured it was about Dahlia, and life in general, from Alessa's point of view;

"the love you never gave
I give to you"

Referring to the fact that Alessa just wanted a normal life with her mum, and not to be the blasphemous holy mother.

"So insignificant
sleeping dormant deep inside of me"
And
"so many seeds have been sown in the field
and who could sprout up so blessedly
if I had died "

The god.

"if I had died
I would have never felt sad at all"

She just wanted to die.

"you will not hear me say I'm sorry"

After the burning, she was consumed by hatred for all things, her mother in particular.

"where is the light"

She's trapped in the otherworld.

"wonder if it's weeping somewhere"

She takes pure, unhinged despair to another level.

It's just my interpretation though.

(3) by Draniei:

I think this song is about a daughter and her mother. The daughter felt abandoned, but not abused, by the mother. And the mother is dying and now she wants to be part of her daughter's life before she leaves forever.

"You lie silent there before me
your tears they mean nothing to me"

Daughter is at the hospital, and her mother is on the hospital bed. The mother had cried herself to sleep, but the daughter (because she felt abandoned) doesn't feel any emotional attachment to her.

"the wind howling at the window"

This is alluding to how much she wants to say to her mother (the wind howling) but she stops herself (the window).

"the love you never gave
I give to you"

She is giving her mother her time, and she is caring for her while she is sick, she is loving her. Something her mother never did for her.

"Really don't deserve it"

The mother doesn't deserve being cared for by her daughter, because the mother never cared for her daughter.

"but now there's nothing you can do"

The daughter is planning to make the death of her mother quicker, as both mercy and vengeance.

"so sleep in your only memory of me
my dearest mother"

She wants her 'dearest mother' to know what her daughter feels, before she dies.

"Here's a lullaby to close your eyes good-bye
it was always you that I despised
I don't feel enough for you to cry oh well
here's a lullaby to close your eyes good-bye
goodbye
goodbye "

Here the daughter is telling her mother all that she feels. And that she will kill her. And her mother is crying.

"So insignificant
sleeping dormant deep inside of me"

She tells her mother that she is pregnant, but that her mother would never care.

"are you hiding away lost
under the sewers
maybe flying high in the clouds"

She has now killed her mother, and is wondering if her mother is in heaven (flying above the clouds) or in hell (under the sewers).

"perhaps you're happy without me"

She is wondering if her mother is happy dead, because she's not there.

and who could sprout up so blessedly
if I had died"

Here she wonders, if she wasn't there to take care of her mother, who would her mother have asked for.

"I would have never felt sad at all
you will not hear me say I'm sorry"

She is talking to herself about how she would never have been sad if her mother had other important people in her life.

"where is the light
wonder if it's weeping somewhere"

Here she is wondering if it was wrong to kill her mother.

it was always you that I despised

Here's a lullaby to close your eyes good-bye
it was always you that I despised
good-bye
good-bye
good-bye
good-bye

it was always you that I despised

it was always you that I despised
good-bye
good-bye
good-bye
good-bye"

This is her reliving the murder of her mother over and over again, and then she leaves the room and goes home.

The main theme of these opinions, and I share it, is that it is all about intense simultaneous feelings of love and hate for a mother, mostly hate following from either abuse or neglect, but love following from what is natural in a parent-child relationship. I agree that the likely symbolic narrator is Walter, though Walter is male and the singer is female. The gender mismatch may be explained by the good chance that this song was NOT recorded with the game Silent Hill 4 in mind, but it was selected from a catalogue to be somewhat fitting for the game.

Motoko

Pro

I agree, it might be about Alessa and her mother, but it's from Silent Hill 4, and there is still the possibility of it relating to henry or walter.
But wasn't Walter rejected by Cynthia? I think so. It might just be that. Because the songs do usually relate to the game whose soundtrack they're from. it seems clear now, that it might just be Walter/Cynthia. He tried to hit on her, and was rejected. multiple times.
This is also how, for example, Your Rain was relating to Cynthia, and I forgot what other tracks had vocals, I know there's Tender Sugar, but I don't remember any others.
ApostateAbe

Con

There is a set of tragic mixed-feeling relationships within the Silent Hill series, and this song may have been chosen just because it fits that general theme, not because it alludes to any single specific relationship.
Motoko

Pro

It usually does relate to specific characters at times, but perhaps that is true.
Perhaps it was just created because it fits the general atmosphere.
ApostateAbe

Con

Artists will often tell you that the "correct" meaning of any given artwork, especially music, is the meaning that you yourself find in it. They would very plausibly have their own meanings in mind when the conceive of such ideas, but it is often in their interest to leave the interpretation vague in order for the work to be wondered about, admired and talked about.
Motoko

Pro

Very true.
But sometimes artists put meanings into their art, and Konami tends to do that a lot.
ApostateAbe

Con

What's the meaning of that pose of the character in your avatar? It's distracting.
Motoko

Pro

It is? I never noticed.
The character is from an anime, I assume it's just her, she dresses like that would quite caring about the opinions of others.

Sorry for late response, kids were trying to get me permabanned over on chickensmoothie for pointing out photoshop does not normally cost 1k dollars.
ApostateAbe

Con

Cool, well, anyway, I HAVE MADE AN INDESTRUCTIVE CASE FOR MY POSITION AND ANNIHILATED THE INSTIGATOR! VOTE CON!

Also, here is another cool YouTube video.

Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 5 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
MotokoApostateAbeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Not much from either side, more of a discussion than debate. At least Johnny did a little research which is hard for him as the life of a Homicidal Maniac can be difficult.