Darnell27
tvellalott

Silent Hill is scarier than Resident evil

Darnell27

Pro

In 1999 my life was changed forever, I played a game so terrifying I had nightmares for days. This game is Silent Hill now over ten years later this game in my opinion still holds true as the best survival horror game to date only bested by Fatal Frame. But Resident Evil the more popular of the two is not as scary and has even taken a action route over the last couple of years. My argument is simple, the Silent Hill franchise is scarier than the Resident Evil franchise. Feel free to disagree
tvellalott

Con

OPENING
Resident Evil fanboy here! I've played and finished almost every Resident Evil game (all the main entries) since the original on PSX and I've played several Silent Hill games and I can say, without any doubt, that the Resident Evil games are scarier than the Silent Hill games. This debate will have spoilers about the storyline of both games, so be warned.

SOME BASIC ASSERTIONS TO GET THINGS STARTED
Resident Evil built suspense just as well as Silent Hill
One might argue "Oh, Resident Evil didn't have a world that changed into a freaky demon version of itself like Silent Hill" and they would indeed by correct. But do you REALLY need that? Resident Evil built suspense in different, yet equally effective ways. Rather than an overt freakiness, Resident Evil relied on camera angles, carefully placed "jump scares" (the first time the dog jumps through the window I messed my underpants), music, lack of music, unpredictable enemy placement/behaviour and minimal ammo and health to build a sense of foreboding. The opening of doors between rooms was such a clever loading screen. That door you've been trying to open? You know, the one you had to rearrange paintings while demonic crows watched, waiting for you to mess up so they could peck you to death. Well, now, when you have no ammo or health and you're limping along half-dead... we're going to introduce the Hunter! It's the strongest enemy you've face yet; it looks like a frog with ninja swords for arms.

Speaking of Hunters, Resident Evil clearly had the scarier enemies
I assert that Resident Evil has the scarier enemies.
-Zombies: Slowly creeping towards you to eat your flesh, the first time we see a zombie, we're totally unprepared and I maintain is one of the best moments in gaming history. You enter a room and you can hear it eating someone before you see it. Then, you come around the corner and the cut-scene plays and before you know it, it's on you. Only took a few bites for these things to kill you and dying was awful.
-Hunters: The opposite of zombies really, the "froggys" as I affectionately nicknamed them were nothing short of heart starting, because you'd enter a room and they'd be on you straight away and damn did they kill you fast.
-Lickers: Much like the hunters, these things were nasty and did a load of damage very quickly. Remember the room with the double sided glass in RE2? You get the key to one room rather early; the side where you can see into the other room. Later, you get the key to the other room and having already been in the first room, don't think much of it... Then a motherfvcking Licker bursts in.

I'll expand on more of the enemies later; we have plenty of space. I will devote quite a bit of space to the RE2 Tyrant and Nemesis.

CONCLUSION
I'll wait for my opponent to make some arguments before I continue. I have so much more to say, but I don't want to get bogged down. We have 5 rounds. ^_^

Darnell27

Pro

Aside from the many Silent Hills I have played and beaten, I have also played almost every Resident Evil with the exception of RE Zero, and RE Revalations. Which means I am more than equipped to dismantle your argument so I shall attack each section accordingly.

Rebuttal To - Resident Evil built suspense just as well as Silent Hill.

I will give you this some of RE's enviornments were creepy. From the mansion in the original to the streets of racoon city in 2&3, Hey even in Code Veronica treading around the damned prison as Claire Redfield had its ooh's and aah's. And also the music at times could tense things up. The Racoon City Precient theme is perhaps one of the most chilling and daunting pieces of music in survival horror gaming history. And then comes the infamous RE camera angle to say that this added to the scare of RE is the literal eqivalent of something sucker punching my inner child. That was perhaps the most frustrating aspect of the old school RE games. You combine that with the choppy character movements and the god awful aiming system mix in a tad bit of good ol' puzzle solving. A scary game is not produced no , instead you have a head ache of a game which turns what should have been a scary experience into a intellectual and resourceful type of expirence. And I say intellectual only because it takes great minds to sometimes figure out what needs to be done next. Quick thing I forgot to adress the lack of ammo in RE is not true it is a matter of consistently using up ammunition you forget just how much cases of ammo you actually pick up. And oh yes the eerie creepy door that slowly opens and creaks as you enter the next room get's old if you are running back and forth trying to accomplish a task. ( if this was which game was more annoying RE would win hands down)

Silent Hill however takes a different approach rather than trying to set up scares here and there, Konami made the games entirely creepy from beginning to end leaving your imagination to scare itself because you did not know what lies in the next coming alley or what abomination would creep up from the sewers to blindside you. One thing to point out about Silent Hill games are that they are generally darker in the sense of brightness compared to RE games. You take that combined with the consistent ash shower ( otherworld is a factor but that will be addressed later), the sounds of the radio/ walkie talkie, and the soothing music composed by Akira Yamoaka and you have one solid piece of gold in building suspense.

Rebuttal to - I assert Resident Evil has the scarier enemies
  1. Okay zombies the same creature that gives away it's location with its walk that sounds like a bad set of squeaky boots. And the moans that resembles an orgasm gone wrong. I don't see the fright here granted there can some points in the game they can appear out of the blue and make you jump. The arms through the boarded up windows in RE 2 is an excellent example of this. But to be legit frightened not so much.
  2. Lickers had their 5 seconds of fame in RE2 when it scurried across the window and had its little cutscene but then as soon as the " scary encounter " begins you realize it is just another creature and you blast that thing to kingdom come. Now of the creatures you listed here it should be noted the Licker had the most frightening appearance litteraly resembling a inside out human body with sloth like claws.
  3. Hunters are by far the most badass creature the first RE had to offer calling it scary is a stretch, challenging yes , unpredicatable yes, freakishly powerful oh yes, but scary no.

Unlike my opponent I will leave him in suspense with Silent Hill creatures. I'll dedicate a round to just describing the creatures.

tvellalott

Con

tvellalott forfeited this round.
Darnell27

Pro

Darnell27 forfeited this round.
tvellalott

Con

Cancel the other debate, we'll forfeit through this one quickly and call it a draw and then when it's done, you can challenge me to the new debate.
Darnell27

Pro

Darnell27 forfeited this round.
tvellalott

Con

tvellalott forfeited this round.
Darnell27

Pro

Darnell27 forfeited this round.
tvellalott

Con

tvellalott forfeited this round.
Posted by Darnell27 4 years ago
Darnell27
The fault is my own I actually revised this debate and it still is doesn't have a contender I'll make the debate period longer and we can restart this entire debate
Posted by tvellalott 4 years ago
tvellalott
I'm probably going to have to forfeit this debate; I didn't realise the time limit for each round was only 12 hours. >_<
Posted by Darnell27 4 years ago
Darnell27
I took a look at some other debates and I have seen the error I made I deeply apologize for the inconvenience
Posted by Darnell27 4 years ago
Darnell27
Oh ok I understand now
Posted by tvellalott 4 years ago
tvellalott
That's no problem, we were all new once.
Make arguments and support your arguments with evidence. You can't just make a debate and then pretend like your opponent made the debate and just rebutt what they have to say unless you specifically say that the burden of proof is on your opponent, which you didn't do.
Posted by Darnell27 4 years ago
Darnell27
You will have to excuse me I am new to this whole debating thing so you'll just have to bear with me, but there is three more rounds to go
Posted by tvellalott 4 years ago
tvellalott
It's just... you haven't made any arguments yet. You said "SH is scarier than RE" in round one and in round two you just said "No, you're wrong" about my arguments. :/
Posted by Darnell27 4 years ago
Darnell27
I'd rather think of it as a benefit of assumption
Posted by tvellalott 4 years ago
tvellalott
You know you have the burden of proof, right?
Posted by Darnell27 4 years ago
Darnell27
Lol I am sorry I rushed that response