simpleman
VampyIceMan

Sin

simpleman

Pro

I posit that sin is a measurement of affections, and not a classification of actions
VampyIceMan

Con

I accept the challenge
simpleman

Pro

I believe that action is preceded by intent. The environment of a person's heart is made manifest through actions. A person can scarcely act apart from the intent present in the heart. Action alone is meaningless without the assignment of a purpose. Therefore, I cannot see actions alone as qualifying as sin. Besides, the attitude of the heart can be counted sinful.
VampyIceMan

Con

Sin is an action made by the human. The thought of committing the sin is temptation, but carrying out the sin is a sin itself.
simpleman

Pro

But Jesus pointed out that looking upon a woman with lust was comitting adultery in one's heart. Also, he said that anger without just cause was tantamount to murder.
Jesus made no distinction between the attitude of the heart and the work of one's hands. To imply the work of one's hands as the basis of sin is to assert that it is possible to save oneself by righteous deeds, which is nullified by the concept of grace. This is the problem of religion; it always seeks change from the outside in, but faith changes a person from the inside out. A person's heart determines their actions, not the other way round.
All in all, a person produces action toward the end that it will produce happiness in the end. The lie that we labor under when we persist in sin is that it will make us happy. The truth that we labor under when we commit righteous deeds according to God's expectations is that He has promised us joy as a return.
VampyIceMan

Con

VampyIceMan forfeited this round.
Posted by simpleman 4 years ago
simpleman
I enjoyed our dialogue. Thank you