ZainabAshraf
WillRiley

Single Sex Schools Are Good for Education.

WillRiley

ZainabAshraf

Con

Co-educational schools are important because they prepare students better for the real world, and do not attempt to segregate students from the realities of adult life.
Co educational schools also help in bringing in Gender Equality because males and females are equal in the classroom and are in par with each other. On the other hand, Single Sex Schools promotes sexism and creates a barrier between both the genders.
That not being enough, single sex schools also promote poor social skills in children because obviously in today's world I believe, engaging with the opposite gender is vital in all fields from home to work once an individual is over with school.
WillRiley

Pro

As this debate is based on whether Single Sex schools are good for education, I do not have to prove that Single Sex schools are better, only that they are in some ways good for education.

"Some parents don't want their children to be in mixed-gender classrooms because, especially at certain ages, students of the opposite sex can be a distraction.

Leonard Sax and others agree that merely placing boys in separate classrooms from girls accomplishes little. But single-sex education enhances student success when teachers use techniques geared toward the gender of their students.

Some research indicates that girls learn better when classroom temperature is warm, while boys perform better in cooler classrooms. If that's true, then the temperature in a single-sex classroom could be set to optimize the learning of either male or female students.

Some research and reports from educators suggest that single-sex education can broaden the educational prospects for both girls and boys. Advocates claim co-ed schools tend to reinforce gender stereotypes, while single-sex schools can break down gender stereotypes. For example, girls are free of the pressure to compete with boys in male-dominated subjects such as math and science. Boys, on the other hand, can more easily pursue traditionally "feminine" interests such as music and poetry. One mother, whose daughter has attended a girls-only school for three years, shares her experience on the GreatSchools parent community: "I feel that the single gender environment has given her a level of confidence and informed interest in math and science that she may not have had otherwise."

Federal law supports the option of single-sex education. In 2006, Education Secretary Margaret Spellings eased federal regulations, allowing schools to offer single-sex classrooms and schools, as long as such options are completely voluntary. This move gives parents and school districts greater flexibility." [1]
These are some arguments from the website listed below.
[1] http://www.greatschools.org...
ZainabAshraf

Con

Some parents don't want their children to be in mixed-gender classrooms because, especially at certain ages, students of the opposite sex can be a distraction.

1) Are you trying to state that when a child has gotten over with school, he/she wouldn't mingle with the opposite gender at work or at home? Distraction? It is this mentality that is drawing the line between girls and boys. Single sex schools are paving the way for gender discrimination. Later in life, it is these kids who are going to have trouble mingling in society. If distraction is what you're talking about, then maybe we should have a totally single sex only workplace too? The opposite gender isn't a distraction, by learning to live and study with them, we are helping the individual to develop and be ready for what the future holds! for what REALITY holds.

Leonard Sax and others agree that merely placing boys in separate classrooms from girls accomplishes little. But single-sex education enhances student success when teachers use techniques geared toward the gender of their students.Some research indicates that girls learn better when classroom temperature is warm, while boys perform better in cooler classrooms. If that's true, then the temperature in a single-sex classroom could be set to optimize the learning of either male or female students.

2)Hats off to Leonard Sax! Okay, maybe it would work for different gender, but now think for later on, are these kids going to be living in a single sex world only? What is school for? Preparing them for the reality after their school life is over right? No one is going to make use of these so called "techniques" later in life for these kids who have been educated in Single Sex schools alone! It is going to be difficult for them, what these techniques are doing is making individuals feel "comfortable". NO, reality isn't comfortable. It is when a child is young, can he/she moulded properly. What these techniques are doing is moulding them for a future that is totally different.
Are students only going to be living/working in hot/cold workplace?! According to what they the feel comfortable in? NO! No one is going to make them feel comfortable later on in life. They have to adjust. By making them adjust at a young age, we're helping them adapt to new surroundings. These kids in single sex schools are going to have a VERY hard time adapting to new environments where the the opposite gender is present.

Now, the rest you have typed is a copy paste directly from the Internet. I can merrily do the same too. Instead I have given my own opinions and genuine writings, that is what is expected in a debate.
WillRiley

Pro

I believe that I have fulfilled my BoP by providing reasons that, at least in some areas, Single-Sex Schools are good for Education. Sure, there are some negative affects, but there are also several good ones. Education is not necessarily workplace preparation.

Education-
noun: education; noun: an education
1.
the process of receiving or giving systematic instruction, especially at a school or university.
If all school was for was for workplace preparation, why not just do away with the subject of History, being that most jobs don't require any historical knowledge. School is for making people educated. Students need to learn. If they can learn better a certain way, then why should you hinder the learning process?
There are many people over the years that have gone to Boy's or Girl's only schools. To my knowledge, there are not usually any major issues with people after they are into the workforce.

To your point here-
"1) Are you trying to state that when a child has gotten over with school, he/she wouldn't mingle with the opposite gender at work or at home? Distraction?"
You know what I mean. There is no reason to be demeaning about it. As I high school student myself, I can attest to the fact that girls can certainly be a distraction. If you think about it, they could have a Co-Ed lunch and any free-times or recreational events. However, there are pros of having single sex classroom environments. There is no reason that your assumptions about their psychological development should get in the way of their path for knowledge.
ZainabAshraf

Con

I, as a high school student too, know very well the meaning of Education.
But we are not talking about education. We are talking about the impact of being educated in a Single sex school.

You yourself have agreed that school is for making people educated. Exactly, its just not book based learning, its even moral based learning that makes you ready for the real world. By making educating students in an environment in which they will be able to indulge with the other gender, what you're doing is making them ready for the REAL world. Isn't that what school is all about?
Hindering the learning process? You're not hindering any process, you're merrily making them learn to ADJUST to different environments. Like I have already said, nobody is going to make a student feel comfortable later on life. It may seem "hindering" but what single sex schools are doing is hindering the child's future by making it hard for them later. It is because we are learning to be ready for the future that we go to learn in schools yes? Because everyone wants a bright future.

"There are many people over the years that have gone to Boy's or Girl's only schools. To my knowledge, there are not usually any major issues with people after they are into the workforce."

-Well, some students might easily adapt to their workplace later on in life, but there are many more who will feel awkward or maybe just not comfortable mingling with the other sex because they have been secluded in an environment in which there has been only ONE gender.
Single sex schools might give the right education and all that. But they're not giving the life skills required for the child. And in a workplace, life skills that includes, learning to work with others, play a major role.
School life makes up just 14-15 years of an individuals life. You cannot afford to make a person feel "comfortable" for just those years and make it difficult for them to adapt later on in the major years after school life.

Single-sex education is ineffective, misguided and may actually increase gender stereotyping, because in these schools where single sex education is prevalent neither sex would be easily able to accept gender differences. Not only that, it doesn't allow either of the sexes to interact and creates a virtual barrier between the two.

It is funny how girls can be distraction for you. Later on, girls might be working with you, you might be asked to spear a project with the other gender, you cannot call them a "distraction" and not do the job, can you? Being in a Co-Ed school, it will be much easier for you to do the job, because you wouldn't be shy or feeling different since you have already spent your school life with other gender.

I'm not stating that Co-ed schools are the best, even it has cons, but I'm just stating that Co-Ed schools are much better for a child's growth overall. I respect your opinions and thoughts.
Thank you very much for taking part in this debate!
WillRiley

Pro

Thank you as well for the engaging debate.
I believe that I have fulfilled by BoP and proved that at least in some ways Single Sex Schools are good for education. My Con essentially gives a concession here-
"I'm not stating that Co-ed schools are the best, even it has cons, but I'm just stating that Co-Ed schools are much better for a child's growth overall."
Essentially, my opponent admits that there are upsides and downsides to both of our sides. Also, I admit that Co-Ed schools are probably better. However, this is not the topic of the debate. Had this debate been over which was BETTER, I would lose.
This debate is over whether or not it is GOOD. Which, I have shown, is true.
Please, I urge you to vote Pro.
Posted by lillawyer 2 years ago
lillawyer
co-ed schools allow for the competitive nature to flow through each individual child. Females tend to excel better in "male-dominated" subjects when males are present. Males choose not to participate is subjects such as poetry and music because of their delusion that it's more "feminine." Also The amounts of estrogen and testosterone in single sex schools are far greater causing more violence and more attempts to show that one is better than another
Vote Placed by JackFritschy 2 years ago
JackFritschy
ZainabAshrafWillRileyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro showed lots of evidence to prove his points.
Vote Placed by o0jeannie0o 2 years ago
o0jeannie0o
ZainabAshrafWillRileyTied
Reasons for voting decision: con kept restating same argument over and over without any proof, this gives all points to pro (conduct, convincing, reliable sources). Pro and con also draw on their own lives at school and how it is effecting them. I don't believe con has the experiences necessary to know what "grown ups" have to deal with in general. I personally know that as a grown up I am not as easily detracted by sex as i was as a teen, I do not have to deal with people i do not like, and i was not prepared for grown up life from high school. Until the classes teach you how to properly pay bills, budget acording to your real lifestyle and go on dates with your "future husband" their job is not to prepare you for your grown up life, Just to educate your brain so you can earn a living and be a positive part of society.