jacksonhaynes
Alex.Fisher

Single-sex education is best for students

jacksonhaynes

Pro

Id like to begin the debate by saying that I believe single-sex education is better for the students.

My first point in the argument is that boys and girls distract each other from their education, especially in adolescence as their sexual and emotional sides are developing. The boys and girls will spend too much time attempting to impress or even sexually harassing each other in some cases (particularly boys toward girls).
Academic competition between the sexes is unhealthy and only adds to unhappiness and anxiety among weaker students.

Id like to conclude my argument with a quote from Tricia Kelleher, a school principal... 'Rather than girls defining themselves by their interests, they define themselves by what the boys think of them or what other girls think boys think of them".
Alex.Fisher

Con

I will start my argument by saying I believe that co-educational facilities are more beneficial to the students.

This view is because of what I see as a fundamental flaw in the argument for single-sex education. If pupils are withheld from interaction with the opposite sex, then when are they going to learn how to interact? Education is not just academic - school is a very important form of social education. If pupils spend their childhood primarily among their own sex, when they are released into the workplace, they will not understand the opposite sex and will not be able to work effectively with them. Warped views and male/female chauvinism are common among children, and co-education helps to combat this problem.

You also raise the point of "distraction". In all single-sex schools I have heard of, there are teachers of the opposite sex. Why is this any different to pupils of the opposite sex in terms of distraction? Surely a 25 year old, handsome Geography teacher in an all girls school will produce the same reaction? (or vice-vera in an all boys school) Of course you could have the teachers the same sex as the pupils but wouldn't that leave the same problem as earlier... pupils' distorted views of the opposite sex from a lack of exposure?

Finally, as regards to academic competition, it will always be there, between sexes or between pupils of the same sex. The point of academic competition is therefore irrelevant as single-sex education will not change this at all, as pupils naturally compare themselves to their peers regardless of sex.
jacksonhaynes

Pro

jacksonhaynes forfeited this round.
Alex.Fisher

Con

You alright there?
jacksonhaynes

Pro

jacksonhaynes forfeited this round.
Posted by 0320earthling 3 years ago
0320earthling
I can see what could've been the greatest president of the U.S. freezing up in his electoral speech because he sees a beautiful woman standing in the front.