Nag_Adi
Complicated_Mind

Single-sex schools are better for education

Complicated_Mind

Nag_Adi

Con

The motion for this debate is:

Single-sex schools are better for education than co-educational schools.

I shall be debating against the motion and defend my view that Co-Ed Schools are actually better for education.

This debate has 30 minutes to prepare for your next argument so,
PLEASE DO NOT ACCEPT THE REQUEST IF YOU CANNOT BE ONLINE AND WILL FORFEIT YOUR ROUNDS.

R1: Introductory statement by Pro
R2-R3: Additional arguments and Rebuttals.
R4: Closing statements.

Any additional arguments made in round 5 will have no bearing in this debate and must be ignored by the voters.

I hope that this will be a healthy debate.
Best of luck.
Complicated_Mind

Pro

I accept to the terms of this debate, and promise I will not forfeit any rounds so long as my opponent extends the favor.

I will be affirming that single-sex schools are, on balance, more beneficial than co-ed environments. My opponent will be negating my case.

Single-sex ed schools - learning environments with exclusively one biological sex.
Co-ed schools - learning environments with both biological sexes.

Normally, since I am arguing against what the status quo usually is, and the fact that I am affirming, I would have BOP and would usually start first. However, my opponent has stated I have to make introductory statement, so that means I will be very brief for the sake of fairness for my opponent. Since I am not really actually arguing my case in this first round as per my opponent's request, I proclaim that he is allowed to rebut my case in round two in the final round, while I do my rebutting in round two, as we both have one round of argumentation and one round of rebutting that way.

I will make core arguments that revolve around the following: the opposite sex generally poses as a distraction in the classroom, in early ages boys and girls are developing differently so a different learning environment is a must, and that boys and girls have different strengths, weaknesses, and learning styles. However, if character limits allow, I may add more argumentation and will elaborate on these points, since this round is only an introduction.

Thanks for the opportunity, Con.
Nag_Adi

Con

Nag_Adi forfeited this round.
Complicated_Mind

Pro

Wow, I am disappointed. To be fair, I will pass this round in hopes that my opponent doesn't forfeit again. In the case that he DOES respond next round, round three will be our argumentation, while round four will be rebuttals and closing statements. If my opponent chooses to post arguments next round, disregard this round, voters. If he forfeits one more, that should prove as a concession from Con and mean an automatic win for me.

With that, I hand this back to my opponent, who hopefully does not forfeit again.

Good luck, Con.
Nag_Adi

Con

I am really sorry for the forfeiture. The irony here being my demands of there being no forfeitures. Anyway please ignore round one voters so that we may have a competitive debate. I thank Pro for being benevolent and generous enough to pass the round and I shall with no further delay start.

I would want to start by recalling an incident that involved me. Being from a boy's school I have always been envious of students from co-ed schools where EVERYONE had a girlfriend. In the eyes of an adolescent having a girlfriend was more of a social status than a companion. Well, I couldn't have one. So what me and my other friends used to do was bunk class and roam around the girl's school down the street hoping to catch a few guilty glimpse and maybe if we're lucky, interact with someone.

Childish? Well, what else could we do? School is possibly the only place where you can meet girls. [ Not taking into account guys who message girls on Facebook 'add me bby m blcked' ]

The entire point of this anecdote was to remind everyone that, you have done it and so have I. Interaction with the opposite sex will be a 'distraction' from studies depending on whose perspective it is. You're always going to find ways to interact with the opposite sex in your entire school life. It is the reality of the world. You will always be in an environment that is both male and female and Co-Ed schools indirectly prepare you on communicating with the opposite sex

Well due to time constraints due to reasons stated in the comments, I cannot state few facts that I had intended to. So that'll be in the next round

Over to you Pro.
I await your rebuttals and arguments

Complicated_Mind

Pro

Thanks Con, I look forward to it.

=====My Case====

=C1: Distraction= Boys and girls often pose a distraction to one another. As they are actively trying get a boyfriend or girlfriend, they, as a result, pay less attention to their schoolwork. This results in preoccupied and unfocused students. I, from personal experience, have witness boyfriends and girlfriends ditching school together, not doing their homework to make out, etc., and frankly, it is disturbing that they prioritize such things above schoolwork. However, nothing else should be expected from adolescents.

=C2: Different Learning Styles= Boys and girls have brains that LITERALLY work differently. For example, if you were to look at a kindergarten classroom with just boys, and a kindergarten class with just girls, it is quite astounding at how different the children generally act. Boys have to move around, make noises, and cannot sit still for as long as girls. Little girls, however, are a different story, and can generally behave better.

Such an age is a critical time of brain and developmental growth in both boys and girls. Each child needs to be catered to in the way that's most beneficial for the CHILD, or else the child will suffer academically and mentally. Separating the genders will help minimize many problems.

Differences, though subtle, continue into teenhood. In fact, academic differences are still there, likely due to co-ed mixing, which hinders a child's growth from the start. (ESPECIALLY from the start). Girls, on average, perform better overall in school. This helps me lead into my final contention.

=C3: Hinders Boys= Co-ed mixing hinders boys from an early age for a plethora of reasons. The education system, in general, caters to girls: you are taught to sit still in school, boys are more prone to learning disabilities, girls mature quicker, and so on. With all these disadvantages, it's not wonder girls soar in school when girls are taught in the way best for girls, but boys aren't.
Nag_Adi

Con

This being the last round, I shall just present rebuttals and closing statements.

C1: My anecdote completely negates Pros case stating that 'Boys and girls often pose a distraction to one another.' Well be it a same-sex school, the 'need' to have a girlfriend/boyfriend is just greater in case of students from single gender schools. I, stand a personal testament to this, with my more than occasional trips down the road to the Girl's School. Its the genreal consensus that Co-Ed schools are more preferable.[1]

C2:
Coed schools provide opportunities for girls and boys to interact together meaningfully as they learn. What girls dont understand boys can explain and vice versa.Co-Ed leads to a healthier learning environment. They learn to respect one another and cooperate as equals. Coed schools can offer both boys and girls a more extensive range of extracurricular activities where they can either participate separately or together. Also Pro provides no citation for his/her claim that 'Boys and girls have brains that LITERALLY work differently About 80% boys and girls learn the same way. [2]
Complicated_Mind

Pro

====Rebuttals====

My opponent's sole premise revolves around him and his friends preferring the idea of co-ed schools. This is irrelevant. Just because my opponent and a few of his friends wanted girlfriends does not justify the hindrance of boys' education, nor does it negate any of my other cases; if anything it proves my point. Girls being close-by distracted them from their education, which is why boys and girls schools should be far away.

My opponent and his friends could have easily met with the girls after school, or get acquainted with them through social networking. It was their choice (and the wrong choice) to ditch school to talk to them. They could have joined a club, as another example.

Imagine how distracted from your schoolwork you would have been if they were in the same CLASS as you. Teenage horniness does not justify hindering the education of our youth. End of story.

====Closing Statements====

I will now strengthen and summarize my points:

1. The sexes provide too much distraction to each other, as evidenced by Con's personal experience. This hinders their education greatly.

2. We do not live in a utopia society. As disheartening as it is, it is unlikely the genders will help each other significantly. Their brains, on average, work differently, and as a result, they need different environments to be successful. Because they are mixed, the overall education of the children ultimately suffer. Teachers encourage talking out feelings, sitting still, not moving around except in elective courses. This screws over most boys.

3. Lastly, boys in particular are hindered. Girls mature quickly, have less learning disabilities, and are in an environment that is suited to their natural learning styles, unlike boys. This is likely why boys have a higher dropout rate.

====Sources====

http://www.singlesexschools.org...
http://www.livescience.com...
http://www.infoplease.com...
Posted by Complicated_Mind 1 year ago
Complicated_Mind
One last comment: what I meant by their brains working differently is that more boys' brains have dyslexia and other stuff like that, so in that way their brains, on balance, are different than girls. Plus behavioral things I discussed is due to different brains, but I didn't have enough characters left to elaborate on it.
Posted by Complicated_Mind 1 year ago
Complicated_Mind
Oh, as a side note, I actually lean towards thinking co-ed is better, but I decided to argue for the other POV for fun, something I've been doing lately. However, my arguments aren't any less strong because of it. Good luck in future debates.
Posted by Complicated_Mind 1 year ago
Complicated_Mind
I'm somewhat tired of quickfire debating atm. Perhaps we can re-debate this another time. It was fun, though. You did good for only having five minutes :P anyway decent job for your first time.
Posted by Nag_Adi 1 year ago
Nag_Adi
Anyway. Citations [1]http://www.debate.org...
[2] http://phys.org...
Posted by Nag_Adi 1 year ago
Nag_Adi
*greater.
Posted by Nag_Adi 1 year ago
Nag_Adi
Yes. it did. couldnt finish. wrote it in 5 mins. Iwas thinking. want to start the same debate again? Switched to WiFi. Net should be smooth. With a great time limit. what say? I will automatically forfeit from this because my purpose here is to have competitive debates than winning. :)
Posted by Complicated_Mind 1 year ago
Complicated_Mind
Nevermind. It looks like my computer had a delay. Again, my bad.
Posted by Complicated_Mind 1 year ago
Complicated_Mind
Did your internet crash again?
Posted by katromanach 1 year ago
katromanach
A Co Ed school is a healthier environment.
Posted by Complicated_Mind 1 year ago
Complicated_Mind
It's fine, stuff happens.
Vote Placed by Lexus 1 year ago
Lexus
Nag_AdiComplicated_MindTied
Reasons for voting decision: personal experiences are great, con, but you need a source to back up your claims. pro proved single sex schools are better, and did not forfeit. S&G, arguments, and conduct to them
Vote Placed by That1User 1 year ago
That1User
Nag_AdiComplicated_MindTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited and pro gave better arguments as to why single-sex schools are better for education. Also, pro provided sources, while con did not.