MasturDebatur
Shadow-Dragon

Single-sex schools are better than multi-sex

Shadow-Dragon

MasturDebatur

Con

I'm drawing a blank and for whatever reason can't think of the word for more than one gender.

What I'm talking about is the idea that schools with one gender (male/female) are more beneficial to their students than schools that have both genders.

I am against this idea.

Schools should have both genders. I will go into more detail once Pro accepts.

I have made this a short debate as it is a topic for University that I am discussing and would enjoy if someone would entertain argument quickly so I can get both sides of the coin.

Thanks in advance for anyone who accepts!

Shadow-Dragon

Pro

I accept this debate. I will allow my opponent to give his side first, as per tradition on this site.
Thanks.

MasturDebatur

Con

Thanks for accepting, Shadow! And thanks for clarifying rules and tradition on this site.

I grew up in Co-Ed (thanks again, David) schools, and at first I found it to be somewhat of a distraction (with dating and peer pressure and stuff like that) but once I graduated, started working, and attending post-secondary, I quickly realized how essential co-ed schooling is.

School (primarily elementary and secondary) is not strictly for academic education. Although it is the main purpose, and necessary primarily through elementary, school is a "kick-starter" for the real world. We grow up with people of the same age range, learn communication skills and how to interact with others, as well as dating and relationships; something necessary to the advancement of the human race.

If one wants to strictly study one subject, they are not able to in secondary school, as one must pass all mandatory courses (math, science, English, etc) as well. When you graduate secondary school, you can go on to college or university to study further what you would like to major in, and by that time, you have most likely made up your mind regarding a career path. Elementary school is good for learning the basic fundamentals of academics such as math and sciences, as well as English, but secondary schools help a lot more with the social aspect of living.

Secondary school introduces us to dating and relationships, as we're hitting and passing puberty, and readies us for actual relationships when we're out of secondary school and actually adults. Secondary school is a much more social aspect of the education system, and allows us to be a bit more social and accepts more "mature" aspects of our cultures. To deny us the ability to interact with the opposite sex until we're 18 (or around there) on a regular basis doesn't prepare anyone for the real world and ends up screwing a lot of people over, as they don't know how to interact with people in order to pursue a relationship. Although you could argue that we don't need to start a relationship right when we're out of secondary, I could simply say we don't need to find a job right when we're out of secondary. I didn't have a job for about a year and a half after, but dated girls and became more comfortable interacting with them (secondary helped) and prepared myself more for when I want to have a family and continue the human race (except not on a grand of a scale as that sounds.)

Advancing the human race is more important than being a lawyer. Sooner is better than later, and to not allow us to at least prepare for that in a somewhat unnecessary environment (secondary school) is ridiculous and detrimental to our growth as a species with the ability to reason.

Thanks again for accepting and again for clarifying some things about this site! Looking forward to hearing your side of this.
Shadow-Dragon

Pro

Okay, let's begin with some arguments in support of single-sex schools (SSS).

Gender-Bias

As numerous studies show{1}, teachers of one gender are inherently biased towards students of the same gender. Whether it be in-class favoritism, or grading regarding their personal liking of the student, it is difficult to argue that bias is an issue. In a co-ed classroom and school, this gender bias will be even more noticeable and will have a negative effect on student learning.

Distraction

Of course, even as my opponent admits to, there is a distraction in class when it comes to male-female relationships. This not only affects student who are involved in this relationship, but those outside as well. Seeing a couple flirting in the back of the classroom definitely takes away from the optimal learning environment.
Even when trying to avoid these relationships, people, including myself at times, will try to act their best simply to impress the opposite gender. Once again, this takes away from the learning experience.

However, from personal experience with friends, I can attest to the fact that an all-male school is much more comfortable.
The following is a real quote from my friend (almost exact) : "Dude, the classes are so laid back. The teachers are so chill."
In his school, which will not be named, the all boy environment helps him and his classmates remain focused, without having to worry about how they smell, or why the girl beside them just touched their arm.

The following in-depth article{2} highlights the important factors when considering a similar resolution, and conclude that single-sex schools are better in terms of academic performance.

Finally, my opponent, as many others have in the past, tries to argue that the real world will be co-ed, so the classroom should be as well. This, however, is a flawed argument.

There are so many different factors involved between school and the real life.
In addition, students who attend a single-sex school do not face anymore difficulty in finding a partner; one has to realize that these people will be out of the house/school and will get to see the opposite gender in many places in public.

In conclusion, single-sex schools are shown to be better for academic performance, as seen in numerous studies. SSS allow students, especcially high-schoolers with the "raging hormones", to perform without distraction. Students are more focused, and learn to enjoy and appreciate that environment.

I rest my case.

Thanks for this debate.

{1} http://www.education.com...
{2} http://www.apa.org...
Posted by Shadow-Dragon 3 years ago
Shadow-Dragon
Thank you for all of those who read, or voted, this debate. I hope you all enjoyed this debate.
Posted by Shadow-Dragon 3 years ago
Shadow-Dragon
All I ask of both of you is to not just quit this site so early.
As a member who has been on here for about 1/2 a year, I see so many people do one debate, then leave the site and not return.

Make sure you both come back to the site as it is very interesting once you get into it.

Just some advice. This is a great place.

Thanks for the debate.
Posted by MasturDebatur 3 years ago
MasturDebatur
Thanks, you brought up some excellent points! Glad we could have this brief debate!
Posted by LubricantSanta 3 years ago
LubricantSanta
Shoot, I wanted to take this one.
Posted by Shadow-Dragon 3 years ago
Shadow-Dragon
Okay, so please post soon, or really late. I wouldn't want to miss the deadline which is an automatic forfeit.
Posted by MasturDebatur 3 years ago
MasturDebatur
Thanks, I thought with the option of 5 minute debates that there would at least be some people who are open to quick debates like these. Glad you accepted though!

And thanks, David.
Posted by Shadow-Dragon 3 years ago
Shadow-Dragon
Also, just a tip, do not make the time to post arguments less than 24 hours. People aren't on the site for that long, and I don't know when you're planning on posting your argument.
Posted by Shadow-Dragon 3 years ago
Shadow-Dragon
Two rounds? I'll accept first round, you give your argument, then I'll close second round.
Posted by AlternativeDavid 3 years ago
AlternativeDavid
The word is co-ed
Vote Placed by michael90000 3 years ago
michael90000
MasturDebaturShadow-DragonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Provided evidence to his case and was overall more convincing.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
MasturDebaturShadow-DragonTied
Reasons for voting decision: con presented no real evidence...
Vote Placed by Rosenley 3 years ago
Rosenley
MasturDebaturShadow-DragonTied
Reasons for voting decision: None needed!
Vote Placed by dynamicduodebaters 3 years ago
dynamicduodebaters
MasturDebaturShadow-DragonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had sources. and brought evidence. Con just had anecdotes,