NSG
kels1123

Single sex schools

Con Tied Pro

NSG

Con

I am against single sex schools.

I have always been studying in the co-education schools, and have realized that with the daily company of males, as they are totally different humans both in the was they work and how they view life in general, half of my discovering around life has evolved through the connection with the opposite sex in school. Like half of your own being develops from both your mother and father, half and half, I believe living daily lives with the opposite sex make half of yourself during developing years. My school work in general had improved due to constantly being forced different opinions and views from boys, that I understand the world a lot more from being around them. Also it is against nature to be separated from the other sex which at the end of the day, we wouldn't be living without.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Merry Christmas.:)
kels1123

Pro

Have you ever gone to a school that was all females? If not then you really can't say you are against them. I have gone to both a school with both sexes and an all girls school. A single sex school can be very beneficial. As you all know , many times there will be a distracting male teen known as the class clown (again I went to an all girls school, obviously never an all boy school so I can only tell it from my side) who will try and show off to the girls . At my school there were no longer any distractions in class. Also we were able to learn to be strong independent females. We were taught how to have great self esteem and know that we are just as valuable as any male student. We also were able to be comfortable all the time. As teenagers it is nice to talk to your teachers and class openly about "girl" stuff as I am sure boys felt they could talk about "guy " stuff at an all guys school. It never stopped me from having guy friends and I had the same bf 10th grade until I was 19 so it hardly effected by love life. I was taught to respect myself as a women , put myself first. You say we need the opposite sex to learn , I don't think that is true at all from either side.I think it can put kids in a more comfortable environment and I am not putting down coed schools , just don't understand how anyone can say a single sex school is a bad thing.
NSG

Con

Still I am against single sex school.
(Everything has both sides, you can argue with that, but I am believe there is more advantage in co-educational systems than in single sex schools).

1998 survey from the American Association of University Women, a long-time advocate of single-sex education, admitted that girls from such schools did not in fact show academic improvement(http://scholar.lib.vt.edu...). That they are more inclined towards maths and sciences is of questionable importance to society as a whole. As the report noted, "boys and girls both thrive when the elements of good education are there, elements like smaller classes, focused academic curriculum and gender-fair instruction". These can all be present in co-educational schools.

The formative years of children are the best time to expose them to the company of the other gender, in order that they may learn each others' behaviour and be better prepared for adult life. The number of subjects benefiting from single-sex discussion is so small that this could easily be organised within a co-educational system.

In the States, a long-standing controversy over the Virginia Military Institute resulted in a landmark Supreme Court ruling, in June 1996, that the institute must admit women. Have you thought about why VMI decided to take women students? Do think the female students in VMI ( and any other schools)are not taught be to as strong as the females in women's school?

Thank you Kels, Merry Christmas! :)
kels1123

Pro

Again I will ask , have you ever attended a single sex school? I have attended both single sex and co-ed. I was on the honor roll all 4 years at a college level, as was the majority of my school. If your grades were not kept up, you were asked to leave. There were girls in my school that were extremely good at all different subjects. I do not believe you need to go to school with the opposite sex to perform well. You are not at school to interact with the opposite sex , you are in school to learn.

Here are some numbers I found on the subject
"In a twenty-year Australian study of 270,000 students, Dr. Ken Rowe found that both boys and girls performed between 15 and 22 percentile points higher on standardized tests when they went to separate schools."

"A 2001 British study of 2954 high schools and 979 primary schools showed that while boys at the lowest ends academically improved the most in single sex schools, nearly every girl regardless of her ability or socio-economic status performed better in single sex classrooms than co-ed ones. The study concluded that single sex education was particularly beneficial to girls. Highest achieving students in this study were girls in single sex schools followed by co-ed girls, then boys in single sex schools and finally co-ed boys. The study noted that every one of the top fifty elementary schools and top twenty high schools in Britain are single sex"

"In all-girls schools, girls take over all the positions of leadership in the school whether it's drama, sports, yearbook, or debate team. Students are more likely to continue in math and science and athletics. For example, 14% major in math compared to 10% of boys and only 3% of girls in co-ed schools."

I am not saying that Co-Ed is bad , but there are many advantages of single sex schools as well. As I have said I have been to both and I can say that I preferred my all girls high school to the co ed elementary school. In the all Girls school , I was able to concentrate more. I was very relaxed and more confident. I have never been unable to speak to and be comfortable around the opposite sex, if anything I developed a strong sense of who I am , and what I deserve, My self esteem was improved by attending the HS I did. My grades were wonderful and I received a top of the line education. When I went to college, I was at the top of my classes. I actually was bored as I had already read every book they assigned in my english class. I have never settled for less with any bf and I have a wonderful husband. Single sex education never affected me in a positive way. I believe there can be advantages of both co-ed and single sex schools , but to say that kids suffer at a single sex school is incorrect. I do not need men to learn. I am capable of learning in any environment. I think unless you have attended both types of schools , you can't make an accurate assessment on both sides.

Merry Christmas:) Please excuse any typos , I am exhausted and have been up wrapping my daughter's presents all night :)
NSG

Con

No, I didn't attend any single school. I have weighed the opportunity cost of one and the other, coming to decide which one prepares me better for the real world.

You have been insisting that the female school has helped YOU achieve more than you could in co educational schools. However, the world is not all bout you, all about the females. We are both women, we both know that females mature earlier than males. In fact boys and girls are a good influence on each other, engendering good behaviour and maturity – particularly as teenage girls usually exhibit greater responsibility than boys of the same age. We can actually help the males! :D Academic competition between the sexes is a spur to better performance at school.

You are exactly right that we go to school to learn, not to interact with the opposite sex. In the coeducational schools, I have competed with males student, learned their logical thinking process and influenced to be better in maths and science. I didn't date any of the males when I was in college. If the individual has strong self control, then he/she would not be distracted by the opposite sex.

We live and learn, if we are not open to the new things, to the rest of the world, we will be left behind. At some point in our lives males and females need to learn to work together. It's good preparation for the real world! In real world, it is not about just one gender. Even if you obtained higher academic achievement in your previous single sex school, that is not the only thing society measures you at. Co educational schools give both male and female students an opportunity to see how the other works under stress, offer more practical studies such as engineering courses and larger variety of computer technology courses. Again, it's useful experience for the real world.

Merry Christmas to your family as well! I am sure you have lovely kids just like youself.:)
kels1123

Pro

Okay , but I will also tell you that there are brother schools to the school I went. There are 3 all boy schools in my area . They also have college prep classes and the turnabout for colleges in all these schools is 99%. I know many males that have attended these schools , performed extremely well and went on to college. My uncle is one of them and him and I are only a few years apart. He went to college and got his bachelors in science. He didn't need females to perform well in school. How you do in school doesn't depend on who is the classes you attend , but your own drive and motivation, your teachers , the quality of the education you receive , and often if their are distractions. Single sex schools do not hurt a student in any way. You do not need to go to school with one sex or another to get a good education. The boys and girls schools in my area , give out so many scholarships because they have alumnae that have gone on to graduate from Harvard , Boston College, Boston University , and many other colleges. They have alumnae that are doctors , lawyers, nurses, computer programmers, architects, and many other professions that donate money to their alma mater. How did they perform so well if it hurts to go to a single sex school.
Why do you need anyone of the opposite sex in your school to perform well? You don't. If you think that going to a single sex school will cause you to not be able to compete with males in the workforce you are mistaken ... because you are taught in these single sex schools that you can do anything you want to do. You are not afraid in anyway of competing with the males. Nor are the males afraid of competing with females. Also maybe you yourself were not distracted by the males but again as you pointed out that is you personally. I think the best thing for any student is to attend a school that is the environment that is best for them as an individual. I do not agree with you , from my own personal experience or from studies I have read that anyone needs the opposite sex in the classroom to perform exceptionally. My sister and I both went to all girls schools, and my uncle to an all boys school and we all performed better than my brother who went to a co-ed school as well as my cousins.
Posted by padfo0t 9 years ago
padfo0t
yOU PROBABLY GO TO MARLBOROUGH

-DEBATING TOURNAMENT TOPIC
-GO TO ALL GIRLS SCHOOL
-HAS LOTS OF RESEARCH

gO HW!!!
Posted by padfo0t 9 years ago
padfo0t
R U going to the Windward Debate Tournament??
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
lol debate777 how is it unjust ??? and a lie to the real world?
Posted by debate777 9 years ago
debate777
A single sex school is not only a lie to the real world, it is unjust!!!
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
That is not true that because you go to a single sex school you can not talk to the opposite sex. Whether or not you are comfortable talking to the opposite sex is all about your personality. I know people that went to coed schools that can't talk to the opposite sex. I also know people that went to single sex schools that have no problems talking to people of the opposite sex. Also I went to an all girls school and I am very far from sexist, as were most of the girls at my school.
Posted by Miserlou 9 years ago
Miserlou
I would hate, hate, hate, attending a single sex school. It would probably unconsciously breed a lot of sexism.
Posted by poojabajaj_85 9 years ago
poojabajaj_85
school is a place where u study but as well it also helps u in growing as a person...it improves your overall personality...if one is not compfortable talking to the opposite sex then...how can they work with them in future...there cannot be companies for single sex.one should learn the tendencies,the usual behaviour of the opposite sex .... because the world cannot run single handedly with any one of the sex...
Posted by NSG 9 years ago
NSG
You can kinda consider me in a single sex school, because one of my undergraduate degrees is engineering!LOL
It benefits me in many ways, I learned to speak up, learned to express certainty, learned to not take things personally.
Many stereotype of men talked by women aren't necessarily true, I wouldn't know without studying with them.:)
Posted by WaximusMaximus 9 years ago
WaximusMaximus
Ladies, you both raised excellent points on the merits of of either system as far as classroom learning is concerned.

However, a question I would raise in relation to this debate is this: In your statistics were any of the schools both public and not Co-Ed. I'm from Minnesota and don't know of any such instituion existing in the state. A public school must take any and all students, if they are college prep or not.

On such a basis I would question any statistics related to this subject.

I'm a football player and a public school kid so I don't think I could really imagine going to a single gender school.
Posted by dorobo 9 years ago
dorobo
Good debate, ladies!
Kels, I would vote for you if you talked less about your family and yourself!
Vote Placed by kels1123 8 years ago
kels1123
NSGkels1123Tied
Vote Placed by iluvdebates 9 years ago
iluvdebates
NSGkels1123Tied
Vote Placed by padfo0t 9 years ago
padfo0t
NSGkels1123Tied
Vote Placed by RepublicanView333 9 years ago
RepublicanView333
NSGkels1123Tied
Vote Placed by cLoser 9 years ago
cLoser
NSGkels1123Tied
Vote Placed by Capt.Herp 9 years ago
Capt.Herp
NSGkels1123Tied
Vote Placed by debate777 9 years ago
debate777
NSGkels1123Tied
Vote Placed by RMK 9 years ago
RMK
NSGkels1123Tied
Vote Placed by righty10294 9 years ago
righty10294
NSGkels1123Tied
Vote Placed by Chob 9 years ago
Chob
NSGkels1123Tied