Saadovic
pumpkinjuice

Sit Ups VS Planks VS Leg Raises

Saadovic has forfeited round #3.
Started: 10/31/2016 Category: Sports
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

Saadovic

Con

I'm for PLANKS
Are Planks better for abdominal muscles?
Are they better because they deal with thigs' muscles too?
Do they activate more muscles?
Are they faster in forming the six-pack appearance?
Are they better in not resulting in backache?
pumpkinjuice

Pro

Sometimes referred to as curlups, the standard sit-up involves lying on your back on a mat with feet restrained, either by a partner or by hooking them under a stable object. With your hands cradling your head and neck, you then lift your torso all the way up to your legs and lower back down to complete one repetition.
Multiple variations of the move exist. Cross the arms over your chest, perform the move without anchoring your feet, curl up and down on an incline bench or hold a weight at your chest or behind your head as you execute the sit-up.
You may also perform sit-ups on an unstable surface, such as a stability ball or half-ball. Research published in a 2008 issue of Perceptual Motor Skills showed that the most muscle activation occurs when you do a full sit-up on a firm surface, such as the floor, however.The primary muscle activated during a sit-up is the rectus abdominis, the sheath of muscle fibers that cover the front of your torso. If you do a sit-up without anchoring the feet, you'll activate this muscle more so than you do with the feet anchored, showed a study published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research in 2013.
The obliques at the sides of your waist also activate during a sit-up. They assist the action and aren't the primary movers. In real life, these muscles bend your torso side to side and rotate you left and right.
They also work to stabilize your spine. If you really want strong obliques, add moves such as side planks and seated, weighted twists to your routine.
Hip Flexors Tighten
The hip flexors, also known as the illiopsoas, assist you when you flex and extend your torso, as happens when you rise and lower during a sit-up. The hip flexors are a group of muscles that connect the femur, or thigh bone, to the pelvis. They're activated when you sit, stand, run, walk or squat.
Sit-ups contribute to short and tight hip flexors. Chronicially tight hip flexors, which plague much of the population, can cause low back pain.
Leg Engagement
Although you think of sit-ups as an ab-specific move, you may feel the fronts of your thighs fatigue after you've performed a number of reps. This is because the muscles of your quadriceps, including the sartorius and rectus femoris, are engaged as you do a sit-up.
Another thigh muscle, the tensor fasciae latae, located at the outer upper thigh also works during a sit-up. The anterior tibialis at the front of your shins stabilizes the lower legs when your feet are hooked under a brace.
What Sit-Ups Don't Work
Sit-ups aren't a comprehensive core exercise. They fail to work the internal abdominal muscles, including the transverse abdominis, which are critical to good posture and stabilization.
It's OK to include sit-ups as part of your core routine, but also do a variety of other exercises to also work muscles that support your spine and that directly target your oblique
Saadovic

Con

Well sorry this was my first debate to create so I didn't make the appropriate "title", I wanted so say: planks and mountain climbers are better than leg raises and sit ups.
Well from my and other people's experiences I've found that sit ups and leg raises result in an irritating back pain, unlike planks or mountain climbers, which don't do so.
I think also that muontain climbers ,which is close to planks, activates the higher muscles of the abdominis particularly more than other abdominal muscles.
When I do mountain climbers, I feel much energy, I feel my arms' muscles being motivated because of the psition taken, and I feel my thigh muscles also being stimulated.
pumpkinjuice

Pro

If you're like us, there's probably one area you feel like you can't work enough: your abs. More specifically, your lower abs. It seems like no matter how much training you do, they just stay the same. Well there"s a reason for that.

"In order to lose weight and show muscle definition, you need to train the whole body," says Amanda Butler, certified trainer and instructor at The Fhitting Room in New York City. "[You need] to expend calories"and pair that with a well-balanced diet." Maybe you've heard the best abs are made in the kitchen?

Which Should You Do First: Cardio or Strength Training? But that's not a pass to skip those crunches and planks. "It is important to train the core because that is your center for balance," Butler says. "Plus, a strong core can help reduce back pain."

Not sure exactly how to hit those lower belly muscles? You"re not alone. "Lower abs are very difficult to strengthen because that is where our body stores most of its excess fat," says Butler. "And for women, the hormone estrogen naturally wants to hold onto fat in this area."Lying leg raises work your hip flexors and are one of the best exercises for your tight abs.

Begin by lying down on your back and place your hands at your sides for support.
Extend your legs straight in front of you and lift them as you exhale until they're perpendicular to the ground. Make sure your abs stay flexed throughout the movement.
As you inhale, begin lowering your legs slowly back to the starting position and stop just about 2.5 cm (~1 inch) off the floor.
Repeat for a desired number of reps.
Make sure your back stays firmly against the floor throughout the exercise.
TIP: A great variation of this exercises are the hanging leg raises. As you hang from the chin-up bar, raise your legs until they form a 90-degree angle to your torso.