Nate
Conspicuous_Conservative

Skiing requires more skill and is better than Snowboarding

Started: 12/12/2007 Category: Sports

Nate

Pro

I'm going to keep this opening statement simple and leave it open to argument and interpretation. Feel free to debate freestyle, racing, recreational, backcountry, or any aspect of the two sports.

Skiing requires more skill than snowboarding.

-More athleticism, balance, and coordination is required to control skis compared to snowboarding.
-The learning curve for skiing is steeper than snowboarding, helping to confirm the facts from point one.

Skiing is better than snowboarding.

-Skiing allows more versatility on the snow than snowboarding.
-Skiing allows more variety on the snow than snowboarding.
-For those technically inclined, skiing offers more technical structure than snowboarding.

I want this debate to be fun and friendly so, I don't want hardcore responses or extreme flaming of either sport. I've been skiing for 17 years, 8 of those competitively in both downhill racing and freestyle. At the same time I snowboarded exclusively for 2 years. I love both sports and continue to support and engage in them both.
Conspicuous_Conservative

Con

First of all let me state that I have done both skiing and snowboarding. I am far from a professional in either. I find both difficult and I am in awe everytime I see tricks performed in either sport. With that said I really feel that you have no argument. I feel your argument is based upon opinion.
Nate

Pro

Hi Conspicuous,

Thank you for accepting my debate challenge.

It is agreed that both sports are difficult. Skiing, however, is more difficult than snowboarding given the points stated in round one. More specifically, the learning curve for skiing is steeper. I've seen snowboarders become extremely proficient (an ability to board well in all conditions) in just 10-20 days on the snow. Whereas a skier with the same athletic ability takes on average 25-35 days on the snow to become equally proficient. I do not have any direct statistics to back my facts up other than the my own experience as a ski racing and freestyle coach and a snowboarder who likes to instruct friends for fun.

Any debate can be construed as opinion, it is up to the community to decide whether or it is opinion or direct facts that back up a debate. You, however, choose to debate this topic and I hope to see some valid points other than "with that said I really feel that you have no argument. I feel your argument is based upon opinion".

To touch a little bit on a comment made by a spectator, "If skiing requires more skill, then how does it make it more of a fun sport than snowboarding if it logically takes longer to learn?"

I never did state that snowboarding was more fun than skiing, just that skiing is better than snowboarding. Skiing is better because of the points made in round one, it is more versatile, has more variety in activities, and is more technical.

The versatility is seen the ability to access more terrain faster and easier because of skis.

The variety is seen in the ability to perform more tricks and more events than in snowboarding.

-Most ski tricks have been developed over the years thanks to the help of inline skating, skateboarding, wakeboarding, and snowboarding. Because skiers are on two platforms rather than one, they can add more variety to a snowboarding trick than a snowboarder can.

-You've never seen a snowboarder compete in upright aerials and you very rarely see snowboarders compete in moguls.

I look forward to reading your next round.
Conspicuous_Conservative

Con

Once again it is nice to have this conversation with you. I still do not believe that because something takes a few weeks longer to master makes it a better sport. It is still apples an oranges Balance comes more natural with skiing because you have your legs side by side at about a shoulders with this is the most stable position one can be in with snowboarding your body is turned in an unnatural way and in the event that you need to gain balance you cannot shift one leg and re-position yourself. Though I do agree that skiing will most often have the advantage of speed, you must be joking if you think that skiing gives more variety of tricks. Look at the Olympics and the X-Games. The only real event that shows dynamic tricks in the ski department is the freestyle competition. The Half pipe and various rail grindings and various obstacle courses are always on display during Olympic events and espn and extreme sports competitions. I will not go as far as to say snowboarding is better it is simply different. This is the same argument that is ongoing between skateboarders and Rollerbladers. True many arguments have opinion but this argument will be decided by preference because there is not much substance to argue thank you my friend can't wait to hear from you.
Nate

Pro

Here are two quotes from rounds one and two of your argument.

"I feel your argument is based upon opinion." "With that said I really feel that you have no argument."

"I still do not believe that because something takes a few weeks longer to master makes it a better sport."

As you can plainly see, you argument totally contradicts itself. In round one you stated that you felt my argument was based on opinion and therefore I had no argument. Then in round two you say that you "do not believe"...last time I checked a belief was an opinion. Am I wrong? No.

Furthermore, you have stated you are not an expert in either skiing or snowboarding and therefore you are unable to realize the false knowledge behind some of your logic. One quote in particular comes to mind, "you must be joking if you think that skiing gives more variety of tricks."

Skiing does in fact give more variety in tricks. On skis your feet are independent giving you the ability to perform more grabs, crosses, and more flexible varieties of tricks. On a snowboard you are attached to the board with both feet, restricting major pivot points of the body, mainly the knees and hips that give the trick advantage to skiing. Snowboarding, however, is seen as the trick sport because of the culture it has adopted since its beginning. Snowboarding has gained a following among the younger and more reckless and flexible crowds. This has changed in recent years due to advancements in skiing and ski culture, however.

Now for the skill aspect of this argument. Balance may seem more natural in skiing compared to snowboarding as a beginner but, in advanced skiing, achieving correct balance is much more difficult. This is especially true when performing rail tricks, jumps, back country skiing, or in racing environments. In snowboarding, balance is easier because muscle memory is built up during the learning period and body movements change very little when progressing. In skiing, technique and body movement is constantly changing making perfect balance more difficult to achieve. The same argument can be applied to the coordination and athleticism aspects of the two sports. Skiing is more difficult to master and therefore requires more skill.

The evidence I have provided in the past rounds clearly shows that skiing is better and requires more skill than snowboarding. While I'm sure this could be refuted to no end, your points fail to prove or support your argument.

I have enjoyed debating this topic with you and request that when the public is voting on this debating they put all bias aside and vote for the best debate and argument.

Thank You,
Nate
Conspicuous_Conservative

Con

Whether or not you can stake the claim of being a so called expert is not for me to judge, because honestly you can be an athlete in the Winter Olympics or just someone that plays SSX and I wouldn't know. You say I contradict myself but Golf takes longer to learn then Golf, Hockey, Football and Basketball, so you are telling me that Golf is not only more difficult but better. Though you may have an argument skiing may be tougher what I cannot see is what makes skiing better. Remember your position in this debate is that skiing requires more skill and it is BETTER than snowboarding.

If skiing is better, wouldn't it be as popular with the masses here in the US, according to allbuisness.com snowboarding tops the list of fastest growing sports <http://www.allbusiness.com...;
or http://boardtheworld.com...

With so many links showing popularity in snowboarding whether you can prove skiing to be more difficult it is safe to say that skiing cannot be better because the popularity of snowboarding has surpassed all other sports in regards to growth. I ask all that will be voting that you check your personal preferences at the door and simply look at the fact that how can we honestly say which sport is better. Thank you all and thank you Nate
Posted by Nate 9 years ago
Nate
Hey Conspicuous,

This debate was a lot of fun. I want to point out, however, the faults in your citations. The first one is dated all the way back to 2002 and the second one is a potentially biased source dated back to 2001. I found some more recent information that is dated to 2004 that actually refutes your point. Check here. http://www.0-21.co.uk...

"Snowboarders are expected to account for more than 31 percent of total skier visits this season, an all-time high. But industry observers see a slowing in the snowboarding growth rate.

Snowboarding grew 21 percent from 1999-2000 season to the 2000-01 season, but it dropped to 11.2 percent growth from the 2001-02 season to the 2002-03 season."

So we can plainly see that skiing has more than a 2-1 popularity ratio as compared to snowboarding.

-Nate
Posted by Solarman1969 9 years ago
Solarman1969
Skiing is better becuase you have 2 edges vs 1 and also yur feet are independent

Snowboarding also SUCKS on flats!

Snowboarding is the prevue of the young and reckless

more power to em- but Skiing is far better in the trees!
Posted by soccergamer92 9 years ago
soccergamer92
Just a clarification:

If skiing requires more skill, then how does it make it more of a fun sport than snowboarding if it logically takes longer to learn?

Also:

I agree w/ points one and three of your second contention, but I have to disagree with point two in that snowboarding is indeed looked at as more of a trick sport than it is a racing sport. Even so, we have both sports in freestyle of the X games. But, snowboarding is also watched more than skiing. So really the statement is that snowboarding is more popular to watch based on its variety compared to skiing.
Posted by Korezaan 9 years ago
Korezaan
You turned the learning curve argument hella nice! xD
Posted by Maddy 9 years ago
Maddy
I wish I had enough skillz to participate in this debate. I've lived a couple of hours from ski resorts my entire life, yet still haven't mastered (or moved past novice) in either sport. It is regrettable, but true.
Vote Placed by NewCreature 5 years ago
NewCreature
NateConspicuous_ConservativeTied
Reasons for voting decision: as Con pointed out, Pro did not make any convincing arguments to why skiing requires more skill and is BETTER than snowboarding. snowboarding is the reason why resorts are making money. It is obviously more popular that skiing.
Vote Placed by jizdepski 7 years ago
jizdepski
NateConspicuous_ConservativeTied
Vote Placed by xxJimmyxx 9 years ago
xxJimmyxx
NateConspicuous_ConservativeTied
Vote Placed by emchie 9 years ago
emchie
NateConspicuous_ConservativeTied
Vote Placed by volleynolley 9 years ago
volleynolley
NateConspicuous_ConservativeTied
Vote Placed by soccergamer92 9 years ago
soccergamer92
NateConspicuous_ConservativeTied
Vote Placed by KevinL75 9 years ago
KevinL75
NateConspicuous_ConservativeTied
Vote Placed by asian_invasion 9 years ago
asian_invasion
NateConspicuous_ConservativeTied