PacemakerGuy
breaxxbaxx

Skrillex does not deserve a Grammy or even a Nomination

breaxxbaxx

PacemakerGuy

Pro

I think Skrillex does not deserve a Grammy nomination or even the actual Grammy because his music, isn't even music, just makes weird noises and covers songs and final theres no talent behind that.

Acception Round
breaxxbaxx

Con

Hey there. I accept the debate.
PacemakerGuy

Pro

I start off my saying that Skrillex is not music, not even dubstep. It's just noises thrown into a beat that don't even sound good, just hurt your brain. He is up for a Grammy, WHY? It's not music it's just noise. Most of the songs he does are just dumb and noises over covered songs. The others he's up against have way more talent than him. Singing, he doesn't even sing he probably just sitting in a room on a laptop playing with noises and some record producer found it money worthy! So I don't think he deserves a Grammy at ALL because it's just noise, not even music and there is no talent behind it at all! Out of the people he is up against, The Band Perry and Bon Iver have the most talent with singing and using actual instruments.
breaxxbaxx

Con

I should start off by clarifying that Skrillex is a producer, he produces all his own stuff. Typically, in Electronic music, the producer is the person writing all of the music while creating a lot of it on electronic instruments and/or computer music software.

While, personally, I’m not the biggest fan of Skrillex (or the Grammys for that matter), I would argue that what he makes is most definitely music. His EP, Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites, is his work that has been nominated for the Grammy. He displays a pretty solid and interesting sense of rhythm through-out the entire record. And while there are pretty noisy and aggressive elements to his music (usually during the bass drops), he also displays a pretty strong sense of melody through-out the entire record as well. One track even completely diverging from his dubstep sound to a more dance-pop one. So, I would say his music is far from being just “noise” as you’re arguing.

And, indeed, what he does takes talent. While, you’re right, I don’t believe he sings on the album, it seems he does rely on samples and guest vocalists/rappers to provide that element to his recordings. I don’t think that discredits him as a musical artist in any way. His job is as the producer. He provides the beats, samples, synths, etc. to create the music. And that’s not necessarily an easy task. It does take time to find the rights samples to fit the tempo and key of the song. He’s creative and diverse in his use of samples, going from pop singers to people yelling. He edits them well and in an interesting way, layering them on top of each other, playing them backwards and then forwards, chopping them up to the rhythm, etc. His placements of these samples are not random, they are thought out and fit well with the rhythm and melodies of the song.

He’s also been a huge success world wide, and introduced a new American audience to Dubstep/Electronic music. Considering all of this, I can understand why he got nominated for a Grammy.
PacemakerGuy

Pro

You make a few good points but I still can't find it music. Some of his beats are pretty good but those bass drops ruin it, they sound like someone yelling "Oh S***!" slamming on the brakes about to hit someone with there car hahaha. I just hate when rappers or NOW dubstep use samples from music, write your own things!!!!

I think people with talent deserve the Grammy over a guy that just sits on a computer and plays with beats. He has added a new genre to America but I just don't consider it music at all.

So my closer is that I don't count it music really, not talent just a guy playing on a computer, and Band Perry or Bon Iver have more talent and deserve it much more that him.
breaxxbaxx

Con

Most of Skrillex’s bass drops don’t include sampled yelling, they’re usually just instrumental. And while his bass drops are typically pretty aggressive and noisy, they are in the context of structured melodic songs with a consistent rhythm. Noisy elements happen in all different music genres all the time, take Jimi Hendrix’s guitar style for examples, he would incorporate noisy/distorted sounds into his guitar solo’s. Simply having noisy aspects to a song doesn’t make the entire song noise.

Like I mentioned in my previous argument, Skrillex does more than just sit at a computer and play with beats. He’s using synths and samples to create music. Finding the right samples and then editing them is a process that takes talent/creativity to be good at. He often times edits the samples in such a way that he creates new melodies out of them. He also goes into a lot of different and complex directions rhythmically, and that can take a lot of tedious editing to get right. Producing an entire album yourself is a pretty big feat too, there’s a reason why most artists hire someone else to produce their music for them. It can be a very involved process that can take a long time to complete.

So, for these reasons I believe that Skrillex does make actual music, and not simply just noise. I also believe that the way he chooses to make music is just as legitimate as someone writing a song on the guitar. I don’t think it’s fair to compare one method of writing music to another like that anyway (in the sense that one is better than the other). Many great rock songs have consisted of just 3 simple power chords, and that doesn’t have to take much talent to achieve. Certainly there have been many electronic/dubstep songs that have taken a much longer time and a lot more work to write than some of those classic rock songs. But at the end of the day i don't think it makes a difference, good music is good music regardless of how it’s made.
Posted by carmspinto95 3 years ago
carmspinto95
when you talk about music you"re saying it"s an art and are common elements which governs melody and harmony,where can you find melody and harmony in skrillex"s "music" ? and dubstep is a "tightly coiled productions with overwhelming bass lines and reverberant drum patterns, clipped samples, and occasional vocals."can you find melody and harmony on this genre? can you?
Posted by carmspinto95 3 years ago
carmspinto95
skrillex IS NOT MUSIC! be realistic please and use your "musical" intelligence
Posted by imshannonhoran 4 years ago
imshannonhoran
Mike2k777: 'Skrillex' is not music, he's an artist and what he makes is music. Music doesn't consist of just instruments. There's acappela music and drum beats people make with just their body. Music has a range of genres including Dubstep. Also, if you say is doesn't take talent to do what Skrillex does, why don't you go get the software he uses and try to make good songs like he does. Please, let us see you do better because I've tried and its difficult.
Posted by mike2k777 4 years ago
mike2k777
no way, skrillex is definetely not music...music is played with instruments not crap noises form a laptop covering over other peoples songs...this skrillex is more untalented than the gangnam style guy or justin bieber
Posted by fuego2085 5 years ago
fuego2085
i agree with dirtboy345
Posted by Dirtboy345 5 years ago
Dirtboy345
Skrillex is music, it's electronic music, just because you don't like it shouldn't mean it doesn't deserve any awards.
Posted by Rusty 5 years ago
Rusty
Actually, I think he does sing in a song called With You, Friends (Long Drive).

But yeah. All of his stuff starts to sound the same after a while.
Vote Placed by JakeBoatman96 5 years ago
JakeBoatman96
PacemakerGuybreaxxbaxxTied
Reasons for voting decision: Don't hate on Skrillex... enough said. This vote was done fairly.
Vote Placed by DevonNetzley 5 years ago
DevonNetzley
PacemakerGuybreaxxbaxxTied
Reasons for voting decision: My reasons lie within my vote.
Vote Placed by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
PacemakerGuybreaxxbaxxTied
Reasons for voting decision: once again, another primarily opinionated attack against a new form of music successfully buried by logic presented by another side who is not much of a fan of the music at all but has the knowledge and skill to show why it is good enough to say, be nominated for a grammy
Vote Placed by THEBOMB 5 years ago
THEBOMB
PacemakerGuybreaxxbaxxTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con was the only one that made valid arguments....while I completely agree with Pro, there is no comparing computerized music with actually playing an instrument, Pro did not argue this sentiment well.