MountainMusicMan
InVinoVeritas

Smokeless Tobacco

MountainMusicMan

Pro

Should the same laws regarding cigarettes be used for the use of smokeless tobacco? I say no.

Personally, I'm a supporter of let smokers smoke, but I do understand why they tax cigarettes more heavily than other items. Cigarettes have been proven to harm people other than the person smoking. Second hand smoke has been linked to lung cancer and various other health problems. Third hand smoke is the stuff that lingers on the clothes of a smoker, and it also can cause health problems, especially to infants.

However, smokeless tobacco only harms the person who is using the smokeless tobacco. I find it disgusting, but there is no reason to tax smokeless tobacco as heavily as cigarettes and other forms of smoking tobacco.

I understand, smokeless tobacco is just as harmful to the person using it as cigarettes, but that's a personal prerogative. If the user chooses to risk his/her life using a product proven to cause gum/mouth cancer and gum disease, then why stop them? They are hurting no one but themselves.
InVinoVeritas

Con

I thank my opponent for bringing up this issue.

The use of smokeless tobacco does, in fact, impact other parties.

Health care costs for those who suffer from health issues stemming from tobacco use puts a huge burden on other tax payers. 8.6 million Americans suffer from illnesses caused by tobacco use, and the total annual public and private health care expenditures caused by smoking is $96 billion. [1] Taxpayers' yearly fed/state tax burden that comes as a result of smoking-caused government spending is $70.7 billion, or $616 per household. [1] The financial burden that tobacco users put on tax payers is immense, whether the tobacco is smokeless or not. Therefore, all tobacco consumers (even those who opt to use smokeless tobacco) should pay taxes for tobacco products.

[1] http://www.tobaccofreekids.org...

MountainMusicMan

Pro

MountainMusicMan forfeited this round.
MountainMusicMan

Pro

MountainMusicMan forfeited this round.