bbilski
GWindeknecht1

Smoking food imparts more flavor than grilling food.

bbilski

Pro

I just thought this would be a fun debate for my 1st try.

I believe that smoking meat (pork, chicken, or beef) delivers the end user a product with much more flavor than using a grill, regardless of the means of preparation.

In this case, I would define flavor as, "the general quality of taste in food."
GWindeknecht1

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for starting this debate.
I negate the following resolution: Resolved: Smoking food imparts more flavor than grilling food.

Firstly, an observation. Because the resolution deals in absolutes, the burden of proof lies on the Affirmative to prove that Smoked food imparts more favor than grilled food. The burden of proof on the negative, myself, is to prove that either grilled food is more flavorful, OR that the two are equal.

I accept the definition of the word "flavor" as presented by my opponent.

When examining the issue of grilled vs. smoked food, a panoramic view of the issue is a must.
In today's fast food restaurants, grilled foods are being more and more so used. This begs the question of "why". Grilled food represents what the public wants, as today's fast food restaurants cater to the needs and wants of the public. In essence, because fast food restaurants do not carry or serve smoked foods, but do carry grilled foods, the public generally likes grilled food more than smoked food.
In addition, according to a informal poll conducted by "TheHotPepper.com", 61% of Americans favor grilled chicken over smoked chicken. (http://www.thehotpepper.com...)

Again, I'd like to thank my opponent for beginning the debate.
bbilski

Pro

Thanks to my opponent for choosing to respond and in such a unique and thoughtful manner.

My opponent has based round one statements that fast food restaurants choose grilling over smoking is because of public desire to eat more grilled food and "In essence, because fast food restaurants do not carry of see smoked foods..."

I would refute that statement by simply pointing out that smoking food takes vast amounts of time, skill, and quality product. Thus, it is not a preparation method that is well suited to fast food restaurants. Stand alone restaurants who focus on quality over speed have seen growth in barbecue. Famous Dave's, for example, has 182 US locations and plans to open 12 more in 2011-2012 fiscal year (source: 3rd quarter fiscal results posted at their investor web site). As for 61% of American favoring grilled chicken vs. smoked... the sample size was 18 people.

When I comes to flavor only smoking food can allow the most important element of food preparation to occur to maximize flavor... low and steady temperatures. Grilling food is more convenient by far, but smoking food allows hard work to pay off. Those low and steady temperatures play well with the following fact: Meat protein starts to set or cook at 120 degrees F.

http://www.amazingribs.com...

Once the protein sets, it can not and will not absorb any more smoke or flavor, especially the leaner meats. Protein is completely cooked at 140F. So therefore: since grilling meat uses higher heat with the goal of cooking faster, there is less time develop flavor and therefore grilled food contains less flavor than smoked food.

I thank my opponent and await a response.
GWindeknecht1

Con

Looking at the debate today, my opponent has the burden of proof to show that, unanimously, smoking food imparts more flavor than grilling food.
However, not only is this entirely subjective and non-factual, but it is also impossible to prove.

"smoking food takes vast amounts of time, skill, and quality product. Thus, it is not a preparation method that is well suited to fast food restaurants."

Smoking food does take skill and time to correctly perform, so does grilling food. If fast food restaurants are not your pick, take a look at the more luxurious restaurants. I can guarantee you none of them have smoked food either. Why? Because it is not a want of the public.
If the public truly wanted smoked food over grilled food, than restaurants, fast or luxury, would serve it. But they don't.

"As for 61% of American favoring grilled chicken vs. smoked... the sample size was 18 people."

Regardless of the sample size, this is the only evidence introduced into this round. If you had evidence that showed the contrary, I would be more inclined to believe you.

"Stand alone restaurants who focus on quality over speed have seen growth in barbecue. "

We're debating smoked vs. grilled, not smoked vs. grilled vs. barbecue.

Americans enjoy both grilled and smoked foods. I'm not contending that. Both are delicious. My opponent however has failed to meet the burden of proof to show that smoking food is unanimously better. Both are great.
bbilski

Pro

I thank my opponent for yet another thoughtful round.

I would suggest to my opponent that my statement doesn't require that smoked food is unanimously better than grilled food. I simply stated that smoked food had more flavor than grilled food.

To this end I would remind my opponent othe cellular makeup of meat and how it reacts to heat and time. If one covers chicken, pork, or beef with a spice rub and cooks it on a grill the meat protein will reach the critical temperature much faster than if the food is smoked. Therefore, the grilling "shuts down" the flavor receptors in the meat. On the other side of the example: fine steak restaurants focus on the meat alone so they grill or sear it over high heat locking the juices in and keeping other favors out.

Thank you to my opponent.
GWindeknecht1

Con

At the end of this debate, we look to one thing: the burden of proof.

My opponent has not shown the Smoking food imparts more flavor than grilling food, rather he has only shown that heat does the trick.

I contended that both smoking and grilling food are delicious as both have unique flavors of meat.

I showed evidence that the U.S. public generally likes grilled food more, (61%), a point that has gone unrefuted with other evidence.

Because both are delicious, and that smoking is not necessarily the best unanimously, I urge a con ballot.
My opponent failed to deliver on the burden of proof so a con ballot is necessary.
I would like to thank my opponent for the interesting debate today.
Thanks everyone.
Posted by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
"Flavor" must be defined. How can anyone win this debate?
Posted by waylon.fairbanks 5 years ago
waylon.fairbanks
But grilled meat is nice and moist