stevster
dalzuga

Smoking is good for you

stevster

Pro

(First off dont take this too seriously.... its basically a joke but it'll be fun debating it)

Smoking alot of the times is good because it calms people down. As we all know, life is very stressful and a cigarette or some weed will often do wonders for a person's mental and emotional state. Further more, the sort of badass connatation that smoking has allows some people to feel good about themselves which is always a plus.
dalzuga

Con

Hey stevster. Thanks for starting the debate. I will have a lot of fun ripping your argument apart.

Smoking does not calm people down. Your heart rate actually goes up right after you start smoking a cigarette. See http://thescooponsmoking.org...
You can verify this by performing the experiment of measuring a friend's heart rate before and after smoking a cigarette.

It also happens to increase your blood pressure. See http://thescooponsmoking.org...

You can also perform an analogous experiment for this.

Since the physical effects of smoking are stimulative, there is no reason to believe that smoking calms you down. There is also no reason to believe that smoking does "wonders for a person's mental and emotional state."

"Further more, the sort of badass connatation that smoking has allows some people to feel good about themselves which is always a plus." (1)
This is just a plus (as you admitted) and is thus not sufficient to prove your point. In addition, the badass connotation is generally present only in an atmosphere where smoking is condoned.
stevster

Pro

(Again, dont really believe in this, but judge based on the arguments)
First off, i'd just like to say that all my opponent did was rebut my argument and never presented any evidence that supported smoking being bad.

In the last couple years the obesity epidemic in the US and the western world has being a serious problem. Studies have shown that smokers tend to be slimmer than others, Jodi Flaws at the university of maryland school of medicine "In many studies, you often find smokers are slimmer. We've certainly seen it in our studies......Some people think it's due to certain chemicals in cigarettes somehow making them burn more calories, but others believe it suppresses appetite. It may well be both."

There is also scientific evidence to support that smoking helps stop a numberous variety of dimentias (a severe impairment or loss of intellectual capacity and personality integration, due to the loss of or damage to neurons in the brain.)"Many dementias go hand-in-hand with a loss of chemical receptors in the brain that just happen to be stimulated by nicotine. Smoking seems to bolster these receptors, and smokers have more of them." (Guardian Unlimited New Media) The studies show that smokers may have more to lose before they start losing their minds. "It does seem that nicotine has a preventative effect" says Roger Bullock, a specialist in dementia and director of the Kingshill Research Centre in Swindon.
dalzuga

Con

"i'd just like to say that all my opponent did was rebut my argument" (2)
That's right. I crushed your Round 1 argument.

"and never presented any evidence that supported smoking being bad" (3)
First of all, the opposite of "smoking is good" is "smoking is not good," and not that "smoking is bad" (it could be neutral for all I care.) In addition, I showed that smoking is bad because it raises your blood pressure and your heart rate. Furthermore, I did provide evidence. I also gave instructions to an experiment that can be performed to verify my claim. Since I showed that my argument is correct, it should be considered so unless you refute it. (To lay it out plainly, that means I win this point.)

Obesity
------------
It is true that smoking suppresses the appetite, and it does help people lose weight. Models sometimes smoke cigarettes in order to lose weight. It is true that there are high obesity rates in the U.S.

So? What about it? You did not make a point... Are you saying that smoking is good because it is an effective way to eradicate obesity in the U.S.? Are you saying that smoking is good because it is an effective solution for individuals to lose weight?

Dementia
-------------
"There is also scientific evidence to support that smoking helps stop a numberous variety of dimentias..." (4)

You are correct. Smoking can be beneficial in certain cases. In addition, marijuana can help people with glaucoma. However, this does not prove your point, as I will proceed to explain.

The title of this debate says "Smoking is good for you." Although it is understood that you do not mean ME personally, it is understood by the statement that smoking is *generally* good for people. Because the consumers you picked for this argument are the exception rather than the rule, whether smoking or not is good for this particular audience does not prove your position on the topic of the debate (i.e. "smoking is good for you").

Good luck (you're gonna need it lol)
stevster

Pro

Ladies and gentlemen, in this argument i have shown two very good causes of smoking. Prevention of obesity and dementia.... my opponent basically agrees that these are in positive affects of smoking. That is why, im some cases smoking can be good for you.... done! (this topic is obviously ridiculous.. but the fact that i was able to have positive affects that my opponent agreed to should be enough to win me the round)
dalzuga

Con

You ignored what I said in the last round:

<>

Definition of "you"

2. one; anyone; people in general: a tiny animal you can't even see.

"you." Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1). Random House, Inc. 14 Jan. 2008. http://dictionary.reference.com...;.

Emphasis on "people in general."

The topic of the debate is not that smoking can be good in certain circumstances. The topic of the debate is whether smoking is good in general. These are two different points. Thus, only because you have shown that smoking can be good in special circumstances does not mean it is good in general, which I have shown is precisely the topic of the debate.

"the fact that i was able to have positive affects that my opponent agreed to should be enough to win me the round"
NOT!
Posted by bsergent 9 years ago
bsergent
dalzuga has inadvertently proven once again the people do not read debates.

I recognize that this debate is a joke, but the fact that it is tied still disturbs me greatly.

Diversion is extremely common in place of actual debate. This is a wonderful example as both parties spend time debating over what they are debating.

dalzuga 1
stevster 0

But kudos steve on such an amusing topic.
Posted by dalzuga 9 years ago
dalzuga
what point are you referring to? i don't see what the problem with my point is. it's perfectly logical
Posted by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
"there is no reason to believe that smoking calms you down. There is also no reason to believe that smoking does wonders for a person's mental and emotional state."

here's a good reason: i tried and it worked wonders

i dont believe that "smoking is good for you" but stevster made by far a better point than dalzuga
Posted by dalzuga 9 years ago
dalzuga
did u vote for me? cuz we're tied 3-3 as of this writing, and it was 3-2 for me before lol
Posted by buttercupx224 9 years ago
buttercupx224
this debate would have been more effective if you said 'smoking is mentally good for you", because that is arguable, but when you get involved in physical technicalities you dig yourself into a ditch
Posted by dalzuga 9 years ago
dalzuga
lol nice debate

and this is filler
Posted by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
I must say that this resolution is absurd. Should be a piece of cake for the contender, unless there is more to the instigator than meets the eye.
Posted by PoeJoe 9 years ago
PoeJoe
I need more characters but I just wanted to say "lol." *bookmarked*
Vote Placed by Tatarize 9 years ago
Tatarize
stevsterdalzugaTied
Vote Placed by zakkuchan 9 years ago
zakkuchan
stevsterdalzugaTied
Vote Placed by lexmastaflex013 9 years ago
lexmastaflex013
stevsterdalzugaTied
Vote Placed by Black.Nite17 9 years ago
Black.Nite17
stevsterdalzugaTied
Vote Placed by ddddd 9 years ago
ddddd
stevsterdalzugaTied
Vote Placed by sssssss 9 years ago
sssssss
stevsterdalzugaTied
Vote Placed by pablo 9 years ago
pablo
stevsterdalzugaTied
Vote Placed by Kozakism 9 years ago
Kozakism
stevsterdalzugaTied
Vote Placed by bsergent 9 years ago
bsergent
stevsterdalzugaTied
Vote Placed by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
stevsterdalzugaTied