TomAdams
BartlebyTheScrivener

Smoking should be banned everywhere!

TomAdams

Pro

Smoking Is absolutely stupid, deadly and bankrupting to the individual! it should therefore be banned!
I fail to understand why people (many young teenagers) even start smoking in the first place. Is it due to lack of support from schools etc or just ignorance on the person's behalf?
"First hand" Smoking causes a whole range of cancers and other life threatening diseases and unfortunately many simply aren't aware of this or are willing to sacrifice their healthy lives for a quick puff of a cigarette.
Many young children are also at risk from "second hand" smoking from parents who puff out smoke in their household and cars, severely damaging children's lungs and preventing oxygen from passing in the blood stream consequently resulting in diseased (and in some cases) physically under developed children.
These are only a few of the problems linked to smoking, but I assure you, smoking claims more lives than you imagine!
BartlebyTheScrivener

Con

Smoking should not be banned and for the government to do so would be absurd.

My opponent's first post revolved around the fact that smoking ostensibly causes preventable deaths, and that the government would be saving lives if they abolish it. However, he fails to understand the fact that it is not the government's place to tell us whether or not to smoke. To put this into perspective, allow me to bring up a similar case: obesity. As of 2013, obesity causes one in five deaths annually (which, incidentally, is the same figure for smoking deaths), and by my opponent's logic, the government should take deterrent measures to preclude such deaths [1] [2].

My opponent might as well be proposing a ban junk food! A roughly equal number of people die each year from obesity compared to smoking, so by Pro's logic it is reasonable to take down every McDonald's, Burger King, and Taco Bell around to prevent deaths.

We are a free people who possess the liberty to partake in whatever actions we deem appropriate, and to ban what some consider a guilty pleasure would break this fundamental law of our government. Americans have the right to decide their actions. We are not dogs, to have our food filtered out by our ostensible masters, the government. We are free men and women with the right to decide our actions, despite their possible detriments. Just like junk food, smoking is only harmful in large amounts, and it is the individual who chooses to ruin his or her life.

Moving on, outlawing smoking would result in fewer jobs. Currently one hundred million people work for tobacco companies [3], and of those one hundred million, ALL would lose their jobs if the Pro's proposition were to go through. Unemployment would subsequently increase, and the economy would be harmed overall.

Lastly, outlawing smoking would not necessarily wipe out all of the deaths from smoking. Just because smoking would be officially banned does not mean that said ban would actually be put into practice. What happens to the people who actually like smoking too much to stop and engage in the now-illicit act? Should they go to jail, simply for doing something that they enjoy? A great number of people smoke, and it is entirely possible that a large portion of them would become criminals if the proposition is enacted.

[1] http://articles.mercola.com...
[2] http://www.cdc.gov...
[3] (http://www.ilo.org...)
TomAdams

Pro

TomAdams forfeited this round.
BartlebyTheScrivener

Con

I extend all of my arguments.
TomAdams

Pro

TomAdams forfeited this round.
BartlebyTheScrivener

Con

BartlebyTheScrivener forfeited this round.
Posted by MegadethRocks44 1 year ago
MegadethRocks44
Read about the prohibition. The government banned Alcohol but people kept drinking. Since there was still a demand there was lots of organized crime to supply the alcohol. Eventually the government realized that the prohibition was useless and that is why we can drink these days. Sadly the organized crime started by the prohibition continues to this day and now they sell illegal drugs. If the government banned smoking people would keep smoking and organized crime would supply. Eventually the government would realize how stupid banning smoking is but it wouldn't be until after they had spent billions of taxpayers dollars trying to enforce it. I don't want to pay the government to fix other people's bad habits, they should be able to do that on their own.
Posted by BartlebyTheScrivener 1 year ago
BartlebyTheScrivener
I'll do my best :)
Posted by TheOpinionist 1 year ago
TheOpinionist
Well alright, Bartleby, do me proud!
Posted by TheOpinionist 1 year ago
TheOpinionist
jeez i got robbed :/
Posted by TheOpinionist 1 year ago
TheOpinionist
I would absolutely love to debate this
Posted by TheOpinionist 1 year ago
TheOpinionist
1000 isn't enough
Posted by TheOpinionist 1 year ago
TheOpinionist
Please bring up the max character count