Smoking should be illegal

I do not think smoking should be illegal.

Pro will refute my arguments.

I will take the pro side of the argument.
I think that smoking or buying cigarettes should be illegal for the following reason...

1. It is directly related to lung cancer
2. It is addictive
3. Second hand smoke causes asthma

First off I want to refute my opponents arguments

“It is directly related to lung cancer

Lung cancer can be directly related to a numerous amount of sources such as asbestos, dust, microwaves, ect. Many things in modern society are directly related to human illnesses and injuries.

1.Bikes are directly related to bike injuries
2.Sugar is directly related to diabetes

Just because an illness or injury is directly related to something does not mean it should be illegal.

“It is addictive

Yes, the nicotine in cigarettes is very addicting but just because something is addicting doesn’t mean it should be illegal.

1.The grease in fries is addicting but fries aren't’t illegal
2.Internet and T.V is addicting but I guarantee your using it to continue this debate
3.Caffeine in coffee is addicted but that isn’t illegal either.

“Second hand smoke causes asthma

My argument on my opponents first statement should conclude my rebuttal on this remark.

My arguments…

Nicotine Tax is a huge income for the U.S government. Taxing cigarettes not only discourages people from buying them but also helps the government out financially.

Although Nicotine is addicting you still have a choice on whether or not you buy them. Prohibition tried to ban alcohol and that failed, the same thing would happen if you banned cigarettes, people would still find a way to smoke.

It doesn't’t impair your judgment

Unlike alcohol and recreational drugs, Nicotine does not impair your judgment when it comes to making decisions and reaction time. Nicotine is in fact the safest drug when it comes to short term use.

Con said that she understood that nicotine is addictive, therefore showing she agrees with me.

Con gave examples showing many different things that are addictive but we need those things but we do not need to smoke.

Con did not directly address second hand smoke which hurts others as well as the environment.

Studies show when you have an addiction to something you are less likely going to be able to make a good choice.

Con is stating you should exploit humans addictions to further fill up the governments pocket.

Smoking may not have many short term effect but the long term effects can be fatal.

Vote Pro!

Posted by kingsjester 3 years ago
two rounds is to short to thoroughly debate this topic therefore i will not vote as it is not enough info to form an unbiased opinion.
Posted by IwinYoulose333 3 years ago
Interseting debate form.
Vote Placed by Majducator 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Illegalize smoking!
Vote Placed by likespeace 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro and Con agreed smoking is harmful and addictive. That doesn't mean it should be illegal, and Pro imho did not successfully make that case. Con raised the objections that many other addictive substances such as caffeine are legal. Pro's rebuttal that we need those things was unconvincing to me, because I don't believe there's any actual need for caffeine. Con also mentioned the negative impact of prohibition which Pro did not address. I do wish Con had done a better job addressing second-hand smoke, which could be addressed by an in-public ban.