kiraviolet10
Texas14

Smoking should be made illegal

Texas14

kiraviolet10

Pro

Smoking is should be made illegal because it causes cancer, brutally harms the environment and is the cause 6 million deaths around the world every year. 600 million trees are chopped down every year. Why? Just to satisfy the addiction of millions of people around the world. Smoking is completely non beneficial to the smoker and the people around them. I understand that there is a sense of choice for the smokers but the smokers are at the same time changing lives for non smokers around them. If you inhale the smoke you are just as likely to get lung cancer than the smoker his/herself and no one deserves to die the slow painful death of cancer.
Texas14

Con

My contentions are as follows:

Contention 1: Banning smoking is an infringement upon personal liberty.
Contention 2: Banning smoking will reduce tax revenues.

I believe that as a society, it should be our number one goal to protect Liberty across the board. But if you only protect religious Liberty and you don't protect people's personal habits, then you're really not defending Liberty. Smoking is a lifestyle that affects the individual that smokes. I understand that there is effects from second hand smoking, but I think there are ways to regulate smoking in certain places, but not ban it all together. Overall, we need to understand that some people choose this lifestyle and we need to protect that personal liberty.

https://m.youtube.com...

Contention 2: Banning smoking would reduce tax revenues.

One of the benefits of having any drug legalized is that it is heavily taxed, and thus bringing in money for the state for highway, library, and school funds. If you ban smoking, you take a huge bite out of all of those funds. In 2012, the total U.S tax revenue was 17 million dollars. Imagine what that kind of money could do for schools and roads across the country. Also, if the state is funding it, then the state can meddle. For example, smoking can be banned in certain locations at public universities, but when the tax money is absent (as is the case with private schools) then the state must remain out of the business of regulating it.

http://thefederalist.com...
http://www.taxpolicycenter.org...
kiraviolet10

Pro

kiraviolet10 forfeited this round.
Texas14

Con

My opponent has chosen to forfeit. I extend.
kiraviolet10

Pro

kiraviolet10 forfeited this round.
Texas14

Con

I extend. Vote con.
Vote Placed by cathaystewie 1 year ago
cathaystewie
kiraviolet10Texas14Tied
Reasons for voting decision: FF and lack of sources by PRO.
Vote Placed by SirMaximus 1 year ago
SirMaximus
kiraviolet10Texas14Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Before this debate, I agreed with Con that smoking should not be illegal, and after the debate, I still agree with Con because of Con's arguments, which I will get to shortly. Con had better conduct, because Pro forfeited 2 rounds, while Con didn't forfeit any rounds. I counted 2 spelling and grammar mistakes made by Pro, but I counted 5 grammar mistakes made by Con, so Pro wins for spelling and grammar. Con made more convincing arguments, because Con actually offered counterpoints to Pro's points, while Pro did not offer any counterpoints to Con's points. Con used the most reliable sources, because Pro didn't use any sources, while Con cited taxpolicycenter.org. (The other 2 websites weren't really sources, they were just opinions. I'm not saying that it was wrong of Con to use those, I'm just saying that I don't consider them sources.)
Vote Placed by Martley 1 year ago
Martley
kiraviolet10Texas14Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I award all points to Con. Pro Forfeited.