cole.bonds
Arganger

Smoking weed should be legalized in all of America.

cole.bonds

Pro

Smoking weed should be legalized in all states of the United States of America. There is no legitimate reason why smoking weed should be illegal; it makes no sense. Good luck to whoever my opponent may be.
Arganger

Con

Weed, as with all drugs, isn't something to mess with. It has many adverse effects to the populations that allow it to sneak in.

Fatal crashes involving drivers who recently used marijuana doubled in Washington after the state legalized the drug.

https://www.aaafoundation.org...

Cannabis is also linked to increased risk of schizophrenia, can cause memory issues, and obstructs learning. These effects are unlikely to be fully reversed when it is quit.

https://www.sciencedaily.com...
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com...
https://www.drugabuse.gov...

The physical effects are in many ways similar to that of tobacco.

It is addictive as well, meaning that the sellers are taking advantage of consumers.

https://www.drugabuse.gov...

You may have noticed that most of the effects are primarily problematic for absolents, but I have noticed that the number of teenagers who veiw weed as harmless has increased dramatically since the legalization.

Don't play drug russian roulette. Some people will be fine, for others it will ruin your life.

Weed usage also happens to be disruptive to other citizens, and it spreads fast. You cannot walk in downtown colorado or denver without running into it.

This is especially bad for some disabled people in those areas, like smell sensitive people with sensory processing disorder (SPD is suspected to exist in 10% of the population), or people with asthma.

cole.bonds

Pro

First of all, every item like weed has its risks, but that doesn't mean it should be illegal. For instance, cigarettes have many chemicals that can create multiple types of cancer, such as lung cancer, mouth cancer, throat cancer, and many more. Smoking cigarettes also affects other people, and also is highly addictive.

https://www.cancer.gov...

Yet, smoking cigarettes is still legal. I can make the same point with alcohol too.

With these other items that are even more harmful than weed being legal, there is no reason we shouldn't have the right to smoke weed (starting at the age of 19) also.

And with its risks, recreational marijuana also has many benefits, such as stopping cancer from spreading, helping/preventing other diseases, and even helping society and the government profitably.

http://www.businessinsider.com...

In summary, there are already other harmful products legalized, so there is no reason
a less harmful, and beneficial, product such as recreational marijuana can't be legalized as well. While having a couple risks, it also can be beneficial in several ways to the human body and America as a whole.
Arganger

Con

I am for the full baning of both tobacco and alcohol. The reason they aren't banned is because people have had access to both for such a long time, that by now they see it as a right.

It is far harder to take something away from people, then to keep to from them in the first place. Take sweets for instance, if you never give a child sweets, they don't expect them. If you suddenly stop giving a child sweets, they will make a scene.

Another example is tobacco and alcohol are like the flu already infecting someone. trying to ban them would be like treating it without access to modern medican. You can try to get rid of it but the person might still die. Keeping weed illegal is like washing your hands, a preventative measure.

Consider keeping a focus on cannabis as many do, as damage control. It is way harder to ban tobacco which has been a legal and normal part of our culture for a very long time, being a major reason for colonization, and yet harder to ban alchol which has been in common consumption for thousands of years, then cannabis.

For the majority of people, it does no good. In the comments you stated this is about weed recreationally, not medically. Just as perscription drugs like opiods shouldn't be comsumed by everyone, neither should weed.
cole.bonds

Pro

"It is far harder to take something away from people, then to keep to from them in the first place. Take sweets for instance, if you never give a child sweets, they don't expect them. If you suddenly stop giving a child sweets, they will make a scene."

Yes, and that's exactly why the government shouldn't ban neither tobacco nor alcohol.

You have already stated the negative effects of recreational marijuana, but you have not yet acknowledged the benefits of it, such as the examples listed in my last argument. Since smoking weed has several benefits and fewer risks, the product itself is more beneficial to society and the economy than it is harmful; meaning it would actually better our country more than worsen it. If anything, weed should replace tobacco entirely for these reasons.

https://www.alternet.org...

https://www.huffingtonpost.com...

"For the majority of people, it does no good."

How do you know this for sure; where is your evidence?

Ultimately, recreational marijuana is more beneficial to society and the economy than it is harmful, therefore it should be legalized and also replace tobacco. By the way, weed has also been a normal part of our culture for a long period of time too, it just hasn't been legal.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

I would like to see you acknowledge the benefits of recreational marijuana in your next argument, Con.
Arganger

Con

There are no significant health benefits to cannabis, unless it is used specifically for health reasons.It should only be given out on a prescription. Even then, I do not see a good reason for it to be given in the form of smoke, but rather edibles. Smoke of any kind is horrible, not just for the persons own health but for everyone around them.

Any health benefits that smoking weed without a prescription might have are easily out weighed. They cause lung disease, chronic bronchitis, some cancers, and pregnancy complications. Just as with tobacco this isn't just limited to those who smoke it, second hand smoke means they are killing people around them as well.

Sadly it is hard to know the full extent of damage it can cause. This is because it hasn't been legal very long, so study opportunities are limited. It shouldn't be legalized just so we can be guinea pigs.

It can also be outright dangerous for those with compromised immune systems.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

That, combined with the fact that as you saw in my first argument, Fatal crashes involving drivers who recently used marijuana doubled in Washington after the state legalized the drug, shows this is far more dangorus then any health benifets you may find.

Don't play russian roulette with drugs, most people don't know what genetics they may have effecting addiction and mental illness.

Weed has been common among certain areas, like the homeless, in people who use drugs, and some teenage populations but isn't even close to as ingrained in society as tobacco or alcohol.

Banning both tobacco and alcohol is still to the benefit of socity, but requires much more tact.

For those trying to quit weed, it may be much harder for them if it is legal and out in the open. I can attest to that with my ex drug addict sister, who moved across the country to get away from it and the people she did drugs with.

Also with a freind of her's that tells me she thinks she would of died by now had she not become pregnant with her daughter, promting her to get off drugs. While she was pregnant she craved tabacco so much that she would stop to smell drying tar on the road.

https://www.recovery.org...

Allowing weed into society also is quite unfair to the autistic population and other populations that may be in some way vulnerable to smoke.
cole.bonds

Pro

"There are no significant health benefits to cannabis, unless it is used specifically for health reasons."

True, but I never really said they have any health benefits, I have only stated they have benefits. While weed does not in fact have any significant health benefit, it does have other significant benefits, and it does not generally harm you as long as you don't abuse it. It also has more benefits than negative effects. As stated in my previous arguments, smoking weed has many benefits, such as boosting revenue, creating more effective law enforcement, and allowing patients to use medical marijuana. With these benefits, weed does have negative effects, but only a small amount of them, which will only take action if you abuse the drug. This means weed would benefit society and the economy more than harm it, and that is why weed should entirely replace cigarettes, which is my main argument; if cigarettes and alcohol are already legal, why not just replace cigarettes with weed since cigarettes are completely harmful and weed is mostly beneficial? I would like to see you disprove this point with some evidence, Con.

http://www.businessinsider.com...

"That, combined with the fact that as you saw in my first argument, Fatal crashes involving drivers who recently used marijuana doubled in Washington after the state legalized the drug, shows this is far more dangorus then any health benifets you may find."

Yes, but smoking cigarettes causes 1 in every 5 deaths in the U.S. every year. This is another reason why smoking weed should be legalized and cigarettes should be banned. Marijuana can have bad effects, but they are far better than the effects of smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol. So, if we replace cigarettes with weed, less harm and more benefits will be done to America, no matter the effects of marijuana.

https://www.factslides.com...

"For those trying to quit weed, it may be much harder for them if it is legal and out in the open. I can attest to that with my ex drug addict sister, who moved across the country to get away from it and the people she did drugs with."

So you are saying that it easier for people to quit smoking weed since it is illegal and not out in the open? Well that means if we make cigarettes or alcohol illegal, then it will be easier for the addicts to quit, making this a solution to the entire problem. Therefore, we can legalize weed, benefiting America entirely, and ban cigarettes, also benefiting America entirely.

"Allowing weed into society also is quite unfair to the autistic population and other populations that may be in some way vulnerable to smoke."

Everybody is vulnerable to smoke, not any certain populations. But to eliminate the problem of second-hand smoking, the government can enforce rules by putting signs that say "No Smoking" in locations where many people are often, or creating locations specifically for weed-smokers.

In summary, weed has a couple negative effects, but ultimately more benefits, and won't really harm you if you don't abuse the drug. Smoking cigarettes has many negative effects, and ultimately no benefits, and will harm you even if you don't abuse it. This is why it would be beneficial to replace cigarettes with weed, rather than ban weed and allow people to smoke cigarettes, harming the country far more than benefiting it. And while second-hand smoking is a problem, it can be prevented with many solutions such as creating locations specifically for weed-smoker, or putting "No Smoking" signs in normally crowded locations.
Arganger

Con

I will start by addressing your alledged benifets;
Boosting revenue,Yes, it does give the state more money. But that isn't an excuse for legal Poison, or companies take advantage of a self created mental illness. Nor does it make up for the high dealths on the road alone.
Creating more effective law enforcement, I do not see how you expect that to work.
And allowing patients to use medical marijuana. Medical marijuana is a separate issue, as I keep saying. It should be a prescription required medication and not given in the form of smoke to reduce negative effects. Medical is different than recreational.

Cigarettes cannot be "Replaced" Those addicted are addicted to nicotine, not weed. They are a major problem, but the point of keeping weed illegal is to prevent a similar problem growing from that. Even if I felt that your three benefits were strong, of which I only see boosting revenue as a true benefit, weed is still mostly harmful. Any society that will take advantage of people in such a way as addiction is harmful.

The constent dealths from ciggerettes is a problem of course, not to mention
53,800 people die every year from secondhand smoke exposure. But like I said, addiction is not easily replaced, so it is best to keep both out of peoples hands.

https://www.cdc.gov...

Do you want people to have to go through this when they try to quit?

"I am a researcher at a university and have studied the effects of drugs, particularly alcohol, on the brain for the last decade or so. Like many of my friends and colleagues, I consider marijuana to be a relatively low-risk drug when used in moderation by responsible adults. However, I am now forced to admit that my view of the discontinuation syndrome was naïve and that I was completely unprepared for it myself:

Week 1: Despite missing my evening smoking session and feeling some mild irritability, I felt fine.

Week 2: Mild flu-like symptoms, which I assumed to be viral in nature though it did not exactly feel viral. No real desire to smoke marijuana. I assumed I was out of the woods and had gotten off easy.

Week 3: Sudden onset of incredibly intense and vivid dreams. Profuse sweating at night. Difficulty discerning dreaming from waking state. Lack of energy. Upset stomach. Absolutely no appetite. Unable to focus. Saw my primary care physician. All labs normal.

Week 4: This is where the real problems began for me. Sudden onset of intense, full body anxiety…. This led to complete insomnia for days. A very deep feeling of dread and a sense that I was going completely insane. Crying spells that came from nowhere….

Week 5: The intense anxiety slowly began to dissipate… was able to sleep for 4-6 hours a night, which is approaching normal for me. Appetite slowly came back but the thought of eating was unpleasant. Feeling of confidence began to return. Feelings of hopelessness and of going crazy began to diminish." -

http://brainblogger.com...

As I keep saying, cigarettes cannot be replaced by weed be cause an addiction to nicotine is much different to an addiction to weed.

The best way to combat addiction in general is to put money into recovery programs. Should we ban tobacco? Yes, diffenity, but then doesn't mean we shouldn't keep weed banned.

Second hand smoking isn't just a problem in public, inside private homes there is a secret victim. The smokers children. It is possible that exposure to weed second hand is worse than that of tobacco as well. Perhaps the only reason weed seems better is because of the lack of long term research.

In denver, as I said, you cannot go far without running into someone with a joint, so it doesn't seem the government is working to control it much at all.

When I mean more sensitive I mean more sensitive. With the smell sensitive autistic example, it can cause an off the bat autistic meltdown. They are painful, stressful, confusing, and can cause one to do one of three things out of their control, fight, flight or freeze. Smoke, weed or tobacco, can cause excruciating pain and fear.

Flight could get someone hit by a car.

For people with asthma smoke can cause an attack which could in some cases even be life threatening.

https://www.drugabuse.gov...

cole.bonds

Pro

As far as the risks go, which is pretty much the only thing that stops you from thinking recreational marijuana should be legalized, they shouldn't matter, since there is a risk to everything. For example, the risk to driving a car is that you could possibly get in a wreck and either injure yourself or even die. 1.3 million people die in car crashes a year. Does this mean we should ban driving? Of course not! Is addiction a problem with recreational marijuana? Well, did you know medicinal marijuana can also be addictive? Does this mean we should reject the legalization of medicinal marijuana? Of course not! Maybe you're right; maybe we shouldn't ban the smoking of cigarettes. But it still makes no sense to me as to why we shouldn't legalize the smoking of weed.

http://www.narconon.org...

To summarize my argument, legalizing recreational marijuana does have risks, but it also has benefits. Just because something has risks doesn't mean it shouldn't be legalized. And majority of America wants it to be legalized! Therefore, I see no reason why recreational marijuana shouldn't be legalized, and my opinion is the same as it was before this debate.

http://thehill.com...

This has been a good debate, Con, and I really enjoyed it. I"m not the best at debating, but I feel you have gave me a challenge that has improved my debating skills, so thank you. Good luck in the voting period!
Arganger

Con

Unlike cars, of which the main purpose is to get you places, and medical marijuana of which the main purpose is to help you get better, weed has no purpose except to get people high, and to get the sellers money.

Weed has the same inherent purpose as heroin.

I once again do believe in the banning of cigarettes I just believe it is a different issue due to it's difficulty and place in society.

To summarize my argument, The negatives of weed and dangers far outweigh any potential benefits, and if we legalize weed, it will be hard to reverse.

Medical cannabis should be treated as we treat medical opioids.

The government should also put more emphasis on rehabilitation programs and we should work as a country to a clean America.

Thank you for the good argument, and I look forward to any potential votes,
Posted by turdnuggets 5 months ago
turdnuggets
i dont care cuz i live in maine and weed is legal there so i dont give a f*ck haha lol
Posted by missmedic 5 months ago
missmedic
Illegal means no control.
Posted by cole.bonds 5 months ago
cole.bonds
Arganger I'm talking about recreational marijuana
Posted by Arganger 5 months ago
Arganger
Medical or recreational?