yoyopizza
Nur-Ab-Sal

Snow is better than rain

Nur-Ab-Sal

yoyopizza

Con

Im new to this and only 14 so expect to win. Ok, the argument dosent start till the 2nd round.This is a friendly debate so... ya
Nur-Ab-Sal

Pro

I accept. I usually don't debate things like this but I feel that rain is better than snow!
yoyopizza

Con

Umm... I don't really think you looked very closely at my debate. The debate was "Snow is better than rain" which I am against. But I will argue the opposing side anyways. Although snow is cold, people can get colder if soaked by rain if its not warm outside. Snow is quiet and can be beautiful, where as rain is thunderously loud at times and makes mud. Snow can be fun, everybody has to love going sledding or snowball fights, skiing, snowboarding, ect. And of course, a top one for those in school... Have ever heard of a day off for rain? No. Your turn! :)
Nur-Ab-Sal

Pro

I encourage everyone to give the Conduct points to Con, because I failed to recognise my position in this debate before I accepted. I am very thankful my opponent has offered to debate the opposing side, though I would have done the same. Thanks.

Temperature
My opponent makes the claim that "people can get colder if soaked by rain." While this is true, that people can often get colder through rain, the average temperature of rain, relative to the air temperature, is described in three patterns:
  • Type I: The rain starts with a minimum in its temperature but then rises to meet the air temperature within 1°C, which is also decreasing slowly[1]
  • Type II: The rain is considerably lower than the air temperature. This is commonly associated with hail.[1]
  • Type III: The difference between the air temperature and rain temperature is small throughout the entire storm.[1]

As you can see, there is much variability in how cold rain can actually be, and many times it is dependent on the time a subject is caught in the rain, and also the local air temperature. Snow, however, ranges from -1°C to -15°C.[2]

Although it is possible for rain to be colder than snow, depending on the air temperature and time, snow is on average colder than rain because it requires a low temperature and does not have as much variability.

Also, I apologize if I'm taking this too seriously.

Quiet and beautiful
I make this concession. Snow is much more beautiful and quiet than rain, and this is a valid point when considering subjective view.

Snow is fun
I guess if you enjoy cold sports!

Day off for Rain
I live in Louisiana. We get off for hurricanes all the time.

yoyopizza

Con

Nope your not taking this too seriously at all.
Ok, all that my opponent has stated throughout is that SOMETIMES, people will not get colder by rain, other than that all they have done is agree with my points. Also a hurricane is not rain, a hurricane is a tropical cyclone with maximum sustained winds of at least 74 mph. rain is water on that falls from the sky after evaporating and re-condensing. Hurricanes also are, by definition, tropical systems with well-organized circulation and convection.
Nur-Ab-Sal

Pro

I thank my opponent for his fantastic argument.

Temperature
Yeah, well sometimes is still sometimes, so my point still stands, and your point is still invalid. You stated in Round 2: "Although snow is cold, people can get colder if soaked by rain if its not warm outside." By using the word "can" you also set a condition, thus making your original point a "sometimes" as well.

Hurricane
While a hurricane by definition may not be a synonym of rain, the rain is still the reason we are let off school. Because I live in the South, there are not many tornadoes, and the lightning/thunder rarely causes any damage. Rather, it is the rain (and the accompanying wind) that causes the "damage."

Obviously, I'm not very good at pure-subjective debates...
Posted by frozen_eclipse 5 years ago
frozen_eclipse
sorry forgot to give conduct points to other side sincere apologies....
Posted by yoyopizza 5 years ago
yoyopizza
haha, and no your not taking it too seriously at all, this is fun!
Posted by Nur-Ab-Sal 5 years ago
Nur-Ab-Sal
Yep, none of my sources work and I added a 3rd source for no reason. I'm an idiot.

Source 1: http://journals.ametsoc.org...
Source 2: http://www.geotech.org...
Posted by Nur-Ab-Sal 5 years ago
Nur-Ab-Sal
You're right. It's completely my fault. I will tell the voters to give conduct to Con.
Posted by mee2kool4u369 5 years ago
mee2kool4u369
I cracked up....and I still am!!! You need to learn to read the whole situation before you hit accept!! :P
Posted by Nur-Ab-Sal 5 years ago
Nur-Ab-Sal
Wait am I arguing for rain? I hope so. I'll argue either way, really.
Vote Placed by renji_abarai 5 years ago
renji_abarai
yoyopizzaNur-Ab-SalTied
Reasons for voting decision: It shows good conduct to ask to give your opponent good conduct. Pro had more convincing arguments and at the end, his arguments stood out for because not everything was refuted. Speeling and Grammar was tied because both did good on that. Pro gave sources in this debate.
Vote Placed by Multi_Pyrocytophage 5 years ago
Multi_Pyrocytophage
yoyopizzaNur-Ab-SalTied
Reasons for voting decision: Giving con conduct points as per Pro's request. Pro had better arguments, turning around many of Con's points.
Vote Placed by frozen_eclipse 5 years ago
frozen_eclipse
yoyopizzaNur-Ab-SalTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro better formed his arguments and refuted better......
Vote Placed by Travniki 5 years ago
Travniki
yoyopizzaNur-Ab-SalTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pros points were not refuted thouroughly enough
Vote Placed by THEBOMB 5 years ago
THEBOMB
yoyopizzaNur-Ab-SalTied
Reasons for voting decision: Upon request I give Con the conduct points. I must give Pro arguments as he successfully turned many of Con's points and gave a good argument. :D I offer a word of advice to Con, if your opponent concedes a point, take advantage of it in your next round.