Tyler313
Phoenix61397

Soccer > Basketball

Phoenix61397
Started: 7/4/2014 Category: Sports

Tyler313

Pro

Begin your argument in round one.
Phoenix61397

Con

"Soccer is greater than basketball" is an extremely subjective statement. It is impossible to prove, unequivocally, beyond a reasonable doubt, that soccer is better than basketball. As you have the BoP, this is your duty. Meanwhile, my duty is to prove that basketball can be equal OR greater than soccer as a sport. If it can possibly be considered either of these two things, I win the debate. That being said, let's see why basketball can be better than soccer.

1) There is more action in basketball

A soccer match lasts 90 minutes per FIFA rules of play [1]. At average, in the duration of a match, roughly 3 goals total are scored [2]. This means that every half hour, a goal is scored, leaving the rest of the match to kicking around a soccer ball over an 130 yard field.
An NBA basketball game lasts 48 minutes. The average score (for 2013-2014) was 101 points per game [3]. This comes out to 63.12 points every 30 minutes. Obviously there is more scoring, and more action in the NBA than in Major League Soccer federations.

2) Basketball caters more to fan entertainment than soccer

First we must examine the nature of a professional sport. Why are athletes paid so much? Because they are entertainers. Who do they entertain? The fans, of course. Basketball leaves endless possibilities other than the actual game in which to enjoy the sport. The Harlem Globetrotters entertain people with their antics.
The NBA All Star Weekend also offers plenty of ways in which to further enjoy the sport, which soccer does not, such as a slam dunk contest, a three-point shootout, a Celebrity game, and the Skills Challenge [4].
3) Basketball is essential to the underprivileged African American way of life
When you say soccer, and not futbol, I assume this debate is largely based in American ideals. Many young African Americans grow up in terrible, poor neighborhoods such as Detroit. With a lack of opportunities, they turn to basketball. Basketball is a way to dream, a way to hope, a way to pull themselves to something greater, a way to connect with people of their neighborhoods. This was epitomized in the movie "Hoop Dreams" [5].
4) Even Elephants want to get in on basketball

So, in conclusion, is basketball better than soccer? Maybe. That depends on your subjective reality. But the real question is, objectively, can a sport be measured as better than another? Probably not. As you can see, basketball has some very good qualities, even those that exceed soccer. But which qualities are more important? That's entirely subjective. These sports cannot be seen as anything but equal and different, objectively. Therefore, soccer is not better than basketball. The opposition will not be able to prove this unequivocally false.

[1] http://www.fifa.com...

[2] http://www.soccerbythenumbers.com...

[3] http://www.basketball-reference.com...

[4] http://www.nba.com...

[5] http://en.wikipedia.org...

Good Luck!

Tyler313

Pro

I will start by rebutting your arguments and then continue by making some of my own.

1. Excitement

I agree with you that there is more scoring in basketball... It's a fact. But I think that's what makes soccer better. In basketball the same thing is happening throughout the game... A ball is put through a hoop over and over again each team hoping they can put the ball through they're hoop more times than the other team. Where as in soccer a goal is not come by often making the one or two goals scored much more exciting.

2. Entertainment for fans

As I said before scoring a goal as extremely exciting in soccer but that's not the only exciting thing. If you pay close attention you will notice the skillful footwork and the perfect passes starting opportunities to score. A goal can happen at any moment, fans can excitedly watch waiting patiently for the moment their team breaks away and puts the ball in the back of the net. And probably the most exciting the in sports is a part of soccer. A penalty shoutout. A shootout occurs when a winner is required and the game is tied at the end of 90 minutes.

3. Essentiality

I agree that sports create a constructive outlet for people... But your only considering one part of the world. In other countries where they're aren't basketball goals what are they going to do? If they have any kind of ball and any objects to mark the goals they can easily start a game of soccer.

Now I will begin my own arguments.

1. Soccer is played worldwide

Soccer is the most played sport in the world. That's a fact and can't be argued with. Basketball however isn't even the top sport in
the US.

2. Soccer gives you pride for your country

In the World Cup countries from all over the world come to compete for the title of world champions. Basically one month that completely revolves around soccer. Soccer unites the whole world, people from all the countries competing come to support their team. They come to the stadium wearing their countries colors, countries flags, faces painting excitedly cheering on their team. When does basketball bring this kind of global excitement? The Olympics? They aren't completely about basketball.

3. Soccer is more difficult

Because you use your hands everyday for nearly everything and all your feat do is help you walk it makes sense that it is easier I will start by rebutting your arguments and then continue by making some of my own.

1. Excitement

2. Entertainment for fans

As I said before scoring a goal as extremely exciting in soccer but that's not the only exciting thing. If you pay close attention you will notice the skillful footwork and the perfect passes starting opportunities to score. A goal can happen at any moment, fans can excitedly watch waiting patiently for the moment their team breaks away and puts the ball in the back of the net. And probably the most exciting the in sports is a part of soccer. A penalty shoutout.

3. Essentiality

Now I will begin my own arguments.

1. Soccer is played worldwide

the US.

3. Soccer is more difficult

Because you use your hands everyday for nearly everything and all you feat do is help you walk it makes sense that it is easier to move a ball with your hands than with your feat. Shooting a basketball although takes plenty of practice can be mastered by learning correct form, where as shooting a soccer ball can be quite difficult, especially with a keeper standing in the goal blocking your shots.
Phoenix61397

Con

Thank you for your arguments.

1. Excitement

I suppose this point is rather subjective. For me, the thrill of watching a person find creative ways to put a ball through a hoop is very exciting, such as these dunks below. Watch some of them, it's entertaining.
https://m.youtube.com...

Even in soccer, as you have admitted in your argument, people are waiting for that moment when their team scores. Scoring is arguably the most exciting moment of a soccer game as well. Some soccer goals are very interesting (though less so than dunks, in my subjective opinion). However, these moments occur far less often than in a basketball game. The culmination of excitement, the way that a team wins, is by scoring. Unfortunately, due to the enormous size of soccer fields, (at the very least, slightly over three times the size of a basketball court) [1] the amount of scoring is inhibited. This is not to say soccer is not exciting, this is to say, using an objective measure, basketball is more exciting.

2. Entertainment for Fans

Soccer is not unentertaining. However, it lacks the ability to create new and exciting facets of the sport in order to provide the multitude of entertainment that basketball can provide. All Star Weekend for the NBA demonstrates the wide range of activities basketball can provide for.

3. Essentiality

Yes, you are correct, sports in general do provide an outlet for people. But who are we to judge a sport as better for this than another? I was under the incorrect impression that we were mainly discussing the United States as you said soccer instead of futbol. Both sports help children in underprivileged areas throughout the world, and neither can be considered better here. My apologies. This argument really cannot show that basketball is better, but it does not show soccer is better either. Rather, they are both beneficial sports to their respective communities and cultures. If soccer is not better than basketball, you have not fulfilled your burden, and you lose.

Now I will rebut your arguments.

1. Basketball is played worldwide as well. It is also the third-most popular sport in the US, below football and baseball, and above soccer [2]. I will acknowledge, it is not as popular worldwide as soccer. However, a lot of this comes from European culture, and popularity does not guarantee quality. This is an appeal to popularity fallacy.

2. This argument is fairly fallacious. Here's why: The statement "Soccer gives you pride in your country" is a complete non-sequitur. Soccer does not give pride. Winning above all other nations gives pride. Winning a gold medal in the Olympics, like the United States Basketball team did, gives pride as well. This does not demonstrate that soccer is better. This point is also very similar to the above point, in that you assume just because soccer is more popular and has a world cup, it is better.

3. Soccer is actually less difficult. According to ESPN's scientific rankings of difficulty of sports, basketball is the fourth hardest sport in the world, while soccer is tenth [3].

In conclusion, my opponent has not proven soccer is better than basketball. To be fair, I do not believe my points (though valid) prove basketball is objectively, as a whole, better than soccer. However, they do prove it is an equal and different sport. If the sports are equal, the opponent has not fulfilled his burden, and I have won the debate. Vote con. Thank you all!

[1] http://www.fifa.com...
[2] http://sporteology.com...
[3] http://sports.espn.go.com...
Tyler313

Pro

Tyler313 forfeited this round.
Phoenix61397

Con

My opponent has forfeited, and I extend my arguments.
Tyler313

Pro

You are correct that no sport can be proven better than the other thus technically you win. I herby forfeit you out smarted me.
Phoenix61397

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for his participation in this debate. He, however, has conceded, and no further arguments need to be made. Vote con. Thank you all.
Posted by ishi911 2 years ago
ishi911
Basketball is better... :)
Posted by Domr 2 years ago
Domr
"There is more action in basketball"

Yet you said how soccer matches last almost twice as long. How do you determine what "action" is. Solely by points scored?

And Basketball players (nationwide) are paid more because of lucrative TV contracts, not because they are "better entertainers".

Soccer (futbol) is the most popular sport in the world (yes, not in the US, but we are not limited to that scope) so you would have to assume that soccer is more entertaining to the world.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
Tyler313Phoenix61397Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff + concession
Vote Placed by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
Tyler313Phoenix61397Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited, so by default con wins, but even when comparing arguments, con still wins. The arguments in round one about entertainment for fans in the main reason of why I side with con.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Tyler313Phoenix61397Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
Tyler313Phoenix61397Tied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.