jdog2016
KaylynMarieXOX

Soccer IS overall the best sport in the world

jdog2016
Started: 5/31/2013 Category: Sports

jdog2016

Pro

Round uno is for acceptance. NO ARGUMENTS.

I strongly believe that soccer is the best sport in the world.

You will be arguing that, 'Soccer is not the best sport in the world'.

Ground rules:

<>Good spelling
<>Don't say 'I like basket ball more', and then start listing reasons why basket ball is your favorite sport. Your job is not to promote another sport besides soccer. Your job in this debate is to give reasons why soccer is not the best sport, not why another sport is.
<>Though I suppose a bit here and there is alright, keep the vulgarity at a low.
<>Don't give stupid arguments, like 'the balls they use in Soccer look dumb'.
<>Don't accept this debate is your not going to finish it.
Continued failure abide by these rules after a warning(will post in the comments) will result in a vote bombing in favor of Pro.

Good luck,
JDoG
KaylynMarieXOX

Con

I don't agree with you that's it's the BEST sport.
And honestly not everyone is going to think that, it all depends on the person. I'm not saying I don't like soccer because I do but it's not the best in my eyes, but it's good that you have such a passion for it.
jdog2016

Pro

I stand affirmative to the resolution that 'Soccer IS overall the best sport in the world'.

Below are my contentions.

1. It's popular

A. This argument a cannot be falsified. It is a simple fact. More people play soccer around the globe, than any other sport out there. In fact, the only sport some countries have, is soccer. According to figures noted, Football (soccer) had about 265 million registered 'players' (265 mil. only including 'pros' as opposed to 'fans'). Cricket, Table Tennis, Volleyball and Basketball also topped the 200 million mark. For those who really want to know, Rugby Union totalled about 2 million, Rugby League less than 1 million.
Based on playing numbers (registered players), Soccer is the most played sport in almost every country in the world. That also includes a number of countries that traditionally think of other sports (such as baseball, gridiron and rugby) as their 'national' game. ie. The USA, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand.

B. The Fifa world cup

If you have not heard of it, the world cup is the single, biggest sporting event in the world.

I am sure that total viewing for Olympics is more than World Cup, however that is because for 3 weeks you will see Olympic events non stop for 12 hours a day. In some cases far more than 12 hours. And to show all events you will use more than one channel at a time. Football World Cup will normally show 2 games a day, with a total of 3 hours per day.

There is no doubt however that most Olympic events get very low viewing figures (apart from the 100 meters for men) whereas all the soccer games get high figures.

So I suppose Football gets much higher figures for the period it is being shown.

"....however it's roots is often traced back to several ancient civilizations throughout the world. Since it's modern day creation, soccer, otherwise know as football to the rest of the world, has taken the world by storm. So much so that to some, soccer is a religion! "The fact that a church was formed in the name of Diego Armando Maradona, the Argentinean legendary striker...1" is just more evidence of peoples craze for the sport."

- https://wikis.engrade.com...
That is how much people love this sport.

2. Scoring

In basketball for example, the average game has at least one point gained about every 20 sec. That's a pretty frequent scoring ratio. Basketball is just one example, however my point, is that some people argue that soccer is boring, because people only score on occasion. Needless to say, I think that the infrequent scoring is one of the aspects, that makes the game as fun and entertaining as it is.

The reason I believe this, is because in basketball, people score very frequently(as stated above), therefore making the anticipation of a score not very high, because it happens so often. However in Soccer, sense the scoring is rare, it makes the moment all that better when someone finally does score. Because that goal technically is only worth 1 point, however in reality, it gives the scoring team a substantial lead on the opposing team.

The resolution stands, and is impenetrable.

VOTE
PRO

KaylynMarieXOX

Con

If you're talking about the way the sport is set up and how it's viewed in different countries than yes.
But the way you're saying it sounds like it's your opinion. Any other person who has a passion for any other sport can argue that fact with you that, that sport is better.
jdog2016

Pro

1. It's Popular

A. "If you're talking about the way the sport is set up and how it's viewed in different countries than yes.
But the way you're saying it sounds like it's your opinion. Any other person who has a passion for any other sport can argue that fact with you that, that sport is better."

Sure, I have a passion for Soccer. That is irrelevant to this argument.

"This argument a cannot be falsified. It is a simple fact. More people play soccer around the globe, than any other sport out there.", I said last round. This is not an opinion, but a FACT. It is backed up by data. Soccer is the MOST popular sport in the world.

Sources to back this up:
http://wiki.answers.com...
http://www.fifa.com...

My opponent has ignored my next two arguments, therefore I win contentions 1B, and 2.
EXTEND ALL PREVIOUSE ARGUMENTS INTO THIS ROUND.

RECAP:
<>Opponent ignored most arguments.
<>He/she's response was a mere 3 sentences.
<>I proved my point with valid sources in contention 1A.

Conclusion.......

VOTE
PRO
KaylynMarieXOX

Con

I have no further arguments.
jdog2016

Pro

I have to say, I'm a bit confused right now. You say "I have no further arguments", and yet I have just given you arguments. Three arguments in fact. COME ON. You can't just quit.
KaylynMarieXOX

Con

KaylynMarieXOX forfeited this round.
Posted by jdog2016 3 years ago
jdog2016
KaylynMarieXOX, HAS FORFEITED ROUND 4. SHE HAS ALREADY RECEIVED HER WARNING, HOWEVER SHE HAS STILL ABANDONED THIS DEBATE. AS STATED EARLIER IN THE DEBATE, THE CONSEQUENCE FOR THIS IS A VOTEBOMB IN MY FAVOR.

THANK YOU.

-JDoG
Posted by jdog2016 3 years ago
jdog2016
well, I suppose that is your opinion. (see whattt I did thererrr) xD
Posted by ZaBen15 3 years ago
ZaBen15
No it actually can't. A best of something is an opinion. Even if the majority of people say one thing is the best, it does not make that te best. Just the most popular, which soccer is. But nothing can be proven to be the best opinion-wise. Plus soccer may be the most popular because almost every country plays it, but that dies not mean the majority of people like soccer. No one knows what the majority of every person in the world thinks. Soccer is the most popular sport based in countries, but no one knows what the majority of people like. and no one will know until someone asks every living human being, which, as of now is impossible.
Posted by jdog2016 3 years ago
jdog2016
sure it can. If the majority of the population believes that soccer is the best sport, then by definition, it is the best sport.
Posted by ZaBen15 3 years ago
ZaBen15
JDog, all if your facts may be true, but no matter how many facts you have to support an opinion (i.e. Soccer is the best sport), you will never prove it. In your arguments you have proved completely that soccer is the most popular sport in the world. But that does not prove it to be the best. That is an opinion and opinions can never be proven. Each person is entitled to their own opinion of the best sport. For you that is soccer. For others it may be different. But no sport can ever be proven to be the best.
Posted by jdog2016 3 years ago
jdog2016
Perhaps ;)
Posted by Sleezehead 3 years ago
Sleezehead
I think if we got a round table of critics and they reviewed every sport in the world for the first time, soccer wouldn't be the best opinioned. I think it would make it into maybe top 10 just because of the whole feet only thing it has going for it.
Posted by Sleezehead 3 years ago
Sleezehead
Soccer the best overall because its nationally more accepted. If basket ball or American foot ball or any other sport for that matter, was played more nationally originally, than they would have been the overall best sport. But comin from someone who enjoys coming in to new sports, soccer is just plain boring. Opinions may vary.
Posted by jdog2016 3 years ago
jdog2016
It is when everyone votes all 7 points to pro, or con.
Posted by Upold2135 3 years ago
Upold2135
what is a votebomb
Vote Placed by jayden2016 3 years ago
jayden2016
jdog2016KaylynMarieXOXTied
Reasons for voting decision: Usually, I don't listen to votebombs, but in this case, it seems just.