Mr.Lincoln
intellectuallyprimitive

Soccer (football) is the best sport out there

intellectuallyprimitive
Started: 11/3/2014 Category: Sports

Mr.Lincoln

Pro

First round is acceptance...
intellectuallyprimitive

Con

I bestow my acceptance.
Mr.Lincoln

Pro

Soccer is the most popular sport in the world. So in my opinion, it has to be the best. Soccer is an incredibly intense sport. It is fast paced, making some games mind-numbingly intense.
intellectuallyprimitive

Con

"Soccer is the most popular sport in the world," which is the first claim advanced from my opponent. As it pertains to popularity and viewership, I will concede that soccer is the leading sport. However, this debate does not involve the proposition that soccer is the most popular sport, but rather the best. This claim alone does not merit soccer as the best sport. The next claim from my opponent is, "in my opinion, it has to be the best," which is purely conjecture and does not enhance Pro's position. This is a claim merely induced from Pro's conviction that soccer is the best, but Pro failed to provide any arguments as to why soccer is the best, aside from popularity.

"Soccer is an incredibly fast paced, intense sport," my opponent posits.
Below I will provide a few sports that match the criteria of a fast paced game:

Basketball
Lacrosse
Hockey

"Making some games mind-numbingly intense," my opponent advances.
Below are some sports that involve crucial intensity:

American Football
Wrestling (Greco-Roman and certain MMA styles)
Boxing
Track (Particularly the events such as the 100 meter, 200 meter, and the 400 meter sprints)

Pro's entire first round consisted of pure conviction, which does not serve as reasonable premises to support the notion.
Pro must offer substantial substance to support the proposition under consideration, rather than assert his opinion.

Pro, you have the metaphorical floor.

http://sporteology.com...
Mr.Lincoln

Pro

The popularity of soccer is immense. You see kids play it everyday in places like Africa and Europe. Soccer wouldn't be so immensely popular without it being the best. But I think saying it's the best sport is somewhat of an opinion. But almost everywhere in the world except for the US and Canada, that's a fact. We're starting to see soccer flourish in America, and over 30% of households in the US have a person playing the sport. But why am I bringing this up? It's that if it wasn't the best, people around the Earth wouldn't be playing it. I would also like to object to Basketball being a fast-paced sport because I find basketball a bit boring.
intellectuallyprimitive

Con

Pro has merely restated his previous premise from round 2 in round 3, wherein he claimed soccer is immensely popular, thus deeming it the best. Pro then states, "you see kids play it everyday in places like Africa and Europe," which is speculation and is irrelevant because it can be observed that kids play other sports as well in various countries. Pro states, "it's that if it wasn't the best, people around the earth wouldn't be playing it." Pro seems to neglect that soccer requires one ball and can be played on a field or even an open area with up to 20 people, which is quite simplistic. Other sports such as hockey, tennis, or even baseball, require much more equipment and specific apparatus. This is why many kids play the sport worldwide.

Pro disputes my claim that basketball is fast paced.
Fast - moving at high speed
Pace - consistent and continuous speed in walking, running, or moving

As you can see in the video, the player with possession of the ball and the opposing teams defender(s), are constantly moving at a medium to fast rate of speed. Also, when a turnover or attacking team advances to enemy territory, the rate at which both teams are moving are equally rapid. Albeit my succinct analysis of basketball is indirectly pertinant to the notion, I am baffled as to why Pro contends that basketball is not a fast paced sport.

Moreover, pro concedes that saying soccer is the best sport is an opinion, which I unanimously agree, however the proposition under consideration requires Pro's attempt to demonstrate it via argumentation, which Pro has yet to sufficiently accomplish.
Mr.Lincoln

Pro

I concede the debate. Please give all points to my opponent
intellectuallyprimitive

Con

No further arguments.
Posted by TK57 2 years ago
TK57
Soccer is only the most popular because its the cheapest to play. While a sport like football requires a lot of money to play.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Those goal keepers could lay down and take a nap and no one would notice.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
mister Lincoln.... Watched enough of it to say what I said. I do not think more of it will change that.
Posted by Mr.Lincoln 2 years ago
Mr.Lincoln
Exactly
Posted by canadienmuscle 2 years ago
canadienmuscle
I think they are intense too but thats not what the debate was about. My point is that faking injuries is not a trait of the best sport in my opinion I guess if it is in your book then I cant argue with that.
Posted by Mr.Lincoln 2 years ago
Mr.Lincoln
Not all players flop. It's not because it's inexpensive (though that is one of the main reasons), it's because soccer games are intense. From a 0-0 draw to 7-1 World Cup semifinal victory, I find all soccer games intense
Posted by canadienmuscle 2 years ago
canadienmuscle
So you are acknowledging that they fake injuries! That is exactly my point. That is the most messed up aspect of the game. It should be against the rules to fake an injury (as it is in hockey). Its the mpst popular sport because its very inexpensive to play and you only need a ball. Doesnt make it the best sport. I'm not saying its not a good sport, just not the best for obvious reasons.
Posted by Mr.Lincoln 2 years ago
Mr.Lincoln
It's not to waste time, it's to get a free kick or penalty. I enjoy hockey, but soccer to me, is one of the most intense sport. There is a reason that soccer is the most popular sport in the world
Posted by canadienmuscle 2 years ago
canadienmuscle
Passion is found in every sport and excitement is hardly a good description of soccer as the last professional soccer game I attended ended 0-0. I didnt just say soccer was faking injuries but it would be false to say that at least one person every singgle match lays on the ground to waste time. It happens every single match. You're not very good at this are you?;)
Posted by Mr.Lincoln 2 years ago
Mr.Lincoln
Soccer is a great sport because of the passion, the excitement. Soccer isn't just faking injuries
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
Mr.LincolnintellectuallyprimitiveTied
Reasons for voting decision: concession.
Vote Placed by TK57 2 years ago
TK57
Mr.LincolnintellectuallyprimitiveTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con gave actual reasons to why Soccer isnt the best sport while Pro gave nonlogical reasons.