leojm
tulle

Soccer is better than Volleyball

tulle
Started: 6/4/2013 Category: Sports

leojm

Pro

First acceptance, then argument. Good luck and have fun. :P
tulle

Con

I will negate the resolution that soccer (European football) is better than volleyball, and look forward to my opponent's arguments.
leojm

Pro

First of all I would like to thank my apponent for tacking initiative to debate me on this subject. This is all opinionated. Ok these are my first points.

Why soccer is just an awesome sport overall.

1. This is an agressive sport. You can get all source of concusions.
2. It's fun to watch.
3. You can play outside in any weather.
4. It's fun to watch the refs in the game when they get hit with the ball.
5. Soccer is exciting to watch because, you never know what might happen, it's aways a surprise what the person is going to do.
6. You are more active in soccer.
7. Your conatantly moving.
8. Soccer is more entertaining.
9. Little or no drama.

Volleyball

1. Not active at all, all you do is stand there and wait for the ball to come to you.
2. You always expect what is going to happen in Volleyball
3. People hardly get hurt.
4. You play inside.
5. It's soooo dramatic
6. It's boring to watch. (In my opinion)

This is all I have for right now. I will reply to my opponents argument latter. Once again thank you for debating me. :P
tulle

Con

Thank you, leojm, for your prompt response.

I will let you know when to watch the video.

I would like to condense my opponent’s arguments before I respond to them, as many of them are the same.

Rebuttal of Pro’s Case

1. Soccer is an aggressive sport. (1)/ Volleyball players hardly get hurt. (3)

This is actually a point in my favour. Volleyball is a better sport because people are less likely to get injured [http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...]. My opponent will have to show why getting hurt and being more aggressive means that a sport is better for it to uphold the resolution.

Players getting hurt in soccer puts them out of commission for the game, and possibly even the season [http://www.oddee.com...]. Not getting to see your favourite player play is no fun.

And as an athlete, if you could choose to not get injured, why would you choose otherwise?

2. Soccer is fun to watch/entertaining. (2, 4, 5, 8)/ Volleyball is boring to watch and you always expect what is going to happen. (2, 6)

This is a matter of personal opinion. The numbers of goals scored in an entire soccer game can average anywhere from 1-5 [http://www.soccervista.com...], whereas the number of points required to win a volleyball game is at least 25 on one side [http://www.livestrong.com...].

I’m not sure what my opponent means by “you always expect what is going to happen” but this contention directly contradictions #5.

3. You can play outside in any weather. (3)/ You play volleyball inside. (4)

Even if you can play soccer during a thunderstorm, that doesn’t mean it is desirable to. You can also play volleyball outside.

4. Soccer more active. (6, 7)/ Volleyball is less active. (1)

Volleyball involves six players on one side in a confined space, bending, jumping, swinging their arms, and diving, in a high-paced environment. Every single member of a volleyball team is more active than the goalie in soccer. Soccer is only as interesting as the people in direct contact with the ball, while in volleyball, the entire court is used at all times.

Please see the video I posted of a soccer goal keeper bored out of his mind.

5. Soccer has little or no drama. (9)/ Volleyball is dramatic. (5)

Not sure what this is supposed to mean. It directly contradicts contention #2.

My Case

1. Soccer is full of cheating.

Between handballs and faked injuries to gain an advantage, this low-life behaviour undermines the spirit of sportsmanship [http://news.discovery.com...] [http://bleacherreport.com...].

2. Co-ed volleyball is fairer to women.

Soccer requires players to be faster and more agile, and as my opponent admits, more aggressive, which leaves women on a co-ed team disadvantaged. They are also likely to be largely ignored. Volleyball is a more egalitarian sport because it involves both sides sticking to their own relative positions and the movements made while playing volleyball do not give inherent advantage to one gender; the only advantage would come in strength (spiking the ball) and height, but if girls are on both teams, it balances that out.

What makes a better sport? My opponent provides her opinion, which is nice, but I have hit you with the facts. Volleyball is an active and fun sport that results in fewer injuries, and it allows for both sexes to play together. Soccer is full of cheating, which flies in the face of sportsmanship.

leojm

Pro

This is all very good.
But see that's what is really fun about watching and playing soccer. People get hurt and it's a contact sport. I played volleyball in middle school and from my own experience it was not that fun at all. I am full of energy and for some reason in volleyball I was never able to excert all of my energy. Yes I have broken a couple noses of other team. I almost pulled my arm out of the socket when I served the ball. It is some what a rough sport but it's not a contact sport. I believe contact sports are more exciting becouse well it's contact.
Thank you for debating me. I put this debate up for fun. :P
tulle

Con

My opponent dropped all of her arguments, and did not address any of mine. She contradicts herself by saying soccer is better because people hardly get hurt playing volleyball, then describes gruesome volleyball injuries. She presents anecdotal evidence and personal opinion, which goes against the spirit of debate. Arguments extended.

Thank you for reading.
Posted by birdlandmemories 3 years ago
birdlandmemories
I like soccer and volleyball. I'd have to say soccer is a little bit better, but both are exciting.
Posted by leojm 3 years ago
leojm
oh ok
Posted by tulle 3 years ago
tulle
I have 3 members on my blocked list, and you are not on it. I may have removed you as a friend, but that was unrelated to this debate.
Posted by leojm 3 years ago
leojm
You did block me, I thought it was because of the debate. Sorry for misunderstanding, But the fact is you did block me and I wana know why.
Posted by tulle 3 years ago
tulle
Leojm---I see my name mentioned on your profile, and that you claim I blocked you because of this debate. If you're going to lie, at least do it in a PM. I have never blocked you, nor have I ever implied that I blocked you.
Posted by InFamous 3 years ago
InFamous
PRO makes all soccer fans/players look like idiots..
Posted by leojm 3 years ago
leojm
Sorry, I wasn't paying any attention to this debate. I was doing homework and talking to my boyfriend. I also was preparing for work. my apologies.
Posted by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 3 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
"You can get all source of concusions."

If I choose to play a sport based on the likelihood of getting concusssions (I won't), I'd probably choose the one *less* likely to get me concussions...

Personally, I know how to play soccer while I never got around to play volleyball. That's probably the only reason why I'd pick one over the other. Also, there are greater opportunities in soccer if you make it as a professional. There is European club soccer, the FIFA world cup, etc.
Posted by tulle 3 years ago
tulle
Wow... clearly I put too much effort into my round =__=
Posted by tblankenship2006 3 years ago
tblankenship2006
I don't see how this could possibly be challenged.
Vote Placed by HeartOfGod 3 years ago
HeartOfGod
leojmtulleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con obviously had better arguments that were drawn out better as well. Pics and videos helped too hahah
Vote Placed by Ameliamk1 3 years ago
Ameliamk1
leojmtulleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Not even close. Good job con.
Vote Placed by jdog2016 3 years ago
jdog2016
leojmtulleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Soccer is better. I'm in HS though, and volleyball can be fun to watch.
Vote Placed by leprechaun 3 years ago
leprechaun
leojmtulleTied
Reasons for voting decision: I know that soccer is a better sport, but sadly pro presented weak arguments and posted zero sources.
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 3 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
leojmtulleTied
Reasons for voting decision: This debate could have been better. I felt Pro's arguments were weak to begin with and Con does a good job of negating them after which Pro drops all points. A clear Con win.