DakotaWHTMN
Hello-Orange

Soccer is better then American Football

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
Started: 7/19/2011 Category: Sports

DakotaWHTMN

Pro

This argument is about which is better, American Football or Soccer. I look forward to your argument. (Please serious debaters only)
Hello-Orange

Con

I thank my opponent for initiating such a fun debate!

Prior to the start of this round, let it be said of me that really couldn't care less abut sports. What I mean by this is that I don't like football better than soccer, and throughout the course of this debate it will not be my intention to prove that football is better than soccer but that soccer is not better than football.

All of that said, I again thank my opponent for initiating such fun a debate!
Now my opponent has not yet offered any constructive arguments for this debate. So in order to be as fair and to provide as much reciprocal ground as possible, I will provide no arguments either.
That said I will take this moment to provide a few observations and clarifications about the round at hand.

= Observations =
These observations are things that I personally see true about this debate. They are not absolute truths, and may be questioned or attacked if my opponent sees it necessary to do so.

+ The burden of proof is on the Pro in this debate. At the start of this debate it will be understood that both football and soccer are two different types of the same thing; a sport. accordingly they are on equal standing, and neither is better than the other. The Pro must however warrant that there is an aspect, or multiple aspects of soccer that make it a better sport than football.

+ As the Con in this debate I have several options that I can pursue to fulfill in order to win this debate. If at the end of this round you as the voters believe any of them to be true, then I have won this round.
They include, but are not limited to-
1. Maintaining the status quo that both of these sports are equal.
2. Proving that Football is better than soccer.
3. Proving that neither is important.
Whereas the Pro must contend that soccer is absolutely better than football.
Essentially what I'm getting at is if at the end of this debate my opponent has not proven that soccer is better than football then I will win the round. It really doesn't matter whether I prove football is better than soccer or not.

+ Popularity doesn't make something better. My opponent must prove that soccer is better than football, or that football is worse than soccer based on the merits of the sport itself. So an argument saying that "X many people more like Soccer than Football" will not be considerable as a viable argument.

= Conclusion =
All of this said here's to an amazing round!
And again, I would like to point out that my observations are meant for clarity of the round as a whole. If there is any part of them that my opponent disagrees with, they are more than welcome to challenge them. They are not arguments, not absolutes but are my own observations to clarify the round.

Good luck to my opponent, and here's to a fantastic round!
DakotaWHTMN

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting this challenge! I will state my reasons for soccer being better below:

Physically demanding - The average Pro soccer player runs 6 miles a game constantly, since they don't stop the clock. Versus the Pro Footballer who just has short bursts of energy, then relaxes for about 10 seconds.

Amount of Practice - Soccer takes hundreds of hours of hard practice to get good at. It takes dozens of hours of practicing dribbling the ball to get good at it, versus where you can learn how to throw a football in 10 minutes.

And, the final thing, the amount of stuff you have to pay attention too. For example, the quarterback of a football team, only has to worry about throwing the ball to the person he's assigned too. While whoever has the ball in Soccer has to keep the ball away from his opponent who's right in front of him, and decided whether to pass it or keep it and try to penetrate the defense.

I await my opponents reply!
Hello-Orange

Con

I thank my opponent for their arguments!
As a brief road-map First I'm going to go straight down to flow and refute all of the arguments my opponent has made so far. Second I'm going to review the debate thus far, and show how the Con is winning.

= Rebuttals =
+ Physically demanding-
In my refutation for this point, there will be some cross-over to the next argument.
First, while soccer is in fact physically demanding, this is not a unique benefit to soccer. every sport when done correctly is physically demanding, and the exact same thing is true for football.
Different sports work athletes in different ways, and just because soccer players run in an given game more than football players, does not mean that it's more physically demanding. In you certainly don't see to 2 300lb men trying to throw the other down to the turf with all their might in soccer, yet that doesn't mean soccer is any less physically demanding. The fact is, that football players bodies are built differently than soccer players bodies. Soccer focuses nearly solely on endurance, whereas football focuses on multiple physical aspects (Endurance, strength, speed, problem solving, etc.). Where running the only thing that mattered then marathon runners, with such hefty athletes as middle aged men, housewives, and 400 lb sumo wrestlers[1] would be better athletes than David Beckham.
However football is also incredibly physically demanding. Whether the player is [2]tearing apart their body during training with Gut Busters, 50 40's, 2-a-days, and heavy weight lifting; or they're adhering to [3]strict diets and merciless training regimes. Football players push their bodies to the limit, so that they can perform at their absolute best.
In fact there are more than three times as many injuries from playing [4]football than there are from playing soccer. because the sport is so incredibly physically demanding.

+ Practice-
First I'm extending the points made prior concerning the exercises that football players have to perform year-round, as well as the argument concerning 2-a-days (for those who don't know 2-a-days are when players of a sport do high intensity workouts twice a day)

Most coaches even make their players practice ballet[5], (a difficult and dangerous sport in and of itself) so that they can move more gracefully and fluidly on the field.

Other than that I'll be brief here; and I'd just like to point out that not only do football players put in an obscene amount of practice as well. The amount of time football players spend practicing is especially impressive when we also realize that the football season isn't anywhere near as long as the soccer season; which can last all year.

Also to directly address my opponent's arguments in a different sense for just a moment, putting time into something you love doing doesn't make it any more remarkable than another sport. Hobbyist will put in hundreds of hours each month doing what they love, and many don't get any kind of recognition for it whatsoever. Joggers who jog for health reasons will put in hundreds of hours because they know how good jogging is for them. This doesn't make jogging a superior sport, it just means that the person is committed to what they're doing. And if we're going to talk commitment then there's absolutely no way to measure which sport takes more commitment.

+ Amount of stuff you have to pay attention to-
My opponent's arguments that football is such a narrow minded game is not only completely unfounded, but also completely untrue. Football is a team sport, and consequently deals with massive amounts of teamwork; so while it's true that each player has a specific job (unlike with soccer where you have runners and goalies and that's it) each player also has to watch their teammates and know exactly what's going on around them at all times.

Next can we talk about the point of play books? Football coaches and teams will spend hours upon hours calculating, and learning complex strategies and maneuvers to deploy. Also in in any successful football team the layers absolutely have to rely on each other. The end result is a mind-bendingly complex game of wit, skill, and strength.

= Conclusion =
The point I want to drive home is this; my opponent has not given us any reason whatsoever to believe that soccer is better, harder, or even that it takes more commitment. Just that it's another sport who my opponent happens to like more than football.
Whereas football is not only incredibly physically demanding, but requires tons of thought and strategy.

Ultimately, my opponent never gives you a reason to vote for him; he simply discredits a sport he doesn't like, and brags on one he do like.
For all of these reasons I urge you to vote Con in this debate.

= Sources =
[1] http://goo.gl...
[2] http://goo.gl...
[3] http://goo.gl...
[4] http://goo.gl...
[5] http://goo.gl...
DakotaWHTMN

Pro

DakotaWHTMN forfeited this round.
Hello-Orange

Con

Extend please :0
DakotaWHTMN

Pro

DakotaWHTMN forfeited this round.
Hello-Orange

Con

Vote please :)
Posted by Hello-Orange 5 years ago
Hello-Orange
D': I am teh heartbroken!
Ah well, more tatr salad for me then!
Posted by Rabid.Penguin 5 years ago
Rabid.Penguin
I dislike potato salad. Coleslaw is better.
Posted by Hello-Orange 5 years ago
Hello-Orange
I like potato salad :B
Posted by Rockylightning 5 years ago
Rockylightning
football's stupid. Soccer is a classic sport everyone can play. No knight armor required.
Posted by brian_eggleston 5 years ago
brian_eggleston
It seems strange that American football is called that when kicking the ball is a minor part of the game.

It would be better called American rugby, rugby being the game it evolved from.
Posted by Hello-Orange 5 years ago
Hello-Orange
I'm working on my response
Posted by BlackVoid 5 years ago
BlackVoid
The amount of strategy in football is ridiculous. Just making a team takes a ton of thought. I wish I could have taken this :/
Posted by unlockable 5 years ago
unlockable
soccer blows. football is awesome.
Posted by sehyunsohn 5 years ago
sehyunsohn
soccer is soo much better
Posted by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
Ore_Ele
Should point out that "serious debaters only" implies not to make the obvious semantics attack.
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
DakotaWHTMNHello-OrangeTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeits
Vote Placed by JakeBoatman96 5 years ago
JakeBoatman96
DakotaWHTMNHello-OrangeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited the last 2 rounds. Enough said.
Vote Placed by jm_notguilty 5 years ago
jm_notguilty
DakotaWHTMNHello-OrangeTied
Reasons for voting decision: PRO's case was destroyed. Not to mention he forfeited. But soccer > football forever.
Vote Placed by PartamRuhem 5 years ago
PartamRuhem
DakotaWHTMNHello-OrangeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro obviously didn't reply.....no need to even read the actual debate
Vote Placed by ApostateAbe 5 years ago
ApostateAbe
DakotaWHTMNHello-OrangeTied
Reasons for voting decision: foreit