Damien9
sakskidz

Soccer is better then hockey

Started: 5/21/2013 Category: Sports

Damien9

Pro

Soccer is better then hockey
sakskidz

Con

Here are 7 reasons why hockey is better than soccer
1. Speed: Ice hockey is just plain faster than soccer. Some of the fastest skaters in the National Hockey League can almost reach 30 miles per hour. Compare that to the fastest soccer players at about 21 miles per hour. I haven't even mentioned the speed of the puck flying at the goalies at over 100 mph. Things just happen faster on the ice than the pitch.

2. Space: There is less space on the sheet of ice than a soccer field. Part of what annoys me about soccer is that much of the game happens at midfield. It is rare to see end to end action for any length of time in a soccer game, because the field is so large. In hockey action often is back and forth with slap shots flying and clutch saves being made. Plus the ice is enclosed by the boards and plexiglass, which makes stoppages in play fewer.

3. Scoring: Ice hockey simply has more shots on goal, which leads to more scoring than soccer. In a match in the 2010 World Cup, Honduras had just two shots on goal against Switzerland who had a mighty five. Not surprisingly this game ended in a 0-0 tie. Maybe I sound like a rube when I can't see the beauty in a 0-0 soccer game, but to me it is nap inducing. Now 0-0 games do happen in hockey, but at least the goalie had to break a sweat and make, at the very least, 15 saves.

4. Acting: Even the most ardent soccer fans have to admit that the guys that play the game are just plain bad actors. A guy barely gets touched and he hits the turf like he has been shot. Don't worry though because he will make an amazing recovery and be at full strength as soon as the ball is back in play. There is sometimes acting in hockey when a player dives, but a guy will only do that so much because he knows he will pay for it later. See number 5.

5. Fighting: Although it isn't my favorite part of hockey it has it's place. It is the way that hockey teams police one another. Referees can't catch everything that happens on the ice, but the players often do. Spear one of my guys and the ref misses it, you can be sure that you will be dropping the gloves with my team's goon. It is a kind of justice that works. Most of the fighting in soccer takes place in the stands between drunken hooligans, which have been a black eye on the beautiful game for a long time.

6. Time: Stoppage time in soccer is one of the oddest things to me about the game. Why in the world can't the clock be stopped when there is a break in the action? Instead we get an amount of time that is added on to the clock, before the final whistle blows. No one, except the referee, seems to know exactly how much time is left. When the clock hits 0.0 in hockey the game is over. This way everyone, including the fans, knows when the game will end.

7. Checking: I have saved the best reason for last, lots of contact. Checking is the biggest difference between hockey and soccer. There is something enjoyable about seeing a guy get legally crunched into the boards. In hockey you can't just finesse your way through the game. In soccer there is contact, but not enough for my liking. It could be that I an just a simple ugly American that likes to watch full contact sports, but if the choice is soccer or hockey, hockey wins every time.
Damien9

Pro

Damien9 forfeited this round.
sakskidz

Con

I don't know how to respond To a forfeit
Damien9

Pro

Damien9 forfeited this round.
sakskidz

Con

Yeah respond
Posted by pensfan 3 years ago
pensfan
if I would of found this sooner I would of voted for con. Hockey Is way better then soccer.