Cameron16
130075

Soccer is the best sport in the world

Cameron16
Started: 10/25/2015 Category: Sports

Cameron16

Pro

I'm sure this has been a debate that has gone on many times before but here it goes again. Is soccer the greatest sport in the world? I will be arguing that it is the greatest sport but whoever accepts this debate will be arguing that it is not.
Debate setup:
Round 1: Acceptance. If you would like to accept this debate then in the first round response just put an "I accept this challenge" and the debate will begin after that

Rounds 2-4: The actual debate. These rounds will be the actual debate. Not much more to it than that.

Let's start and good luck to my opponent.
130075

Con

I accept this challenge.
Cameron16

Pro

Why soccer is the greatest sport in the world.

A1: It's a global sport. Soccer (football) is the sport played most consistently around the world. It's not sectioned off or dominated by one particular country. According to FIFA's Big Count survey, there are 265 million players actively involved in soccer around the world, roughly 4 percent of the world's population. Sports like American football however, are predominantly played and watched by only one country.
http://www.fifa.com...

A2: The rules are pretty simple. Give or take a few offsides, free kicks, and yellow cards vs. red cards. The main objective is to score. That's it. Score and try not to let the opponent score on you. Put the ball by the goalkeeper who also has pretty simple rules to follow too. Don't let the other team score. What could be easier to understand than that?

A3: Minimal equipment is required. No really, set up some cones and have a ball and you're good to go. Meaning you can play anywhere at any time.

A4: Size is not a big factor. Soccer may be the professional sport where size matters the least. Some of the world's best players like Messi, Maradona, and Romario have an average height of 5'5 or 5'6.

A5: You need to be in incredible shape to keep up. You're basically running up and down the field for 90+ minutes, especially if you're a midfielder. This is no game for anyone who tires easily.

A6: Soccer has no offseason. For the best players in the world, there's a league season, league cup(s), a club championship, and international games going on all at once. If that's not enough, almost every summer there's an international cup or competition, not to mention friendliest and World Cup qualifiers. Which brings up my next point.

A7: "The World Cup shouldn't be called a World Cup if not every country competes." Every country does compete. Maybe not in the final tournament, but in the beginning, almost every country that you can think of is competing for a place in the final tournament. From Argentina to San Marino. The reason they don't have a giant tournament for every country to compete in is because that would take FOREVER to complete. It takes about a month for 32 teams to finish 3 group stage matches, the round of 16, quarter-finals, semi-finals, 3rd place match, and a final. Could you imagine a tournament with 208 teams. Not only would the tournament take forever to complete but it would also be unfair and the powerhouses would be in the final stages anyways. You wouldn't want to watch a game like Brazil vs. Somalia for a World Cup group stage match. Brazil would win by so much that it's just embarrassing. Also the World Cup is a great reason to party. The FIFA World Cup is the most widely viewed sporting event in the world. Around 715 million people watched the World Cup final match in 2006 between France and Italy. The 2010 World Cup was broadcasted in 204 different countries on 245 different channels.

A8: International friendlies are a great way for fans to watch the top teams go up against each other without spending a fortune for World Cup tickets. A friendly is exactly what it sounds like: two teams playing for fun. These games cost a significant amount less than World Cup tickets which is good for fans.

A9: It's just beautiful to watch. Especially when players pull off the most incredible tricks. Bicycle kicks, Rabona goals, step overs, roulettes, 35-yard free kick screamers. So much to look out for in this game. So many ways to score goals and get past your opponent.

A10: The chants that us fans make at games. If you've ever watched a soccer game on TV or been to a soccer game in person. You'll know that the fans make so much noise. Chanting for their teams. Singing songs to get their team pumped up. It's just so loud and a beautiful amount of noise, except for the vuvuzelas. Those just sounded like a bunch of bees. Nevertheless, even with the vuvuzelas, every fan in the stadium had one and blew them for their favorite team. Singing or instruments you can always find a bunch of passionate fans making noise for their favorite team.
130075

Con

130075 forfeited this round.
Cameron16

Pro

Well then, guess he never responded.....Vote for pro if you think I won
130075

Con

130075 forfeited this round.
Cameron16

Pro

While I will concede that all you need to have to run is have shoes (sometimes you don't even need shoes). I still believe that soccer is the better sport than running. It depends on the aspects you're looking at. A distance runner to a soccer player in an endurance battle, the marathon runner will always win that race. In a sprint race, probably a soccer player. Same thing applies for short distance runners. In a sprint race then the short distance runner will win but in an endurance race, the soccer player will win.
There is also a great deal of research that says running a full 90+ minute soccer game is the equivalent of running 6-13.5 miles. Now for a distance runner that may not seem too impressive but the type of physical activity and thinking about the next moves that will happen in the game is what adds difficulty to the sport.
Soccer players range between walking, jogging, and sprinting. Research shows that 2/3 of the distance is done by walking or jogging. Which leaves the other 1/3 distance to be done by sprinting. It is during these high activity periods that soccer players' heart rates get up to 90% efficiency, a level that joggers never come close to reaching.
Your sport also has no physical contact. (not saying that doesn't make it a sport I'm just saying it's easier to compete in a sport where you don't have to go in a one on one physical battle for an object.) But physical contact makes sports a lot harder. I know how it feels to be exhausted after running a marathon and a short sprint and a full 90 minute soccer game. At the end of the soccer game I felt worse. The reason why is because we change our momentum so much within 90 minutes, however in a marathon you stay at the same pace until you reach the finish line.
Soccer is a combination of running, jogging, walking, kicking, getting hit by someone like you who's well prepared and have the same incentives that you have in mind. For the worst of all that, it's a mind killer. What I meant mind killer is? Are there anyone on Earth who can write a good prose while running simultaneously. The answer is definitely no, and soccer is just like that. You have an audience, game strategies to carry, partners to work with and opponents to read in mind, all that in short period.
I really did enjoy this debate and I would like to thank Con for taking me on in this debate. To see his side of this debate go in the comments because he was busy with school and forgot to respond. Which is completely understandable. Anyways thanks again to Con and have a great rest of the day to anyone who's reading this debate
130075

Con

130075 forfeited this round.
Posted by 130075 1 year ago
130075
Oh crap sorry I was busy with school. Well I would have said that the best sport is not soccer, but running because you don't need any equipment to do it except for shoes. Also, height/size doesn't matter (many of the greatest runners in history were around 5.5 feet, including Gebrselassie, Bekele, and others). Running is one of the only sports where you get what you put in. The only way to become great is by training hard and putting in the mileage. In addition, after having played both soccer and running at a very competitive level (junior Olympics and regionals), I must say that running instills more character, namely the character of willpower and not giving in despite the circumstances. Running builds concentration as well. Finally, more people in the world run than play soccer. Heck, most sports involve running. Soccer players sometimes take up track or xc to stay in shape for soccer. Running is the greatest sport in the world.
Posted by 130075 1 year ago
130075
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
Cameron16130075Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture