A_Good_Name
Schuman8rr

Soccer is the best sport

Schuman8rr
Started: 5/19/2015 Category: Sports

A_Good_Name

Pro

Soccer/football is the best sport. The passion of the fans, the excitement of the game and the billions of people that enjoy playing the sport. Playing soccer/football takes no effort to organize, you don't need skates, or roller blades, you don't need a hoop and you don't need anything else except a ball which can be bought or made as they are in Africa. See how much passion people have in this sport. There are thousands of leagues, compared to all them sports in America where there is only 1 league for each sport. I know that a lot of people say it's not a sport because we don't hit each other. Honestly in my opinion this is just a cheap complaint, last time I checked basketball was a no contact sport, and in baseball I don't see them whacking each other with bats. To conclude if someone thinks that soccer/football is not the best sport in the world then please debate.
Schuman8rr

Con

Thank you Pro for starting this interesting debate.

I assume we are sharing the BOP as you said in your last sentence that I should bring up a sport that is better than soccer. I will be arguing that debate is the best sport and should be more popular in other countries.

I would like to start by defining a few things.

http://www.merriam-webster.com...
http://www.merriam-webster.com...

This definition says that sport is an act that involves physical exertion and competition against others. Debate has both of these qualities as does soccer. The definition of best is to be above all others. The way I interpret this is in this debate is which sport will have better qualities that will help in regular life.

C1: Debate helps people organize their thoughts and think logically

In order to properly debate someone, you must have your thoughts organized in a way that is going to make a third party see your side of the issue. A person must think logically in order to come up with a way to portray their case. This act takes mental effort which in the long run is more beneficial to the average person than soccer. A normal individual, not a pro, would not play soccer outside of using it as a hobby. The same for debate, but debate will have lasting effects on you if you do it regularly. Always seeing the world in the way that debate taught you to see it will help you your entire life.

C2: Debate strengthens a person's thought of independence

In order to participate in debate, you will often need to take a stance on a controversial issue. For this to happen, you must educate yourself to form a logically based opinion on the subject. The act of educating yourself and forming your own beliefs will strengthen an individuals sense of independence. This would be a lifelong skill that could benefit any person.

Now that my contentions have been made I will refute your previous statements.

"The passion of the fans, the excitement of the game and the billions of people that enjoy playing the sport."

First off, about 240 million people play soccer, not billions. Second, soccer is not the only sport to have exciting qualities. Debate can be just as exciting for it's viewers though it may not be as popular.

"Playing soccer/football takes no effort to organize, you don't need skates, or roller blades, you don't need a hoop and you don't need anything else except a ball which can be bought or made as they are in Africa."

It takes no effort to organize a debate either, you simply need 2 people arguing for opposing sides of a topic. People have debates all the time, usually it is not organized and is not set up to be a debate but it does happen. People debate each other on all types of levels thought it may not be formal.

" See how much passion people have in this sport."

People like me are just as passionate about debate as some are for soccer.

"There are thousands of leagues, compared to all them sports in America where there is only 1 league for each sport"

This statement is irrelevant, it does not prove that your sport is better, it simply states that there are more leagues.

"I know that a lot of people say it's not a sport because we don't hit each other. Honestly in my opinion this is just a cheap complaint, last time I checked basketball was a no contact sport, and in baseball I don't see them whacking each other with bats."

By my definition I think we can both agree that debate and soccer are both sports. Especially if you bring up the fact that there is no contact.

I await pro's response.

http://www.athleticscholarships.net...
A_Good_Name

Pro

A_Good_Name forfeited this round.
Schuman8rr

Con

Pro has forfeited a round. I extend my arguments.
A_Good_Name

Pro

A_Good_Name forfeited this round.
Schuman8rr

Con

I extend my arguments for the second time.
A_Good_Name

Pro

A_Good_Name forfeited this round.
Schuman8rr

Con

It's a real shame we couldn't have a real debate.
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Midnight1131
A_Good_NameSchuman8rrTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeits, so conduct to Con. And Con was the only one to use sources.