pmaloney46
emospongebob527

Soccer will overtake baseball in popularity in the USA in the next 25 years.

pmaloney46
Started: 11/15/2012 Category: Sports

pmaloney46

Pro

In the year 2037, soccer will be more popular baseball in the United States. The term "popular" refers to which sport draws more media attention and brings in more revenue.

Soccer is on the rise in the USA, and it was recently pronounced the second most popular sport among 12-24 year-olds in the USA (1). ESPN and NBC Sports Network have inked deals with the MLS to broadcast more games, and European matches are becoming a fixture on ESPN and Fox. Events like the World Cup and UEFA Champions League draw more media coverage than ever, and star players are becoming more recognizable in the USA. EA Sports' FIFA video game franchise is rapidly becoming one of the most popular sports video games year in and year out, which is helping spread awareness for professional soccer in the US youth. Soccer is also one of the most popular and accessible youth sports in the US.

Baseball, on the other hand, is in sharp decline. Attendance has been down for most MLB teams, and youth participation has declined by approximately 25% (2). Baseball is a dying sport that will soon be overtaken by soccer.

(1) http://soccernet.espn.go.com...

(2) http://online.wsj.com...
emospongebob527

Con

All of my opponent's arguments are invalid until he can prove that he can predict the future, I anxiously await for him to prove he can predict the future.
pmaloney46

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting the debate. However, it seems he has chosen to open with a red herring. I concede that I cannot predict the future, but that is not the focus of this debate. I will remind my opponent that we are debating whether or not soccer can overtake baseball in popularity in the United States in the next generation. We can use current societal trends and data to make educated projections on how likely this scenario is. This is not an impossible task, as most businesses do this every day. That is what we will be doing in this debate. I have posted some trends in younger demographics that I believe support my argument for soccer overtaking baseball. My opponent chose not to refute any of my reasonings, nor did he offer any argumentation for why soccer will not be able to overtake baseball. I would like to offer my opponent the chance to start his argument against soccer in the round. I look forward to seeing his reasoning.
emospongebob527

Con

My opponent has not fulfilled his BOP nor has he addressed my objection, his resolution entails that it is definite, not that it is likely or probable, I await.
pmaloney46

Pro

My opponent has again chosen not to engage the topic of baseball vs. soccer. The fact that he is now playing semantics forces me to assume that he is unable to post any relevant arguments as to how baseball may be able to remain more popular than soccer. I hope that my opponent will present his arguments in this final round, but if he chooses not to, I apologize to anyone who came to this page looking for an interesting debate on this topic. We shall let the voters decide.
emospongebob527

Con

My opponent's prescription that I am playing semantics is correct, but don't blame me, his abusive resolution has forced me to object to his case.

His resolution states; Soccer will overtake baseball in popularity in the USA in the next 25 years.

Via his resolution his argument cannot come forth as logical, since the burden was on him to prove that will overcome baseball, can only by reconciled on the premise that my opponent can predict the future, which he never reiterated on.

I think it is only fair to subject a different resolution my opponent could have taken;

"It is likely that soccer will overtake baseball in popularity in the USA in the next 25 years."

"Soccer will probably overtake baseball in popularity in the USA in the next 25 years."

"It is probable that soccer will overtake baseball in popularity in the USA in the next 25 years."

And from his argument it is likely that this was the entailment, but I had to stick to the resolution he put forth and he never proved he can predict the future.

Good day.
Posted by deever 3 years ago
deever
Baseball is not going to die, not ever. It is too deeply rooted and has a long history. By the way, nobody likes soccer.
Posted by pdog 4 years ago
pdog
"GO Baseball"
Nobody will like soccer more then base ball its a proven fact. don't ask me where it just is.
Posted by emospongebob527 4 years ago
emospongebob527
"Go Soccer!

Baseball's time is to die; it has been popular for the last ~70 years."

False.
Posted by JohnnyBro 4 years ago
JohnnyBro
Go Soccer!

Baseball's time is to die; it has been popular for the last ~70 years.
Vote Placed by Thaddeus 4 years ago
Thaddeus
pmaloney46emospongebob527Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Whilst it is true that pro set himself a high BoP (he had to prove certainty), just saying nothing is certain is not an argument. It would have only taken one example (eg. America could be wiped out by baseball playing turtles) to show that it wasn't certain, but no such argument was given.
Vote Placed by baseballkid 4 years ago
baseballkid
pmaloney46emospongebob527Tied
Reasons for voting decision: the pro did not meet the BOP because he conceded that he could not predict the future.
Vote Placed by MochaShakaKhan 4 years ago
MochaShakaKhan
pmaloney46emospongebob527Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con calls the resolution "abusive" and he, therefore, had to resort to semantics. That doesn't jive with me. You took the debate voluntarily, so you have no right to complain about it. To me, this looks like you realized too little too late that you couldn't mount an effective counter argument to pro's case, so now you're scrambling to come up with an excuse to cheat a win here.