dayawjmsc2015
Curran2015

Social Media: Helpful to Society?

Started: 3/17/2015 Category: Technology

dayawjmsc2015

Pro

With the launch of AIM (AOL Instant Messaging) in 1997, society was able to communicate with one another in the matter of moments. With the launch of Myspace and Facebook in 2003 and 2004, people were able to connect with people from their past, and connect to them with large amounts of sums of distances between them. Within other social media sites such as Twitter, Instagram, Vine, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Flickr, and other sites, people have the ability to comment with their former friends, classmates, and to essentially make new friends.
Curran2015

Con

Social media is the main place for venting in modern society. With the inability to prove ones identity online, the exploitation of these websites and programs is rampant. These sites are not helpful to society because they tear down others on a day to day basis. It is becoming more and more common to hear stories of how some kid was being bullied online, or how kids lives are destroyed by some dumb thing they decided to post. I believe that social media should require stricter access requirements so people can be personally held responsible for their actions online.
dayawjmsc2015

Pro

Thank you, I do agree that it is a good resource for venting ones feelings. Yes I do agree that it could be stricter but that is not the point I was bringing up, instead I was presenting that it was a good resource for people in today's society. To counteract the point on bullying, I believe that the destruction happens because kids are immature and can't handle the resource presented to them. Children tend to overlook the real purposes are tools given to them. Bullying does not only occur on social media, a majority of bullying occurs in schools rather then social media. If you see bullying as the issue then you must not try to take the fight to social media but the schools where the bullying begins.
Curran2015

Con

Curran2015 forfeited this round.
dayawjmsc2015

Pro

dayawjmsc2015 forfeited this round.
Curran2015

Con

Curran2015 forfeited this round.
dayawjmsc2015

Pro

dayawjmsc2015 forfeited this round.
Curran2015

Con

Curran2015 forfeited this round.
dayawjmsc2015

Pro

dayawjmsc2015 forfeited this round.
Curran2015

Con

Curran2015 forfeited this round.
Posted by Cohenmsc2015 2 years ago
Cohenmsc2015
I have to agree with the pro argument because like they said social media is a great way to stay in touch with old friends. However I don't think the reason that kids are getting cyber bullied is because they are immature but rather that it is easier to insult someone when you aren't face to face with them.
Posted by DayawKmsc2015 2 years ago
DayawKmsc2015
No but in all honesty, I find social media to be a very helpful thing. I view it as a way to connect with others and to seek more information through the free internet. I agree that sometimes social media is used as a disguise to hate or bully on others but without the internet we would not have access to such a vast amount of resources.
Posted by DayawKmsc2015 2 years ago
DayawKmsc2015
this con guy just agreed though
Posted by Creepy_Guy_69 2 years ago
Creepy_Guy_69
what is with this pro guy...
Posted by DayawKmsc2015 2 years ago
DayawKmsc2015
people love to vent on tumblr.