juli.marie00
DNehlsen

Social Media helps teenagers.

DNehlsen

juli.marie00

Con

I believe that social media is bad because it makes teens feel pressured to put their best self forward (when they should be accepted for who they are) and it makes it harder for them to accept their true less-than-perfect self.
DNehlsen

Pro

I accept this debate and look forward to a positive discussion. Best of luck to my opponent.
juli.marie00

Con

I see it as a way to demoralize teenagers. We should encourage them to have actual human contact. We can't do that if all we use are cell phones and computers. Besides, it's easier to get away with bullying. Only 20 states have laws against cyberbullying. 1 in 5 cases of cyberbullying are reported. I've been one of the 4 who didn't report it. Teens post pictures of good scores on tests, or family trips when they put blood, sweat, and tears in to make it happen. It makes people feel isolated if they have a dysfunctional family.
DNehlsen

Pro

I'd like to open by looking at my opponents case sentence by sentence.

I see it as a way to demoralize teenagers.
This is true in some circumstances, but it's also true of everything. Everything can be used for good or bad. Both some of the greatest good and bad has been done in the name of religion. America is one of, if not the, best countries in the world. That doesn't mean it hasn't had its' fair share of terrible deeds and decisions. The fact of the matter is, however, that this is not the only or even primary use of social media.

We should encourage them to have actual human contact. We can't do that if all we use are cell phones and computers.
Texting and Social Media is human contact. We can talk to friends in other cities or even in our home town that we ordinarily wouldn't be able to communicate with. I have friends from parts of Europe and Asia that I can't see in person anymore. Social Media opens a huge door for being able to communicate with other humans in every kind of situation. We have never had a more social generation.

Take for example. The average person has about 200 friends on facebook. (1) These are 200 people who are constantly updated on what you've been doing recently, and are just a click-of-a-button away from instant communication. I don't know about you, but if you take out social media, I only end up seeing a couple of those 200 people every day. Social gatherings and conversations have never been so close.

Besides, it's easier to get away with bullying. Only 20 states have laws against cyberbullying.
Cyberbullying never really made sense to me to be honest. The vast majority of individuals have no obligation, legally or otherwise, to be on social media. People are on social media because they want to be. If you're getting bullied online, you can just log off.

I've heard it said before that people can spread rumors of individuals online, so logging off doesn't cut it. Well people can spread rumors in real life too. Social Media simply makes it more convenient.

Children need to grow up. If one cannot handle being bullied, he should not be on social media, or even the internet for that matter, in the first place. We have limitless knowledge and information at the tip of our fingers, yet we'd rather spend more time complaining that some people are mean to us than use this ability the internet gives to us. I can't say anything to this kind of attitude but grow up or leave.

1 in 5 cases of cyberbullying are reported. I've been one of the 4 who didn't report it.
Could you please provide a citation for this? I understand how we know when cyberbullying is reported, but how do we know about the ones we don't know about?

Also, assuming these numbers are in any way accurate, this 'cyberbullying' clearly wasn't too bad if 4/5 people didn't feel the need to seek help or complain about it. I understand people don't always verbalize everything they want, but this is no ones fault but their own, now isn't it?

Teens post pictures of good scores on tests, or family trips when they put blood, sweat, and tears in to make it happen...

This is a good thing. We should encourage people to appreciate their successes and opportunities. If someone has a good family, good for them. That's one more thing they have going for them! That's exciting.

It makes people feel isolated if they have a dysfunctional family...
Should we also hide the fact that people with good grades exist to protect the feelings of those with bad grades? Should we also hide the fact that rich people exist to protect the feelings of those from poor families? Should we also hide the fact that certain nations a better than others to protect the feelings of those from less fortunate countries? Of course not. This is reality. Just because someone doesn't have something, we shouldn't hide the people who do.

I grew up in a dysfunctional family, but that didn't mean I got offended by people with good families. In reality I got excited for these people who were more fortunate than I. Everyone has their differences, and that's nothing to be afraid of.

1 - http://bigthink.com...
juli.marie00

Con

It's hard to connect with someone if you don't see a face. Even with 200 friends on Facebook, how many of them do you talk to on a daily basis and actually spend time with? So in reality, you have 200 acquaintances. I have 157, and to be completely honest? I hardly talk to any of them. If I have something to say, I say it in person. And it's hard to bond with someone through a computer screen. You don't get the same effect.

Social media might not be intended for it, but it's still something that happens. And as for logging off? It doesn't make it disappear. If you're in high school and have classmates on your friendlist, you won't escape it. People always bring it up. And you agree. Social media makes rumors and gossip worse. However, if people knew how to act online, the victims wouldn't have to log off in the first place.

https://nobullying.com...

Every teenager has scrolled through their feed jealous of a girl who is rather thin and pretty or a guy who has an awesome job and vehicle with a pretty girlfriend. It's second nature. Yeah, it's good for the person posting it, but someone will always feel insufficient to that person.

I'm not saying to be ashamed of good grades, wealth, or nationality. I'm just saying. You may have been excited for them, but not everyone's brain is wired that way. Some people have more going on than they care to show.
DNehlsen

Pro

Everything you've just said here is subjective. I may not talk to each individually, but I send updates such as what school I'm attending, where I'm going in life, and big events that happen. This saves the time of retelling the same story to everyone who asks. But you wouldn't have to be retelling it too much anyways, because without social media most would never hear from 2/3 of their friends list.

If you don't talk to any of your social media friends whose doing is that? You've essentially ignored half of the entire function of social media, then complain that it isn't working for you. That makes sense.

Bonding over a computer is harder than bonding in real life, for most, but it's easier than not bonding at all. As I mentioned before, a solid 50% of my friends list isn't even from America, and another 30% probably isn't even from the same state. I couldn't tell you if this is true for everyone, but I guarentee you nearly everyone has family away from home. It's simply impossible to talk to everyone in person.

No, logging off does make it go away. There may still be some symptoms, but if it's carried into the class room do you know what that is? Real Life bullying. Just because it started online, that does not mean it's still cyber by the time you're being slammed against a locker. You can always cut out the cyber part if it's too much for you, and if it becomes anything more than that it's no longer cyberbullying.

Couple of notes on this source.

1) According to this study, 2/5 cases are reported to someone, 1/5 are reported to authorities, and 1/10 are reported to parents. How do we know about the ones we don't know about?

2) So what? Cyberbullying is not the issue, it's a symptom. I still doubt that it should matter to any logical human, but even if it does it's simply an extension of regular bullying. Just because it's easier doesn't mean it's the devil incarnite. Even if these individuals are bullied more often, so what? Shitty people have shitty opinions, welcome to Earth! Are we going to pretend as if those people don't have bad things to say about you simply because they're unable to say it? If you can't handle the fact that people have opinions, get off the internet. Anything beyond that is no longer cyberbullying and is therefore irrelevant to this discussion.

If people saying words to you made you commit suicide...you should probably kill yourself. I say that in jest, but it captures a very real picture of the sensitivity and utter weak nature of individuals.

Since when do we accomodate jealousy? Jealousy is a sin or brings upon bad results in life based upon every religion I've ever studied. Jealousy is seen socially as disgusting today. I don't think anyone in the world thinks we should reward jealousy. If you've got diva-syndrome, that's no one's doing but your own and in no way should it be encouraged.

To the individual who gets offended by seeing a hot guy with a job, car, and vehicle, get over yourself. Is that how pathetic you are? Seeing people well off in life makes you fall apart? Why do you have no self respect? Aren't you better than that by nature of being a human?

I'm an academic. I couldn't play a sport to save my life. I have never once been offended by people sharing their physical success, or anything of the like. In many cases it has encouraged me to better myself, but it has never offended me. If you get offended by the fact that some people have good grades and have life going for them, what the hell is wrong with you?

Like seriously, this is the most first world issue ever. Go visit South America, or most parts of Africa. Their number one issue is getting food for the day and surviving. They couldn't care less about what people thought of them. This 'someone said a mean word to me I'm going to kill myself' is completely modern. We've never had such a petty and needy generation, because they've been given so much already and simply don't realise it or don't care.

I would also like to point out the irony that my opponents avatar is a picture of a girl, I presume herself, over snapchat. The very things my opponent is trying to argue is bad. Perhaps the reason you perceive Social Media as bad is because you're so wrapped up in in it, yet it's not giving you the same results you want or may see others getting out of it. Just a thought.
juli.marie00

Con

Okay? So those people stay updated. But how many have you met? I know several people who add friends just because they're cute or their pictures are good. It's too easy to hide behind a screen. And you just proved my point. If they wouldn't talk to you if it weren't for social media, then they aren't a friend. It's called knowing who will really be there for you.

What if social media could prevent that kid from getting slammed into a locker. Plus, you still get notifications if you log off. Whether by email, or text.

The cases that aren't reported? That's the thing. We don't know. Who says they didn't get manic depression from being put down. If you hear something enough, you believe it. And if they have been through trauma that lowered their self esteem, they may not be able to help if it gets to them. But they shouldn't be the one who has to log off because of someone else's stupidity. There's a thing called the terms and agreements that you have to agree to. If you break that, the victim shouldn't be the one punished.

I understand you're a Christian. You believe in some things others don't. Others may not see jealousy as anything bad. But even if you are a religious person, flesh has a tendency to win sometimes. (Flesh being human nature) We don't know what's going on in the person's head who sees said hot guy with a job, car, and girlfriend.

Said avatar is an old picture from when I was like...15? I'm not "wrapped up" in it. I haven't been on it in 9months. This is the closest thing to social media I've been on since January.
DNehlsen

Pro

Okay? So those people stay updated. But how many have you met?
I have personally met nearly everyone in my friends list. Those I have not met personally I've had extended relationships with over the internet.

I know several people who add friends just because they're cute or their pictures are good.
Cool. I know a guy who ate poop. Doesn't make it right, normal, or expected.

And you just proved my point. If they wouldn't talk to you if it weren't for social media, then they aren't a friend. It's called knowing who will really be there for you.
You ignore my example of out of state/country friends and relatives you get to see perhaps twice a year. A relationship cannot be built if it only gets connected twice a year. It can form, however, if there is constant communication with an annual visit as the peak of the relationship.

I don't know what kind of situation you have in mind, but I'm certainly not talking about anything tramatic. I don't expect someone who doesn't live in the same state as me to come visit every week or every month. I don't expect someone who isn't from America to come to my wedding either. This doesn't mean I'm not friends with these people, it means I understand there is an unfortunate distance between us. Social Media bridges this distance.

Perhaps in a certain circumstance physical bullying is a result of cyber activity. We're still trying to treat the symptom and not the issue though. Bullying happens, and we can't say anything that might be used to facilitate it is automatically bad.

You do not need to be on Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram or any social media platform. There is no necessity for you to have these accounts. These are optional items for individuals. Even if you do decide to create an account on said platform, you can still manage how you receive notifications. I have Facebook notifications turned off on all of my devices because I don't like getting a beep every so often. You can do the same thing for different reasons.

The cases that aren't reported? That's the thing. We don't know. Who says they didn't get manic depression from being put down.
How do we know they just didn't care and brushed it off like a normal human being? There are many things these people could have done to prevent further harm if social media was truely bothering them.

If you hear something enough, you believe it.
Depends on where it came from. If an incredible source tells you something again and again you don't suddenly start believing them. You recognize them as snake oil salesmen, and you recognize what their telling you as false. Words only have the power you give them. If you deem the source or even the meaning of said words useless, then they are just that...useless.

But they shouldn't be the one who has to log off because of someone else's stupidity.
Depends on what we're talking about. If someone calls me fat and I get offended whose fault is that? What if I really am fat? Does the fact that it's a mean implication mean that it can't be stated? By what objective standard do we determine what is acceptable and what is not?

Regardless, if someone can't handle being called fat, they should be the one to log off. If you can't handle the internet, don't use it. The Internet isn't real life, and people need to recognize and accept that.

There's a phenomenon in economics known as supply and demand. Basically, something that has more supply will never be as valuable as something that has less supply. Let's assume the 'demand' for bullying is consistent across all platforms. If bullying is easier to perform online, it is therefore less effective. If bullying is harder to perform in real life, it is therefore more effective. If you do not grasp this basic fact, and treat all bullying the same, then the internet is not the place for you. Period.

There's a thing called the terms and agreements that you have to agree to. If you break that, the victim shouldn't be the one punished.
This comes down to each platform's individual standard on cyberbullying. If a platform deems it appropriate to deal with matters themselves, that is for them to decide.

I understand you're a Christian. You believe in some things others don't. Others may not see jealousy as anything bad.
My point had nothing to do with my religion. I was stating that from every perspective imaginable jealousy is a bad thing, at least on a human level. I don't know anyone who would tell you otherwise. Jealousy is nothing to reward or to pander to.

We don't know what's going on in the person's head who sees said hot guy with a job, car, and girlfriend.

What's your point? If he's jealous of it that makes him a jealous person. No one likes jealousy, and there is no reason to pander to someone's jealous desires. They just need to get over themselves.
juli.marie00

Con

Just because you have met nearly everyone, doesn't mean everyone has. It's still a very dangerous platform. People could pose as said friends. I, myself, have encountered several false profiles.

It's not justified. But it happens. There are people who only care about looks. It could put them in dangerous positions. I mean...for crying out loud. My mom and I moved from Arkansas to Florida for her boyfriend. (who turned out to be fake...go figure)

People can still be there for you and be in a different state. My best friend lives in Missouri and I saved her life from my frigging bedroom. And it's still a possibility. Everyone has been through trials in life. Some are more successful than others. But it still affects people, whether positive or negative.

I'm not saying I'm gonna fly people from Australia to my wedding either. Believe me...But it wouldn't kill for you to know that they support you. (Again, I saved my best friend's life from my bedroom...!) You don't have to live in the same state to support you.

Some people use social media as a way to manage business, so it may not be that easy. But yes you can control certain notifications. I will admit that much...

So, if your parents tell you everyday that you're an amazing singer or artist, you won't believe them? Words can only roll off for so long. If you hear it from 5 people a day, everyday, you're gonna start to think, "Oh hey, maybe this is true.." One thing leads to another, and next thing you know, they're convinced of it.

I stand by the point that if you don't instigate it, you shouldn't have to log off. It's not your fault. The victim shouldn't be isolated because some jerk decided to talk crap or start a rumor.

The platforms are made for keeping in touch. Not circulating rumors or inappropriate pictures/comments. NEWSFLASH: It happens! Some people just don't care if they get into trouble. All they care about is making themselves feel superior.

Your point kind of does relate to religion. 10th commandment: You shall not covet. Correct me if I'm wrong? Jealousy isn't a 'bad thing.' It's human nature. Even the most innocent children get jealous. The most mature adults slip up and get jealous. It happens to everyone.

If he's jealous, it makes him human. It's awfully hypocritical to say no one likes jealousy when IT HAPPENS. But...if it doesn't happen to you, then what would you do if you saw your girlfriend with another guy? Get mad? Anger is a sin.
DNehlsen

Pro

The exception is not the norm. If you fall for someone posing as someone else you either didn't know them well enough to spot it in the first place or you just flat out deserved it. I fail to see how this is terribly relevant though.

So what's the problem? Some people act a certain way, and some people make bad decisions. This is user error, not by fault of the platform.

I agree, and social media is by far the most user friendly way to speak to those people. You can't text with those outside of the country, and it's a whole lot more bland than a lot of the options presented to us by social media. Your 'people need to be there for you' argument is of your own invention, and I don't see how it's even relevant to either side. Social Media is just another good tool to stay in touch.

Some people use social media as a way to manage business, so it may not be that easy.
Yet another positive use for social media, which is relevant for everyone. If you say that teens do not manage business then this comment does not apply to teens and thus the debate. If you say that teens can be involved in business this statement helps my point more than yours.

Regardless, if you're in business but are freaking out over cyberbullying, perhaps the business world is not fit for you.

Again words only have as much value as the person they come from and the power you give them. If you don't respect your parents opinion you won't care. My parents have been talking crap about me for years, and I have yet to suffer any issues as a result. You just stop caring what they say and you're golden.

I think you've lost your script. You're trying to debate why teens shouldn't be on social media in the first place because it can be damaging. Now your resolution is no-one should have to be isolated from social media. Interesting position.

I agree that it shouldn't happen, but it does. Just as it's the responsibility of the homeowner to lock his doors, it is the responsibility of the vulnerable to watch out. If you don't have thick skin you will need to make accomodations.

Yep...I agree. People do bad things. That's why people need to take precautions. If you can't handle it that's fine, but don't make the 90% who feel no need to even talk about this 'cyberbullying' lose for it.

Your point kind of does relate to religion. 10th commandment: You shall not covet. Correct me if I'm wrong?
My comment had nothing to do with Christianity in particular. Every single Abrahamic religion and most of the Vedic religions view jealously as a negative trait.

It's human nature. Even the most innocent children get jealous. The most mature adults slip up and get jealous. It happens to everyone.
Not everything in human nature is a good thing. It's also human nature to get what one wants by whatever means necessary. This includes murder and theft. Is that a position you'd like to defend? Jealously has absolutely nothing positive to bring to the table, so there's no reason to pander to it. Especially if that jealousy is causing issues like you've brought up.

Jealousy should never be encouraged. This hypothetical guy can get over himself. He's no more valuable than anyone else, so why should he be able to censor what someone else can say because he finds it offensive? If I found my girlfriend with another guy the only anger I might have is towards myself for dating a whore and not realizing it. Anger isn't a sin by Christian doctrine, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Conclusion:
My opponent has done nothing but provide subjective opinion on the topic. The opinions expressed simply pander to the minority because they can't get over themselves since their parents never told them their opinions weren't that important. To say self-inflicted and avoidable pain of the minority should be able to dictate the natural process of the majority is simply ludacris. If you can't handle the nature of the internet get over it. It can be a wild place, but it's so much more than that. If you're getting caught up on the fact that it's a wild place, you're not prepared for everything else it has to offer.
Posted by MrBurns2017 10 months ago
MrBurns2017
People like you, juli.marie00, are the least knowledgeable and have the least problems in life..

I want to start reading some physics book because of you.
Vote Placed by jc1996 10 months ago
jc1996
juli.marie00DNehlsenTied
Reasons for voting decision: Social media helps teenagers because it is already a manifestation of freedom of expression. Social media can unite or divide the society we live in, but using for teenagers is a stepping stone towards better relations with other societies. Con downsized it further saying that it would hurt, however, social media is permanent and cannot be erased as it is recorded throughout the history. Therefore, Pro won the debate.