fumblecheeze
Moderig

Social Media is Dangerous to Our Social Culture

fumblecheeze

Pro

Social media plays a big role in our culture today and will continue to do so for years to come. However, social media has a major problem that I see. From this problem I raise the question; What is social media doing to our social interactions? Social media has started to breakdown our social abilities as humans when we have face to face encounters with people. I believe that there has been a fear development among younger generations when it comes to face to face interactions with people. Conversations with younger generation individuals have become awkward and broken. When was the last time you had a conversation with somebody where a smartphone has not been used at some point in the interaction? I feel like people have become afraid of face to face interaction. This fear has lead everybody to texting. People will text somebody that is sitting right next to them which makes no sense when you could just tell the person. Texting has become more comfortable then face to face interaction which breaks down our ability to communicate effectively and professionally. Social media threatens our social structure if we continue to abuse it and misuse it. Our ability to communicate in face to face interactions has started to lack because of social media. And this is a problem that cannot be ignored, because it threatens our social culture and will continue to do so if we don't take action!
Moderig

Con

It's fair to say that Social Media does have a few things bad here and there, but it's not the worst thing in the world. In my opinion, it has to be used in a good way. If humans learn to not abuse the system, it will be fair to use. Social Media is somewhere were people have a bad time, they can go anonymous and enjoy themselves. If you have a bad day at school, spending some time online will give you back your confidence and refill your energy- just like you how you refill a car. It's also something you can use when there's nothing else to do. Heck- I'm debating right now because the next best thing I can do is stare the wall of my room. Yes, interacting face-to-face is a better way to make friends, but don't you already talk to everyone every day at school? I can see from your view, that it's been abused by humans for generations, but there will be something a moral lesson taught one day that Social Media isn't everything in life.
fumblecheeze

Pro

So it's fair to say that we agree on the matter of humans abusing the system, and with proper discipline we can control our social media usage, and use it for a good purpose. I noticed the point that you brought up about spending time online after a bad day. You stated it was a place to go anonymously and enjoy yourself, which I can partially agree with that's why we are having this debate. But let me ask you this; Do you really think that you are anonymous online? There are so many ways that third party company's can track your computer which then leads to you. Nothing is private on the Internet once it's posted online, it's there for good! There are so many ways that people can get information on somebody just by looking at an online profile. Your statement about spending time online boosting your confidence, a face to face interaction in my opinion will boost your confidence a lot more then an online conversation. I can see your point about social media boosting somebody's confidence, I just believe that face to face interaction is much more rewarding when it comes to social confidence.
Moderig

Con

First of all, you started that any information can be found online, and that it's not anonymous. While that's partially right, as long as you control yourself and don't reveal private information, you will be safe. It's not like the second I go in the internet 20 hackers suddenly trace my IP, then leak out my name, address, and credit card number. If you don't want any third-party websites to spy on your computer, simply do not visit websites that say they're giving away something for free, or anything on those lines.

Secondly, you have stated that you will gain more confidence talking face-to-face, and again, that's somewhat correct. With social media, you can build up your confidence and ask for advice how to talk to someone. There's many websites where you can ask anonymously for advice, and that's how you build confidence up through social media to talk face-to-face.
fumblecheeze

Pro

Yes, I can agree with you that if we control what we put onto the internet we will minimize our risk of people getting our private information. I will clarify what I meant by third party companies being able to access our information. When signing up for a Microsoft account, the terms and agreements page (the one that nobody ever reads) explains that by creating an account you are allowing Microsoft to give out your information to third party companies. While this might not necessarily be a bad thing it still proves that your information is easily accessible. I know when I go onto the internet 20 hackers are not going to trace my IP address. I was simply trying to make the statement that your information online is easily accessible and we need to be aware and practice internet security. You don't have to always visit third party websites for them to get your information. Sometimes they have already gotten it from another account you signed up for elsewhere.

I can also see your point about social media being a tool to use for advice on communication. This may be a true statement however, there are also other better ways to meet people and build confidence in a face to face interaction. There are many church groups, college groups, and even community groups. These are places that you can go and meet like minded people in person and build confidence and get advice on how to communicate. We have so many other options that we are starting to take for granted because of social media. It can poison our society and feed us false information. The news is biased and is full of lies and continues to get worse. Social media can be a great addition to our society. Unfortunately, it is being abused and has become dangerous to our social culture.
Moderig

Con

Moderig forfeited this round.