feeleymsc2014
SegersMSC2014

Social Media

Started: 11/12/2013 Category: Technology

feeleymsc2014

Pro

Social media has became a defining part of this age. Take a walk through a mall, restaurant or even a park or a subway and you will see people of all ages tweeting, texting or tumbling their time away. And although social media can be an annoying and at times rude distraction I believe it holds more value than it does problems. Social media, when used correctly is a way to keep in touch with people all over the world, see what your friends are doing and find out news faster than ever before. It can and is often abused, but the basic principals which it was formed upon are still used and are much more important than the reasons to rid ourselves of it.
SegersMSC2014

Con

Although the basic use of social media is imperative to our society, abuse is also apart of the here and now. You say that social media allows us to interact with others we may not be able to see everyday, but it also allows people we don't even know to obtain information about our personal lives. The social networking website, Facebook, is a great way to keep updated on the lives of family and friends who may not be near by, but if you do not set your privacy settings anybody who has a Facebook account can access your information, family photos, your location at the time you posted a status. It is amazing in keeping connected, but is it really worth the risk of letting a stranger know everything about you and your family?
feeleymsc2014

Pro

Well yes but those settings are something you have complete control over. No one forces you to have an open profile in the same way no one forces you to have a closed one. If safety is a major concern of social media then it is a very fix. Privacy settings exist both on Facebook and Twitter to keep people safe, and can be accessed simply by clicking a button. I know that without the power of these sites I would have lost touch with some people who I hope will always be in my life to an extent. I have friends everywhere from down the street to South Africa, Sweden, Washington, Israel and more. Every time I log onto Facebook I am able to see what's going on in their lives, and how they are doing. Even just staying connected with their small, more insignificant thoughts is a great reason to continue the use of things like Twitter, which is arguably worse than Facebook as it can be more "addicting" yet it is a greater source of instant contact and can be a great news source.
SegersMSC2014

Con

Yes, while privacy setting are something you have complete control over, there are still ways to get around them especially if someone is trained in computer technology, which many people are these days. The social media of Twitter and Facebook is great for getting information out there, but how much is too much? Twitter especially, it allows people to get everyone updated on everything they do every minute of the day. And addiction to these social networks can affect a persons health. Many people never let go of their phones or computers until its time to go to bed, and even then they are still just sending out that last email, or checking on what their friends did that day. Research proves that when you stay on your phone at late hours of the night, that it impairs your ability to fall asleep. Your brain is still functioning at a high pace when you are looking a pictures or reading posts. Your brain needs time to relax after a long, busy day.
feeleymsc2014

Pro

Again though these are facts that people have complete control over, and are not hidden from us. Everyone knows that they should not do these things, so blaming social media is an unfair case. Yes they are addicting, but people just need to tell themselves they won't use their phone/computer/tablet after a certain time to allow themselves to get a good night's sleep. And while they may be the cause of some health problems, they can also help with others. If your ankle is hurting you can find exercises to make it feel better, if you want to lose that muffin top there are work outs galore (free of charge) to watch on Youtube, and eating healthier can be started by simply creating a new board on Pinterest. The world is opened up by clicking on a browser and searching a phrase on Google. Also phones are now so versatile you can use them to counter act sleeping problems and relax. i have an app on my phone called Take a Break, which is essentially listening to a Shavasana (relaxation) yoga class, and helps me calm down, de-stress and fall asleep almost instantly. The same device which causes harm to use, when used correctly and without excess can help "heal us" in a sense, as long as we use good judgement.
SegersMSC2014

Con

The abilities that phones have today are amazing, I agree with that, but it's the moderation of them. The fact that it is the peoples free will and choice is correct, but when everyone around you is doing something peer pressure becomes a factor and it is hard not to join in on all the fun everyone else seems to be having. Our world has become extremely reliant upon our phones and social networks that everything you do revolves around them. As I previously mentioned the issue of safety is extremely important in regards to social networks. Not only being able to set your privacy settings, but also different apps and websites that say certain things will be protected, how do you really know they are telling the truth? For example, a fairly new app called Snapchat is when you take pictures and send them to someone and depending on the time limit will disappear within a maximum of 10 seconds. How do you really know they disappear? Even though you can't see them anymore and the person you sent them to can't see them, they have to have gone somewhere. It is like a text message almost, even thought you delete a message it can still be found somewhere, it is never completely erased.
feeleymsc2014

Pro

Yes Snapchat is a scary type of social media for this exact reason, but safety is really not as big an issue as so many people believe it to be. Location settings can be turned off, your pictures can be set to private and you can easily decide not to post a status about how your house will be empty for the next week while you jet off to Florida. And if you are going to argue peer pressure as a reason that we obsess over our phones, then your previous point of health concerns becomes invalid unless your bed is shared by your friends who are all tweeting, snapping and texting. Yes our peers play a huge role in our decision making, but at some point you have to decide to choose things for yourself, in more serious situations than whether or not to respond to a text at 1 am. Social media's pros could not exist without it's fully controllable cons. If you want to be able to find information at the drop of a hat, you may have to risk checking your twitter and getting distracted, but you will be able to reign yourself in if you have the self control to realize that the task at hand is more important than whether or not you see what your friend had for breakfast or is currently watching on TV.
SegersMSC2014

Con

My point of peer pressure does not contradict the statement of obsessing over our phones, rather helps to support it. iPhones today are capable of group messages with multiple people in one message, Facebook also has this capability. If it is 11 o'clock at night and everyone is still talking in the message, you won't want to go to sleep because then you will miss what everyone says and won't be able to read it until the morning after the fact. This leads to my next point of how social media limits social interaction. I'm sure we have all seen a group of people sitting at a table not talking to one another with a phone in their hands. Although you are still "interacting" with the online world, you are missing out on the real connection of face to face interaction. Another issue is online predators and Catfish. People have the ability to create a person and pretend to be someone they are not. There are many cases in which a young girl will think they are talking to a boy their age and they will meet them in person and it will a predator who is well over the age they said they were. This is an extremely dangerous and is all caused by social media.
feeleymsc2014

Pro

While those are all valid points, I believe that anything we have the power and ability to change and have complete control over is not something that can be so heavily weighted. And as for those people who create false identities, I think that the person who they talk too needs to think about the safety of the situation and not be so trusting of their new internet friend, especially not to the point of meeting up with them. Yes it happens and yes it's dangerous, but again we have complete control over it. In conclusion I still believe that there are far more pros to social media than there are cons. Criminals can now be caught easier by using social media, and their interactions on the site to find them, networking through things like LinkedIn offer new ways of making connections with people to further a career which have never been possible before, sites like Change.org allow for people to sign petitions to contribute to the world as a while, not just local govenment and the world is completely opened up to is when we used these sites. There is a risk factor in involved, but there is a risk in everything, it's what you do with it and how you use it that make it such a necessity to our society, and in general such a great benefit to living in this age.
SegersMSC2014

Con

While I agree with how great social media is for connecting and getting information, the cons are far worse then not being able to read a post. I understand wanting to take risks, but is your safety or others safety really worth it? Control is huge factor in this controversy. Yes, we all have the ability to control what information is put out there, but even if we kept out information private someone can ALWAYS get to it. People are trained in computers and today hackers are everywhere. Not just hacking into your social media accounts, but also into your personal files. While social media allows for major help in criminal justice, researching, and sending out important notices, they are also a prominent component in internet safety and personal safety. Life is all about taking risks and living life to the fullest, but I would rather spend a full life knowing my identity is safe, than risking it all. Face it, our identity is one of those things no one should be able to touch, but nowadays through social media it's anyone's game.
Posted by Duncanmsc2014 3 years ago
Duncanmsc2014
I agree with the pro side only because it is a great way to connect with people, and our society is becoming much more involved with social media. I believe the con side does make great points about the issues of safety, but I would have to agree with the pro side.
Posted by cmolliconemsc2014 3 years ago
cmolliconemsc2014
I think that social media, although at times is beneficial, hurts more than it helps. Children today are too obsessed with social media and find it an easier way to say something they would not have the courage to say in person, making cyber bullying a major problem in our country right now.
Posted by kristinkleya 3 years ago
kristinkleya
I agree that social media is a great way to contact people and communicate with others. I agree with the pro side because I believe you have total control over what you post and who sees it. They both said great arguments.
Posted by abbeyshannon 3 years ago
abbeyshannon
I agree that social media is a great way to keep in touch with people that live all over the world and is a way to communicate with others, but I also realize that people can abuse the settings like on facebook and get a hold of all your private information.