EllieBub
vmpire321

Social Networking Sites are Harmful

vmpire321
Started: 11/23/2011 Category: Technology

EllieBub

Pro

I am for this! These Social Networking sites are bad for the young ones under 14, I think they shouldn't lie. But as they do, they get Cyber-bullied! It is wrong!
vmpire321

Con

I thank my opponent for this debate round! :D Hope this is going to be fun.

==DEFINITIONS==

Well, seeing that the PRO has not defined the topic yet, I will take it into my own hands.
I define Social Networking Sites as a website for gregarious humans to find communities and companionship...
Just to clarify, social networking sites do not include dating websites, such as eharmony.com, match.com, etc, as the websites only support 1 on 1 close relationships, as compared to social which pertains to a gathering or community.
I define harmful as causing physical/mental damage, or moral injury, evil, wrong.

==REBUTTALS==
Con states "These Social Networking sites are bad for the young ones under 14, I think they shouldn't lie. But as they do, they get Cyber-bullied! It is wrong!"
His argument is based on the premise that children under 14 get on social networking sites.

1) According to Time, Facebook kicks off 20,000 underage users everyday. http://newsfeed.time.com...

2) Most people on social networking sites are adults who are capable of making their own choices as to what to do.

3)People are responsible when it comes to who their friends are, and taking it up with the proper people if they are being cyber-bullied on social networks. Nowadays, most schools are open to help children who are being cyber-bullied.

==ARGUMENTS==

1) Large social networking sites are constantly monitored by staff members, and when you take into consideration that there are plenty of dangerous chat rooms and instant messengers filled with suspicious people, isn't it clear that these social networking sites provide more online safety?

2) There exists a balance in privacy between Parents and teenagers, and this is critical as teenagers deserve their own privacy and peace of mind from the micromanagement of some parents, while parents still do hold the right to monitor what their children are doing. Take facebook as an example and its many uses. Private Messages aren't available to outside people, while parents can easily monitor their children and their children's friends' walls to keep track and monitor them. This balance is crucially needed in today's world, as more and more teenagers are becoming social.

3) Health. The human mind needs social activity. In fact, in schools nowadays, teachers are teaching students about the three parts to health. This includes your physical health, your mental/emotional health, and finally your social health. Human beings need friends; they need people they can depend on and talk to in times of need. Facebooks helps people socialize and adds an important "happiness" factor in their lives.

4)Social networking sites allows friends and family to keep in touch more easily, as they can instantaneously share information about their lives, such as events, photos, videos and more, with their friends and family, even if they are far away. Forgetting your old friends or distant family members is less likely to happen when you see their faces and updates every day on websites such as facebook.

5)Self-Determination Groups. Social networking sites have many benefits. One of them allows people with similar beliefs to connect with one another and stand up for a cause. Take Egypt for an example. Recently, when Egypt fought for democracy, self-determination groups used communication methods such as Facebook.

With this I bring my arguments to a close. I shall expand and make new ones, if necessary, in future rounds.
=====================================================

I await Pro's response. :)!
EllieBub

Pro

The 'Pro' is here, And I am a GIRL!
I think Social Networking sites are very harmful from cyber bullying.
It is absolutely atrocious the amount of people who get cyber bullied.

We now live in a digital age, when being wired in seems as normal as breathing. Social networking Websites like Facebook and MySpace cashed in on the computer-toting generation by creating online 'social graphs' that allow younger (10+) to socialize in cyberspace. Now, with thousands of professionals flocking to these sites as well as to business applications like LinkedIn, some feel it's becoming necessary to use social networking sites to stay fresh in a new age of business interaction.

The evidence to substantiate this notion, however, is small. Though the number of professionals connecting online surged recently, social-networking sites remain inadequate for successfully making new business contacts.. Unless you've already made previous contact, it's difficult to discern with who you are really dealing with. The computer screen, after all, offers little more than a r�sum� with a head shot.

Social-networking sites prove more of a distraction than a useful tool. The inundation of friend requests and insignificant news feeds on sites like Facebook eat up valuable time that could be spent solidifying contacts in person. "The most effective networking is face to face," says Stanford business professor Jeffrey Pfeffer. "There's no substitute for real human contact. It's less personal online."

Plus, sometimes a level of cyber-anonymity is more convenient than total Web exposure. While sites like LinkedIn and others allow old colleagues, acquaintances, and business clients instant access to your contact info, it might be more hassle than help to sift through uncensored blasts from the past.

A good old-fashioned handshake or happy-hour cocktail will do more to seal the deal than any MySpace profile or open e-vite. This may be the digital era, but successful business networking online remains a thing of the future.

Help from
( http://www.businessweek.com... )
vmpire321

Con

Sorry for thinking that you were a guy! I will start using "her", "she", and other female pronouns now >.<~!

==PLAGIARISM==
I'd like to bring it to the attention of the readers of this debate that PRO plagiarized most of her arguments from http://www.businessweek.com..., unless if she can prove that she's Jenna Goudreau, a reporter from Business Week and the writer of the PRO argument. Although plagiarism wasn't mentioned as a rule(as there were no rules that Elliebub posted), I still think that PRO should be punished for this.

==DROPPED ARGUMENTS==
The PRO completely ignored and failed to respond to the following arguments.

1) Self-determination Groups--She doesn't realize the importance of social networking sites when self-determination groups are trying to organize. Sometimes, these people are being suppressed by the government and cannot meet and group together in public-so they use online social websites. The right to free speech and to rally can be preformed online. She concedes to my point about how people with similar interests can group together and take action.

==REBUTTALS==

PRO says "I think Social Networking sites are very harmful from cyber bullying. It is absolutely atrocious the amount of people who get cyber bullied."
1)I've already stated this, and I'll say it again. These large social networking sites are constantly monitored by staff members.
2) Parents and Schools exist for reasons. Those who get cyber-bullied, just like those who get bullied in real life, can simply go to their parents or to their school.
3)Most people on social networking sites are adults who are capable of making their own choices as to what to do.
4)People are responsible when it comes to who their friends are, and taking it up with the proper people if they are being cyber-bullied on social networks. Nowadays, most schools are open to help children who are being cyber-bullied.

PRO says.."The evidence to substantiate this notion, however, is small. Though the number of professionals connecting online surged recently, social-networking sites remain inadequate for successfully making new business contacts.. Unless you've already made previous contact, it's difficult to discern with who you are really dealing with. The computer screen, after all, offers little more than a résumé with a head shot."
1) According to http://mashable.com..., recently, LinkedIn passed its 100-million user mark and currently it has 131 million members and more than a million groups. I don't see how this is "inadequate for successfully making new business contacts."
2) LinkedIn is adding a new member every second. (http://mashable.com...)
3) A survey of LinkedIn users showed that, 61% used LinkedIn primarly, 22% use Facebook mainly, and 4% use Twitter. (http://mashable.com...)
4) Also in a survey, 90% of LinkedIn users believe that this networking site is useful for connecting to clients and hiring people that they normally wouldn't meet. (http://mashable.com...)

PRO says "Social-networking sites prove more of a distraction than a useful tool. The inundation of friend requests and insignificant news feeds on sites like Facebook eat up valuable time that could be spent solidifying contacts in person. "The most effective networking is face to face," says Stanford business professor Jeffrey Pfeffer. 'There's no substitute for real human contact. It's less personal online.'"

1) Social Networking sites can allow friends and family, that are far away, to share information about their lives. If one of your friends move, how can you hope to meet them in real life constantly to keep your friendship? Websites like Facebook make forgetting your old friends and distant family members almost impossible, as you always see their updates on social networking sites.
2)You may argue that social networking sites are a distraction to humans.. But can't that be said to just about everything? Online gamers, sports fans, music lovers, and more all can spend unbelievable amounts of time on their favorite activity? Anything can be a distraction.

Pro also says "Plus, sometimes a level of cyber-anonymity is more convenient than total Web exposure. While sites like LinkedIn and others allow old colleagues, acquaintances, and business clients instant access to your contact info, it might be more hassle than help to sift through uncensored blasts from the past."
1)No one says that you can't make your profile private....
2)Sure, sometimes you don't want to talk to people in your past, but doesn't this still happen in real life? This is only relevant and specific to online networking sites.
3)Pro goes to say that "It's less personal online.." in her earlier argument. Now she says that it's a pain and harder to deal with the past online, where "it's less personal".

==NEW ARGUMENTS==

1)Communication to large groups of people... Social networking sites allow you to feed information to groups of people. Now, instead of having to group everyone together in the same place and at the same time, to deliver information to them, you can simply post your message online. The recipients of your message can check their news feeds and read it at their own convenient times.

==OLD ARGUMENTS==
I'm just putting them here to remind you guys...

1) Monitered by staff members
2) Balance in privacy between parents and teenagers
3) The human mind needs social activity.
4) Allows people to keep in touch easily, even if they are far away.
5) Self-determination groups sometimes use social networking sites.
EllieBub

Pro

In case you haven't noticed I am in Intermediate, I just had to get into this website for my group and the opposing teams group! We are only just learning about arguments/Debates!

Please! I just need to find the other group that I have to debate against, so I might have to drop out of this debate, because I need to or else I will get a bad grade!

So thank you for getting my debate and accepting it!
(I edited the other argument!)
vmpire321

Con

Hmmm.... Not too clear about who these "groups" are...

But seeing that Elliebub hasn't posted any arguments... Just extend all of my arguments to here..

Question for Ellie: So you are forfeiting this match?
EllieBub

Pro

As much as I want to say no, I must say Yes. I found the group/person
EleaDEVILnor
vmpire321

Con

Arguments Extended.....

Seeing that PRO has given up this match, vote for CON.
EllieBub

Pro

I am ever so sorry for doing this. our arguments were very good.
vmpire321

Con

Well, Arguments extended...

I thank PRO for this debate...very interesting for the time that it lasted...

Vote CON, PRO conceded.
Posted by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
o.0!
Posted by kyro90 5 years ago
kyro90
Lol this debate was pretty funny! :D
Posted by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
Sorry for thinking that you were guy D':
Posted by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
i accept
Vote Placed by JakeBoatman96 5 years ago
JakeBoatman96
EllieBubvmpire321Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con presented stronger and more persuasive arguments. Edge goes to Con.
Vote Placed by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
EllieBubvmpire321Tied
Reasons for voting decision: better arguments, didnt plagiarize, didnt concede, points to con
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
Ore_Ele
EllieBubvmpire321Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con presented stronger, better backed up arguments. Pro seemed to by relying more on emotion and did not do very much to show that the emotional fear that she was stiring was logically sound. The loss of conduct is from basically doing half (if that much) a debate and all but dropping out.