HAtatrah
Pastafarian

Social Networking

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

HAtatrah

Pro

Social networking via Facebook, Twitter, etc., is as good as, if not better than, face-to-face
interaction and socializing.
Pastafarian

Con

OVERVIEW

I finally got a new computer, and so this is my first debate in a while. I thank Pro for making such an interesting debate, and I hope he will not forfeit in any part. As Con I shall be proving that social networking via Facebook, Twitter, etc is worse than face-to-face interaction and socializing. I do not know how Pro wants the layout to be—but I am assuming that he wants me to first accept it and not provide any arguments.

DEFINTIONS
Because of the fact that Pro did not provide any definitions I shall be the one in which hands out the definitions.
As defined on www.dictionary.com
Social Networking: the use of a website to connect with people who share personal or professional interests, place of origin, education at a particular school, etc. http://dictionary.reference.com...
Better: Of superior quality, or excellence http://dictionary.reference.com...
Good: Morally excellent http://dictionary.reference.com...
Worse: More unfavorable http://dictionary.reference.com...
Interaction: Reciprocal action http://dictionary.reference.com...
Socializing: Make fit for life in companionship with others. http://dictionary.reference.com...
Good Luck, Pro

HAtatrah

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate.
I would also like my opponent to know that I am very new to this and apologize for my shortcomings.
Concerning arguments: On much deliberation concerning the merits of certain social networking sites, I realize that factors are present in the process of communication via internet that allow for not only a "good" interaction, but also a "better" one. When in a conversation with someone on a social networking site, one is presented with the opportunity to think before he speaks(that is type). This website is a prime example, when a person enters a debate he is not forced to respond immediately but can search for evidence with which he can make his point or points(assuming he knows how to do this). One is given the opportunity to speak freely with peoples of other nations, though it could be argued that this is not better by my opponents definition of the word, it is much less expensive and far easier due to the easy accessibility of online translators. It is easier to be more eloquent when given the time to consider what to say or post.
Again will I apologize, for due to the shortness of time, I must post this now.
Pastafarian

Con

I thank my opponent for the speedy reply back. Don’t worry you’ll progress along the lines of DDO. I will provide one argument—as Pro only provide one to me.
Rebuttal 1: I begin with his statement of “When in a conversation with someone on a social networking site, one is presented with the opportunity to think before he speaks(that is type).” This claim is purely speculation—as you have not provided any sources pertaining to this claim. I urge the audience to not take the statement in which my opponent said to be considered as a fact.
Argument 1: As the Contender in this debate I will be proving to the Instigator and the audience that in a matter of fact—socializing via conversation in real life is much better than socializing via websites such as DDO, Facebook, etc. I begin with the statement, you do not know really who you are talking to. For all you know I may as well be a 85 year old pedophile who likes little guys wearing princess dresses. Going back to the argument—it’s is shown on this website [1] that there is approximately 750,000 pedophiles roaming the internet each day. My point is you can’t trust who you talk to on the internet—so hence talking face-to-face is a much better source of communication.
Thank you for this debate, and good luck mate.

HAtatrah

Pro

HAtatrah forfeited this round.
Pastafarian

Con

In conclusion I strongly urge the voters or audience to vote for con. Pro has not provided any solid arguments and couldn't refute to anything I said.This debate would've been fun if Pro provided maybe 48-72 hours of length for this debate.

Thanks for the debate,
Pastafarian :)
Posted by HAtatrah 5 years ago
HAtatrah
I agree with con,
More time would have made for a better debate
I thank con for participating and apologize for not finishing in the time we had
Posted by socialpinko 5 years ago
socialpinko
Define better.
Vote Placed by socialpinko 5 years ago
socialpinko
HAtatrahPastafarianTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had a source while Pro merely used baseless speculation. Pro did not cite his argument and so it, as Con pointed out, cannot be taken as fact. Also conduct goes to Con for Pro's forfeit.
Vote Placed by BillBonJovi 5 years ago
BillBonJovi
HAtatrahPastafarianTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited so Con gets my conduct point. Pro also used no evidence to support his arguments and Con argued stronger in the whole debate so he gets my other points as well.