acer
mongeese

Social Security is beneficial to United States Citizens

mongeese

acer

Pro

Defined Terms:

Social Security - is a social insurance program that mainly refers only to the benefits for retirement, disability, survivorship, and death. This essay will mainly deal with the social security program of the U.S. http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov...

is - linking verb.

beneficial - helpful, useful, and is generally good. -http://dictionary.reference.com...

United States Citizens - all the legal passport holding citizens inside the U.S. Border that are paying for social security or receiving it.

My contention is that social security is beneficial for the U.S. Citizens:

Social security provides a bases for which many hard working seniors can finally leave there job and have a secure income on which to rely upon. Though social security has taken small increments of a person's paycheck monthly, it provides a safety net for retirement. In addition to giving benefits for retirement, it also gives benefits for disability and to families whose working member has died or become disabled. This is beneficial as it helps these families survive.

My opponent has the burden of proof in that he must cite specific examples of when social security has not been beneficial to the people of the U.S. and must explain why.
mongeese

Con

I would like to thank acer for challenging me to this debate. Here are my contentions:

1-. Social Security is a Ponzi scheme.

Think about it. Social Security promises its investors money, then gives it money from new investors. This requires more and more investors to contribute their money, making the problem steadily worse over time [1]. The problem is, even though we've realized that it's a Ponzi scheme, we aren't allowed to back out of it. The government will literally force us to contribute to its funds, as it punishes independent men who will con, not force, money from people. Any system that has to force people to contribute to it cannot be beneficial

2-. Social Security cannot sustain itself.

When Social Security was first started, there was one retired senior for every 16 workers [2]. With both a steady increase in life expectancy and a steady decrease in the fertility rate over time, there's a retired senior for every 3.3 workers, and this number is only going to get progressively smaller. Eventually, every two workers will have to support one retired senior, which hardly seems possible given how much money these seniors demand from the system. Taxes will have to go up dramatically, and nobody wants that. That would hardly be beneficial. Sure, we could borrow the money, but the national debt is verging on collapse as it is; social security will quicken the fall. Either we'll be far overtaxed as we begin to work, or the government will break its promise to new retirees and refuse to pay them, despite the fact that they paid into the system in the first place. Neither of these inevitable scenarios look promising at all.

1 . Social security gives money to seniors.

Sure, seniors get money after they retire, but that's only because they paid money before they retired - and chances are they aren't getting as much back as they put in, given the time value of money [3]. The U.S. government is taking the money to use for itself, then returning about an equal amount later, essentially robbing the workers of the time value of that money. If workers want a safety net for retirement, they can, and do, have savings accounts in the bank, and meet with financial advisors to ensure that they have enough money for retirement. The government is a laughable and dangerous replacement for a financial advisor.

2 . Social security helps the disabled and those whose relatives have died.

Yes, but this helps them with the same tax dollars that it robbed from them, so they overall still lose money. Besides, few families that actually receive these benefits would literally die without them.

In conclusion, while social security may benefit a few, it overall sets up the rest of the country to a collapsing system that's sure to cause economic pain.

With that, I leave the debate to my opponent, and request that he begin to properly source his claims.

[1] http://www.americanthinker.com...
[2] http://www.socialsecurityreform.org...
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org...
acer

Pro

acer forfeited this round.
mongeese

Con

Well, it's a shame that acer had to forfeit this round, but the debate shall continue in the next two. I hope.
acer

Pro

acer forfeited this round.
mongeese

Con

Well, my opponent only has one round left. Let's hope it's a good one.
acer

Pro

acer forfeited this round.
mongeese

Con

Well, my opponent apparently had more important things to do than debate Social Security. Vote CON!
Posted by acer 6 years ago
acer
I am going to post argument in comments. Just give me a second.
Posted by mongeese 6 years ago
mongeese
So, acer, are you just going to forfeit this round, or do you want to try to post an argument in the Comments?
Posted by acer 6 years ago
acer
I don't care if I lose. I have not won a single debate yet because I am not yet well informed. To become informed is the whole point of this debate. Next time, we should debate on more current topics.
Posted by mongeese 6 years ago
mongeese
Okay, put together an opening argument. Just be warned, things could get ugly.

You also might want to change your Big Issues opinion. Most people read "Social Security" as the government's plan.
Posted by acer 6 years ago
acer
That's what would make it fun.
Posted by mongeese 6 years ago
mongeese
Nah, that would hardly be a fair debate. The US system isn't very strong even with a passionate defense. A devil's advocacy wouldn't stance a chance.
Posted by acer 6 years ago
acer
I am already debating Will on this subject. Even though we agree on this subject, lets just debate so that I can have practice. I will take PRO for current US system, though I disagree.
Posted by mongeese 6 years ago
mongeese
Then we apparently agree. Generally, when people refer to "social security," they mean the current government-run Ponzi scheme.

How about a Death Penalty debate?
Posted by acer 6 years ago
acer
This debate is for Social Security in general and does not refer to any specific setup.
Posted by mongeese 6 years ago
mongeese
I'd prefer if by "Social Security," you specifically reference the current setup of the U.S. government. If you disagree with that setup, you'll have to define your intended setup in more detail.

Also, just as I have the burden of proof to show that it is not beneficial, you have a burden to show that it is. You have weakly met your burden for now, although I fully intend to turn the tables on you by the first round.
Vote Placed by Maikuru 6 years ago
Maikuru
acermongeeseTied
Vote Placed by LaissezFaire 6 years ago
LaissezFaire
acermongeeseTied