LLNoordermeer
Jackthemarine86

"Social media is making people less social."

LLNoordermeer

Con

As social media enables us to express our thoughts, ideas and feelings in a complete new way, it has become an important way of communicating in the 21st century. It has become a vital part of our everyday life. The total number of people using social media continues to increase globally.

However, the nature of the problem is that there is no consensus whether social media is making people more or less social. I'm looking to find out what the majority thinks.

The debate statement that I would like to discuss is therefore: "social media makes people less social".

With the help of your answers, I will develop a report on this topic. An observation of the opinions given (anonymously) will hopefully provide a valid conclusion. Your feedback is therefore very much appreciated.
Jackthemarine86

Pro

I accept. Simply to assist you with your report.
LLNoordermeer

Con

LLNoordermeer forfeited this round.
Jackthemarine86

Pro

I sincerely hope all is well for the author of this debate - Otherwise, I'm going to assume that 1) She has lost interest or 2) Has forgotten about the debate altogether. Either way:

- I agree with this. Social media is a different form of communication.

- I think the defining factor lies in describing what context of "less social" we are referring to. As social media expands, social networking runs rampant, and people are very social on the internet. I think personal social interaction between people (i.e., face to face) suffers.

I see this on a daily basis around me. At lunch, people are surfing Facebook, text messaging, surfing the internet, etc., . They have their head buried in some type of smart device, oblivious to the world around them for the most part. It's not limited to lunch time, however. I see it at bus stops, while people are walking, waiting in line at the checkout counter... it's everywhere. In the meantime, personal social interaction is being replaced by a little hand-held device. Communication is limited to describing what we need at the store or to give instructions. Pleasantries, random conversation, etc.,. is becoming a dying art.

On the internet, while social bonding is abundant, social behaviors are also being affected. With anonymity, people are social, but demonstrate social rudeness - i.e., becoming "trolls". They express whatever they feel, because there is no accountability. Ergo, common respect is fading away - Notice, however, in a personal setting, people are more conservative with their remarks, because while Freedom of Speech is a Constitutional Right, it does not alleviate the reprecussions of that speech- like getting punched in the face for speaking in the same rude manner you did with anonymity on the internet.
LLNoordermeer

Con

LLNoordermeer forfeited this round.
Jackthemarine86

Pro

Con has forfeited two rounds. I stand by my statement in round 2. Thanks for allowing me to share.