Justinisthecrazy
hahajoker91

Social networking sites On Balance have had a positive impact on the United States

Justinisthecrazy

Justinisthecrazy

Con

I will be the con.

I wish my opponent the best of Luck. My opponent must start his case in this round or the next post directly under mine. This will be much like a public forum debate. Meaning, definitions may be argued, sources may be argued, and contentions may be argued.

Thank you to who ever accepts this and have fun :)

The Followign will happen Aff will post a case, neg will post a case/refute the case

Aff will refute/extend Neg will refute/extend

Aff will have the final word but cannot add to their case but may extend things they have said but with no new evidence and refute the neg case.
hahajoker91

Pro

Social Networking sites are a tricky thing to debate because of the various pros and cons. I decided to take this debate on however. First off, many people are reunited through social networking site. Second, many people find life long companions through dating websites. Third, people can keep in touch with family from all across the world. These are a few of the pros.
Justinisthecrazy

Con

For this debate I clarify the following defintions on balance as net result or overall effect (www.investorwords.com/3410/on_balance.html)

positive to be admitting of no doubt or irrefutable fact (American Heritage second College edition)

I being the con must negate the resolution that on balance Social Networking sites ON BALANCE have had a positive impact on the United States. I am negating the resolution when I say that I am neutral. Meaning there are good things and there are bad things about social networking websites but neither can outweigh the other and with all things considered are equal and neutral.

To clarify the word negate means to show to be false wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

By going neutral I am proving the resolution false.

To begin the debate I concede all affirmative points

1.Young people don't know how much information they're putting out and no one needs to prove their identity, even sex offenders.

According to a study conducted by the University of Dayton, 23% of college students intentionally misrepresent themselves on a social networking website to be funny. Not all people are pretending to be someone else for the sake of a joke. On August 22, 2002, as part of his official duties, Detective Frank Warchol of the Portsmouth, New Hampshire Police Department signed on to a chat room on America Online, posing as a fourteen-year-old girl. We all know what happened next. A man named Roland MacMillan also signed on to the chat room, and solicited what he believed to be the 14-year-old for sexual acts. Shortly thereafter Mr. MacMillan was arrested. Young users are often na�ve about the information they put out on the Internet that is made public. Adults can send inappropriate pictures of themselves to minors. "A concerned parent" made the profile on Facebook of a 15-year-old girl who doesn't exist except for online. The girl joined many group dealing with sexuality and ended up becoming "friends" with some of the adults that sent her inappropriate pictures.

2. Social networking sites are unregulated

On Social networking sites, there is an age requirement. They are usually 14 or 18. But who's checking who really is of age? There is no doubt there are 10 years old on these sites when they are not allowed to be on them. The sites trust users are whatever age they say they are by checking a box upon registering. Letting your children use a social networking site is like dropping them off in RiverSquare park at midnight and expecting them to be alright.

3. Social Networking sites hurt the workplace

The Results of an exclusive MessageLabs survey conducted in September 2007, reveal that approximately 75% of companies said the number of visits their employees were making to social networking sites had increased over the previous six months. About 60% thought this had damaged productivity; while over. 75% believed corporate reputation could be seriously threatened if staff members posted negative comments about their organization online. No wonder over 70% of respondents said they were thinking of restricting employee access to social networking sites. (http://www.compliancehome.com...)

4. online social networking sites have become targets for hackers

When you're online, your computer is under attack, and more hackers are hunting for prey on social-networking sites. For the past three months a virus dubbed "Koobface" has targeted Facebook's 120 million users. It uses the social network's messaging system to infect PCs, then it tries to raid your personal information. "If you're connected to the Internet, you're almost always under attack," said Brad Lindsay, KSL system security expert. From an infected computer, Koobface sends notes to friends. You may get a message from a trusted friends account with a subject header like: "You look just awesome in this new movie." It directs you to a Web site and instructs you to download an update of Adobe's Flash player. At that point, you're infected and you get sent off to contaminated sites "Some of the really bad ones can actually take over your computer and be used to attack other computers. Others will sit quietly, record information and send it back to the hacker," Lindsay said. (http://www.ksl.com...) Once these sites were virus free zone, but the same thing can not be told now about these websites. So, social networking websites are now vulnerable to severe malware or virus attack as proven. It is obvious social networking websites are an easy hunting ground for all these malicious viruses. The danger is real, according to a study conducted by CA and the National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA). In October, the alliance issued its first social networking study examining the link between specific online behaviors and the potential for becoming a victim of cybercrime. 67 percent of people who use social networking sites admit to worrying about becoming a victim of cybercrime.

Therefore with the affirmative acting as the counter balance and proving why they are positive I stand neutral on the REsolution

Social Networking sites on Balance have had a positive impact on the United States.
Justinisthecrazy

Con

As, the voters you may see that my opponent did not extend his case but I will ask you to extend it for him. I will also ask you to extend my points.

An once again to clarify I stand neutral on the resolution. But at the same time negate it as the word negate means to deny truth of, so by being neutral I am negating the resolution.

Thank you vote con :)
hahajoker91

Pro

I am neutral on the topic as well i did not feel to extend my point because I am not passionate on the topic. I believed you had good points so I said touche. Since both of us are neutral can we have a tie?
Posted by Epicism 8 years ago
Epicism
I'm adding that to my list of thing to do before I die!

<Writes: End a debate with only the word "Touche">
Posted by Maikuru 8 years ago
Maikuru
"Touche"

Love it
Posted by sorc 8 years ago
sorc
"Since both of us are neutral can we have a tie?"

Lol, Con even explained in his or her opener that neutral = Con's win.
Posted by Justinisthecrazy 8 years ago
Justinisthecrazy
I can choose to speak second if I wish and it gives my opponent an advantage sure of him having 3 rounds of arguments and me only having 2
Posted by Fhqwhgads 8 years ago
Fhqwhgads
I would like to argue this, but I'd rather choose con. I may use this resolution for myself if it's OK.
Posted by asiansarentnerdy 8 years ago
asiansarentnerdy
But shouldn't you start the debate first?
Posted by fresnoinvasion 8 years ago
fresnoinvasion
"Meaning, definitions may be argued, sources may be argued, and contentions may be argued"

In a debate?

No way..
Vote Placed by trendem 8 years ago
trendem
Justinisthecrazyhahajoker91Tied
Vote Placed by Maikuru 8 years ago
Maikuru
Justinisthecrazyhahajoker91Tied
Vote Placed by sorc 8 years ago
sorc
Justinisthecrazyhahajoker91Tied
Vote Placed by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
Justinisthecrazyhahajoker91Tied