Harrythemasterdebator
Donderpants

Social networking sites cause more harm than good

Donderpants
Started: 6/13/2015 Category: Technology

Harrythemasterdebator

Pro

I believe that social networking sites cause more harm than good because studies have proven that people (generally teenagers) are more likely to bully through social media than other forms of media or the more traditional methods of bullying. SOURCE: http://www.meganmeierfoundation.org...
Donderpants

Con

In response to your point as to how social media can be used for bullying- yes, it's true that bullying online does occur. But I find it very hard to believe that they wouldn't bully people anyway, and having the bullying transfer from physical attacks that can actually cause very serious damage to a mere text message is in fact a good thing for society.

As well as this, you have to consider the fact that social media does more than just stop bullying being physically damaging- it also is used for good. Friendships can tarnish if you don't see them for extended periods of time, but social media allows people to keep their friendships growing strong. Are you suggesting that ridding society of bullying in a way that can cause permanent damage is a bad thing? Are you suggesting that keeping friendships strong is not worth doing?
Harrythemasterdebator

Pro

In response to the oppositions points, I am disgraced at my opponents lack of thought for peoples emotions. Firstly I would like to point out that less than 2% of students have been assaulted or physically hurt. This pales in comparison to the amount of students that have been cyber bullied. I think that my opponent has also ranked physical pain above the pain that words can cause. The truth is that words DO hurt just as much, if not more than being "beaten up". The invisible scars left by cyber abuse causes young adults do become depressed and sometimes even worse. The point is that being hurt physically does not even compare to what happens if one if hurt mentally.

To add to my early point, bullying is one of the major world problems, and is influenced greatly by social media. As a bully victim I have first person knowledge that bullying can make someone feel like they are trapped with no escape. But there is one escape. Suicide. Suicide happens across the world regularly. In New Zealand nearly 500 suicides took place, and studies show that cyber bullying is to blame. Suicide is the second highest cause of death in 15-24 year olds and there is a reason for this. Because of this I can make a clear judgement that social networking sites cause more harm than good.
Donderpants

Con

In response to my opponent's points-
1. I am not ignoring peoples emotional state. But physical taunts hurt both your self confidence AND your physical health. Emotional pain is just as painful as physical pain, if not more so. But physical attacks are simultaneously bad for your physical health and emotional state, which makes it worse than a simple text, which can only inflict one of the two.
2. As to your point that only 2% are physically bullied, that's how many are physically bullied today. Given how many bullies simply switched to the safer realm of computers to do their taunting, the amount before social media would have been significantly higher. So in your own accidental way, you are actually complimenting social media for lowering the rates of physical bullying so drastically.
3. I am very sorry to hear that you have felt first hand the wrath of bullies. That bit about suicide is incredibly depressing- however, NZ is noted for having an extremely high suicide rate compared to other countries, which suggests that social media is not in fact influencing this (as social media is all over the world) and instead another reason is responsible, one more localized to New Zealand.) And I too know something of how being bullied feels. Yr 5 in particular I was very depressed, and actually started logically going through suicide techniques. All the writing I have spotted from this time is saddening to me now- but in all this, I had not one form of social media. I didn't even have e-mail. So your claim about suicide and social media being related is flimsy, to me at least.

For these reasons, I believe that the links between social media and sad events in real life are flimsy at best, and a complete lie at worst.
Harrythemasterdebator

Pro

Harrythemasterdebator forfeited this round.
Donderpants

Con

Donderpants forfeited this round.
Posted by TheOpinionist 1 year ago
TheOpinionist
*closes computer*
*never cyberbullied again*
Problem sloved
Posted by stephannoi 1 year ago
stephannoi
That's why school bullying is increasing dramatically.Because the influence of technology make it easier to allow people to bully others.I didn't say we haven't school bullying before.But before the influence of technology there is less bullying than nowadays.Also before bulllying only occur inside the school.But nowaday bullying occur both inside and outside as well.Before,it's easier to seek help.But nowaday it's difficult because sometimes adults aren't there all time to control what kids doing in the internet.Suicide rate is also increasing since the influence of social media.So,yes i would say social media is bad for society.
Posted by stephannoi 1 year ago
stephannoi
Posted by stephannoi 1 year ago
stephannoi
I would say that social media can lead to physical bullying as well.I know this sounds very weird but it's actually true. Most teens enjoy to spend time on social media and some of them also like to bully others.Physical bully also link to social media because some people record with their mobile phone when bullying occurs.And put them on internet sites in order to intend everyone to see .
Posted by Donderpants 1 year ago
Donderpants
This is slowly morphing into a "depress the audience most" competition..... :P
Vote Placed by mmurph123 1 year ago
mmurph123
HarrythemasterdebatorDonderpantsTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD: Both Sides seemingly make up stats on the spot. Pro refrences 500 suicides in New Zealand would outweigh any point con makes, but they have no source linked to this. Similarly, Pro claims that ony 2% of students have been physically harrased, but the source Pro links contridcits him. The source states 40% of been physically harassed and 20% are physically assulted. Neither side gets the point in sources for this reason. Con's argument makes logical sense. "People are going to bully anyway" (Never attacked)>Cyber bullying has logically become more mainstream> Cyber bullying only causes emotional pain, while being bullied in person can cause physical pain and emotional pain. This debate is too narrow in scope for the given resolution, which hurts pro more so than con in the context of the round.
Vote Placed by Proving_a_Negative 1 year ago
Proving_a_Negative
HarrythemasterdebatorDonderpantsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Please ignore my vote. I didn't mean to vote :P
Vote Placed by Texas14 1 year ago
Texas14
HarrythemasterdebatorDonderpantsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Arguments went back and forth between who was winning, but con was winning at the end when pro forfeited.