theocatzop
KingDebater

Social networks are beneficial to our society!

theocatzop
Started: 7/5/2014 Category: Technology

theocatzop

Pro

I am for social networking sites and I think that they are good for our society. Con must argue against.

Acceptance first.
KingDebater

Con

theocatzop

Pro

Firstly, I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate!

To start with, I want to make some clarifications:

social networking service: A social networking service is a platform to build social networks or social relations among people who, share interests, activities, backgrounds or real-life connections.*

beneficial: Producing or promoting a favorable result; advantageous.**

society: a body of individuals living as members of a community; community.***

Advantges of social networking sites:

1) ALLOW PEOPLE TO IMPROVE THEIR RELATIONSHIPS AND MAKE NEW FRIENDS:
70% of adult social networking users visit the sites to connect with friends and family [1], and increased online communication strengthens relationships.52% of teens using social media report that using the sites has helped their relationships with friends, 88% report that social media helps them stay in touch with friends they cannot see regularly, 69% report getting to know students at their school better, and 57% make new friends. [3]

2) SPREAD INFORMATION FASTER THAN ANY OTHER MEDIA:
[5] Social networking sites are the top news source for 27.8% of Americans, ranking close to newspapers (28.8%) and above radio (18.8%) and other print publications (6%). [4] Twitter and YouTube users reported the July 20, 2012 Aurora, CO theater shooting before news crews could arrive on the scene [6], and the Red Cross urged witnesses to tell family members they were safe via social media outlets.

3) HELP STUDENTS DO BETTER AT SCHOOL:
59% of students with access to the Internet report that they use social networking sites to discuss educational topics and 50% use the sites to talk about school assignments. [7] After George Middle School in Portland, OR introduced a social media program to engage students, grades went up by 50%, chronic absenteeism went down by 33%, and 20% of students school-wide voluntarily completed extra-credit assignments. [8]

4) HELP EMPLOYERS FIND EMPLOYEES AND JOB-SEEKERS FIND WORK:
64% of companies are on two or more social networks for recruiting [10] because of the wider pool of applicants and more efficient searching capabilities. 89% of job recruiters have hired employees through LinkedIn, 26% through Facebook, and 15% through Twitter.One in six job-seekers credit social media for helping find their current job. 52% of job-seekers use Facebook for the job search, 38% use LinkedIn, and 34% use Twitter. [12]

5) HELP SENIOR CITIZENS FEEL MORE CONNECTED TO SOCIETY:
According to a 2010 Pew Internet & American Life Project study, the 74-year old and older age group is the fastest growing demographic on social media sites with the percentage quadrupling from 2008 to 2010, from 4% to 16%. [13] Seniors report feeling happier due to online contact with family and access to information like church bulletins that have moved online and out of print. [14]

6) OFFER A WAY FOR MUSICIANS AND ARTISTS TO BUILD AUDIENCES:
64% of teenagers listen to music on YouTube, making it the "hit-maker" for songs rather than radio (56%) or CDs (50%). For example, pop star Justin Bieber was discovered on YouTube when he was 12 years old, and, in 2012 at 18 years old, Bieber"s net worth was estimated at $80 million. [16] The National Endowment for the Arts found that people who interact with the arts online through social media and other means are almost three times more likely to attend a live event. [17]

7) OFFER TEACHERS A PLATFORM FOR COLLABORATION WITH OTHER TEACHERS AND COMMUNICATION WITH STUDENTS OUTSIDE THE CLASSROOM:
More than 80% of US college and university faculty use social media; more than 50% use it for teaching; and 30% for communicating with students. [18] Educators from around the world interact with each other and bring guest teachers, librarians, authors, and experts into class via social networks like Twitter and social networking tools like Skype. [19]Edmodo, an education-specific social networking site designed for contact between students, teachers, and parents, reached over ten million users on Sep. 11, 2012. [21]

8) INCREASE A PERSON'S QUALITY OF LIFE AND REDUCE THE RISK OF HEALTH PROBLEMS:
Social media can help improve life satisfaction, stroke recovery, memory retention, and overall well-being by providing users with a large social group. Additionally, friends on social media can have a "contagion" effect, promoting and helping with exercise, dieting, and smoking cessation goals. [22]

9) LAW ENFORCEMENT USES SOCIAL NETWORKING SITES TO CATCH AND PROSECUTE CRIMINALS:
67% of federal, state, and local law enforcement professionals surveyed think "social media helps solve crimes more quickly." [23] In 2011 the NYPD added a Twitter tracking unit and has used social networking to arrest criminals who have bragged of their crimes online. [24] When the Vancouver Canucks lost the 2011 Stanley Cup in Vancouver, the city erupted into riots. Social media was used to catch vandals and rioters as social networking site users tagged the people they knew in over 2,000 photos posted to the sites.

10) FACILITATE FACE-TO-FACE INTERACTION:
People use social media to network at in-person events and get to know people before personal, business, and other meetings.Pew Research Center's Internet and American Life Project found that messaging on social media leads to face-to-face interactions when plans are made via the sites and social media users messaged close friends an average of 39 days each year while seeing close friends in person 210 days each year. [27]

11) GOOD FOR THE ECONOMY:
Social media sites have created a new industry and thousands of jobs in addition to providing new income and sales. [28] A McKinsey Global Institute study projects that the communication and collaboration from social media could add $900 billion to $1.3 trillion to the economy through added productivity and improved customer service.

12) EMPOWER INDIVIDUALS TO MAKE SOCIAL CHANGE:
Social media shares popularized nine-year old Scottish student, Martha Payne, and her blog, "Never Seconds," which exposed the state of her school"s lunch program prompting international attention that resulted in changes to her school and the formation of "Friends of Never Seconds" charity to feed children globally. [31] Jeannette Van Houten uses social media to find owners of photographs and mementos strewn from houses by Hurricane Sandy.

13) DISARM SOCIAL STIGMAS:
The Sticks and Stones campaign uses Twitter to reduce stigmas surrounding mental health and learning disabilities. The Stigma Project uses Facebook to "lower the HIV infection rate and neutralize stigma through education via social media and advertising." [32]

14) PROVIDES ACADEMIC RESEARCH TO A WIDER AUDIENCE:
Researchers from a wide variety of fields are sharing photos, providing status updates, collaborating with distant colleagues, and finding a wider variety of subjects via social media, making the research process and results more transparent and accessible to a larger public.[33]

15) INCREASE VOTER PARTICIPATION:
Facebook users reported they are more likely to vote if they see on social networking sites that their friends did.During the 2012 presidential election, 22% of registered voters posted about how they voted on Facebook or Twitter, 30% were encouraged to vote by posts on social media, and 20% encouraged others to vote via social networking sites. [34]

16) CORPORATIONS AND SMALL BUSINESSES USE SOCIAL MEDIA TO BENEFIT THEMSELVES AND CUSTOMERS:
Small businesses benefit greatly from the free platforms to connect with customers and increase visibility of their products or services. [35] Almost 90% of big companies using social media have reported "at least one measurable business benefit."

For all these reasons social networking sites have become increasingly popular and useful!

SOURCES:
*http://en.wikipedia.org...
**http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
***http://dictionary.reference.com...

[1]"People Use Social Networks to Connect with Friends and Family, Sometimes Brands," www.briansolis.com
[3]"Social Media, Social Life: How Teens View Their Digital Lives," www.commonsensemedia.org
[5]"Social Media as an Advocacy Tool," Techniques: Connecting Education & Careers
[6]"Theater Shooting Unfolds in Real Time on Social Media," www.cnn.com
[7]National School Boards Association, "Creating and Connecting: Research and Guidelines on Online Social - and Educational - Networking," www.nsba.org
[8] "The Case for Social Media in Schools," www.mashable.com
[10] "The Essential Guide to Developing a Social Recruiting Strategy," www.jobvite.com
[12]"2012 Social Job Seeker Survey," www.jobvite.com
[13]"Generations 2010," www.pewinternet.org
[14]University of Alabama at Birmingham, "Move Over Youngsters, Grandma"s on Facebook," www.newswise.com
[16] "Justin Bieber, Venture Capitalist," Forbes Asia Magazine
[17]"NEA Chairman Rocco Landesman Announces New Report on How Americans Use Electronic Media to Participate in the Arts," www.nea.gov
[18] "How Social Media Can and Should Impact Higher Education," Education Digest: Essential Readings Condensed for Quick Review
[19] "Skype and the Embedded Librarian," Library Technology Reports
[21]"Edmodo Reaches 10 Million Users," www.blog.edmodo.com
[22]"'Flocking' Behavior Lands on Social Networking Sites," USA TODAY, Sep. 27, 2009
[23]"Role of Social Media in Law Enforcement Significant and Growing," www.lexisnexis.com
[24]"NYPD Adding Twitter Tracking Unit to Police Force," www.socialnewsdaily.com
[27]"Social Media Doesn't Mean Social Isolation," www.usatodayeducate.com
[28]"How Social Media Saved the Economy," www.technorati.com
[30]"Twitter," www.topics.nytimes.com
[31]"Facebook, Public Education and Equity"www.dm
[33]"Going Viral: Using Social Media to Publicise Academic Research" www.guardian.co.uk
[34]"Social Media and Voting",www.pewinternet.org
[35]"How Small Businesses Are Using Social Media," s1.intuitstatic.com
KingDebater

Con

I understand Pro feels strongly about this issue.

I have a facepage account myself and I can tell you that they are not beneficial. For example:

i) I experience psychological and mental stress every time it says I have a notification and it turns out to be someone inviting me to play Farmville. I estimate a 90% collapse in my mental well being (non-recovery) every time this happens
ii) The people I hate keep bugging me !!
iii) I am addicted
iv) Some nutters get to go on them.
v) The Labour party have a fakebook page.

VI) FACEBOOK is a social network

VII) FACEBOOK creates barriers in the way of genuine social interaction [1].
VIII) FACEBOOK encourages bragging. Every post you do is "look at me, I did this" "look at me, I discovered that if you turn the camera the other way, you can take pictures of yourself" etc etc etc [2]

IX) FACEBOOK is the cause of our loss of identity. We constantly feel the need to impress others through our pictures, our statuses, the pages we like, etc. The problem comes when we wear this mask so much that we lose who we really are [3]. Then people only know us for the mask, and to not surprise them, we continue it.

End of argument.

Source
[1] https://www.youtube.com... (The first video)
[2] ibid
[3] ibid
theocatzop

Pro

'The people I hate keep bugging me !!'

Block them..

'FACEBOOK is the cause of our loss of identity. We constantly feel the need to impress others through our pictures, our statuses, the pages we like, etc.'

The same thing happens when you are member of any other social group. For example, at school we constantly try to impress our classmates in order to vote us for president of the class etc. If somebody cares about being popular he/she wants to be popular in every social group thar he/she participates in. If you're interested in being popular you have to try but you should protect your personality and not lose yourself. This is a basic principal you have to respect during your lifetime not only when you spend your time in a social network but in every social interaction. So, this is not a disadvantage enough important to outweigh social netorks' advantages.

'A FACEBOOK encourages bragging. Every post you do is "look at me, I did this" "look at me, I discovered that if you turn the camera the other way, you can take pictures of yourself" etc etc etc'

It's not about bragging. SOCIAL networks has this purpose: to create a small society of people who communicate, share their interests, share photos etc. Actually, this is an advantage and not a disadvantage. This is why social networks spread Iinformation faster than any other media. Because soneone can discover something interesting and share it with other people. For instance, someone can be informed about a concert that is taking place or a new TV series that he/she would may find niteresting.

' FACEBOOK creates barriers in the way of genuine social interaction'

This is a problem caused only when we don't use socal media wisely. We should be aware of this danger and protect ourselves. When we use them correctly we have the opposite results. We meet with people that we didn't know and we make new friends, we keep in touch with people who live in other cities or even abroad and since the communication is free and easy we speak more often to people we see everyday. All of these things, improce our social life and as I said in round 2, they facilitate face-to-face interactions.

'I experience psychological and mental stress every time it says I have a notification and it turns out to be someone inviting me to play Farmville. I estimate a 90% collapse in my mental well being (non-recovery) every time this happens'

This is not a very serious disadvantage. In fact, this is not about social media. This is about your anticipation to hear from someone. You might feel the same thing when, for example, your phone is ringing and when you answer it you realize that they have called you to advertise a product or ask you to participate in a survey. Another example is when you hear the bell ringing and then, when you open the door you see a stranger who wants to sell you some things.

'I am addicted'

This is a very frequent phenomenon, but yet again its cause is not social media but the way you ause them. Since you are aware of this danger, you have to put some limits and avoid spending too much time in front of the computer screen. The fact that you have realized the problem is a very positive sign. Here are some things you can do to protect yourself better:

1) Tell your parents to put a time limit to your computer that will allow you to spend a specific amount of time in front of your screen.
2) ask for help by experts
3) regulate your sleeping pattern (so that you ensure that you won't lose sleeping hours-this is a very frequent symptom of the internet addiction- and you will become more organized and self disciplined*
4) make a list of reasons why you will be happier by using the internet less and remind yourself that you can make it!*

As you can see there are many ways to avoid getting addicted or to face the problem of addiction. Of course there are some serious dangers but dangers are everywhere. Social media has to offer too many important benefits for someone to claim that the dangers are enough to make them more harmful than useful. In this case the key is to learn how to get protected and not to stop using them.

'The Labour party have a fakebook page'

Don't visit it.

'FACEBOOK is a social network'

I suppose that you don't like fb so the solution for you is easy:

DON'T MAKE A FACEBOOK ACCOUNT

Thank you, I'm a genius, I know:P

All in all, your arguments are more personal and most of your peoblems can be solved by deleting your account if you have or not making one. Other people don't find them serious or annoying enough to stop using them:

As of September 2013, 73% of online adults use social networking sites.**

Furthermore, social media do not include only fb. So, if you want to prevent people from inviting you to play games you can sign up another social networking site.

Finally, I can't understand something. Firstly, you are against social networks and then you say that you have an account while you find it extremely annoying.. Does not make any sense..

*http://m.wikihow.com...

** http://www.pewresearch.org...
KingDebater

Con

"Block them.."
But if I do that, then I won't have anyone left to annoy

"The same thing happens when you are member of any other social group"
No! Facepage and twotter are different. Everything you post, and everything you do, you do to impress EVERYONE. I expect pro did not watch the video!

"It's not about bragging"
RUBBISH! Everything you post is going to be read and seen by everyone, so you are must have to brag. "LOOK THAT LOOK THIS" etcetera etcetera

"This is a problem caused only when we don't use social media wisely"

a.k.a, 100% of us. Ole! [1]

"This is not a very serious disadvantage"

I will have you know that it is extremely serious! LOOK AT THIS GUYS, SHE'S WRITING OFF MY MENTAL TRAUMA AS NOTHING!!!!!!!

"This is a very frequent phenomenon"
GAME SET AND MATCH

Most people aren't responsible enough to put those stupid measures in place. They are young, after all !!

"Don't visit it. [The Labour Party facepage page]"
But where will I go when I need a laugh?

"I suppose that you don't like fb"
Yes but I am addicted just like if I were on drugs. Oh, the struggle. [2]

NOW FOR MY OWN FACTS

#1 ADVERTISING IS BAD
YOU SAY ADVERTISING IS ONE OF THE BENEFITS OF FACEPAGE AND THAT, but I disagree. Advertising is torture that we have to endure every single day of every single one of our lives :(. NOBODY has the permission to make me feel bad about myself psychologically if I don't buy their product. [3]

#2 STUDENTS ARE LIARS
"% of students say they use social networking for homework, getting a 6 pack, and saving the day" - NO WAY HOSE! They are just saying that because they are addicted but do not want to feel bad about themselves! [4]

#3 PEOPLE JUST BELIEVE ANY OLD RUBBISH THAT THEY SEE ON THEIR FACEPAGE FACE FEED
[5]

#4 ALL OF THE POINTS I MADE IN ROUND ONE
Pro refuted ZERO of them :) ---

#5 THE LABOUR PARTY HAS FACEPAGE
#6 FARMILLE PSYCHOLOGICAL TRAUMA EFFECT
#7 ANNOYING PEOPLE ARE ON THERE
#8 FACEBOOK CREATES BARRIERS IN THE WAY OF GENUINE SOCIAL INTERACTION
#9 FACEPAGE IS ALL ABOUT AND PROMOTES AND ENCOURAGES BRAGGING
#10 FACEPAGE CAUSES THE LOSS OF OUR IDENTITY ---

#11 FACEPAGE MAKES PEOPLE DUMBER
[5]

#REFUTATIONS

"INCREASE VOTER PARTICIPATION"

Those people are probably really dumb and will make ill-informed decisions if the only reason they're voting is because they saw someone on their face page face feed do the same. They might even vote for the green party !! (what madness !!)

"DISARM SOCIAL STIGMAS"
Yeah, but for every one thing like that there's a million things that promote ignorance [6]

"PROVIDES ACADEMIC RESEAR...."
That's what the news is for.

"empower individuals to make social change"
That also works the other way, as I've proven several times in this round...

"GOOD FOR THE ECONOMY"
Not for the average joe's pocket, though! I like people, not corporations.

"FACE-TO-FACE INTERACTION"
You get a good amount of that in real life too !!

"CATCH CRIMINALS"
No, that's exposing idiocy, which is really mean and quite offensive to feminists everywhere.

"REDUCES RISK OF HEALTH PROBLEMS"
Rubbish! Every hour staring at one of those screens causes you to lose 22 MINUTES OF YOUR LIFE !!

"OFFERS TEACHERS A PLATFORM"
Like a table does?*
*table is not a social network

"OFFER A WAY FOR MUSICIANS AND ARTISTS TO BUILD AUDIENCES"
i) Music is rubbish anyway, so I don't see why you're even comprehending that to be a good idea.
ii) Justin Bieber was found there, that's obviously an argument against it because Justin Bieber is an absolute pratt [8].

"HELP SENIOR CITIZENS FEEL MORE CONNECTED TO SOCIETY"
I think you are lying because the people on my feed are 99% teenagers.

"HELP EMPLOYERS"
Please, don't be a slave to the machine.

"HELP STUDENTS..."
Please, refer to my earlier point in this round.

"SPREAD INFORMATION"
Yeah, but most of the time that information is bollocks. Solar Freakin' Roadways, anyone?

"ALLOW PEOPLE TO IMPROVE THEIR RELATIONSHIPS"
Refer back to the video I posted a link to in the previous round. It will explain why that claim is a load of rubbish.

-------------------------

Right, that's it, all of her bogus claims refuted and mine still stand and I posted some more.

Victory!

[1] https://safely.yahoo.com...;
[2] https://www.google.co.uk...;
[3] http://adsoftheworld.com...;
[4] http://en.wikipedia.org...;
[5] https://www.facebook.com...
[6] http://www.youtube.com...
[7] http://www.dailymail.co.uk...
[8] Look up "Bieber" in the news

Posted by garyharryjoe 2 years ago
garyharryjoe
add me on snapchat, BIGDIK9.1
Posted by theocatzop 2 years ago
theocatzop
nothing to say..no hope!
Posted by KingDebater 2 years ago
KingDebater
I am against on this topic, but I will not debate it again because next time I might not whoop my opponent's bum so well..........................
Posted by aniruddha496 2 years ago
aniruddha496
I am for this topic.
Posted by KingDebater 2 years ago
KingDebater
properjobtractors123 is not me
Posted by Preston 2 years ago
Preston
you had a debate about tractors with yourself...
Posted by KingDebater 2 years ago
KingDebater
preston, stop trying to silence me.
i feel so opressed :(
Posted by Preston 2 years ago
Preston
king is a troll,
Vote Placed by Preston 2 years ago
Preston
theocatzopKingDebaterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro provided sources to support her arguments throughout the round, Con didn't properly refute any arguments and tried a last ditch effort to win by throwing out last second sources that pro couldn't refute because it was the last round. Overall con looks like a troll.
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
theocatzopKingDebaterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Dem sources do.
Vote Placed by Phoenix61397 2 years ago
Phoenix61397
theocatzopKingDebaterTied
Reasons for voting decision: I think con was trolling, although it was hard to tell. Pro wins, far and away.