Meganrihanne1992x
GJFanatic

Social workers

Con Tied Pro

Meganrihanne1992x

Con

Social workers role as thier job is to protect a society of children help them
be consistently heloful to them and thier family, but are they really working to a standard?
What about poor baby "p" tortured and neglected by both mum and stepdad ..The social workers chose to ignore a vile and repetitive incidenct why? to protect thier role as a social worker or them to be protected from the fact that they overlooked the incident numerous times?
Kids have been let down by social workers and thier role in law and education
and i could say ona personal note i have been to.. are they really bieng payed
to well basically do "nothing"?
GJFanatic

Pro

Thank you for my fellow debater for starting this debate. Also, I extend my empathy(as much as I can) to what has happened in the past with Social Workers.

This debate seems to have two components to it. First is the subjective and secondly the objective. Though neither of these are totally separate, I will address them separately then bring it together in my conclusion.

First, It seems that my fellow debater has had interaction with Social Workers in some fashion stating "Kids have been let down by social workers and their role in law and education and i could say on a personal note i have been to." With this interaction, which seems to have been negative, will the opposite debater be able to objectively look at the issue at hand? I will let her answer that to be fair to make her case for her objectivity.

Secondly, I will lay out a summary case to why Social workers are valid in what they do for children and society as a whole.

Social work defined is organized work directed toward the betterment of social conditions in the community, as by seeking to improve the condition of the poor, to promote the welfare of children, etc(1). So in order to carry out this work, workers are needed that are qualified. The qualified will usually have a Bachelors in Social Work or something of the like from a federally accredited school, have some experience with enhancing the lives of individuals whom they serve, and pass all state required testing to be a social worker(this varies by state)(2).

With the qualified in place, they are able to serve children in need whom are being abused are neglected in some way by either those who are in charge of their care or outside of that direct circle. Social workers act as a pillow in cases such as these as the police and social advocates take care of most of the dirty work(putting people in jail and the such). SW's will place the kids with other family that is safe or with foster parents until it is deemed safe for them to return to their previous residents if at all. As one Social Worker article states "Many professionals enter into the field of social work to help others grow and improve their life circumstances(3)." This is the desire of most SW's

On the contrary though, even if a social worker passes all the criteria stated above to become a SW, there can be bad apples as with any field. Serving individuals though has high stakes as it's dealing with more than just a burger patty(nothing against fast foot). If a Social Worker is unethical or immoral in any way, the consequences are dire. These SW must be dealt with in an appropriate manner to dampen the cost. As the code of Ethics for Social Workers states "Professional ethics are at the core of social work. The profession has an obligation to articulate its basic values, ethical principles, and ethical standards. The NASW Code of Ethics sets forth these values, principles, and standards to guide social workers' conduct. The Code is relevant to all social workers and social work students, regardless of their professional functions, the settings in which they work, or the populations they serve.(4)" So there is a clear code in place and those who do not abide by it within their respective Social Work field will be ousted.

In summary, to see if Social Workers are valid at a emotional level is hard to say if subjectively that person has had bad experience. Not to say that experience is not of value, but to say that experience has little weight to devalue SW unless that experience can be corroborated with evidence in it's favor. Also, I have laid out a case to say that even though some bad social workers may make it into the system, they are dealt with and most SW want to enhance the lives of the people whom they serve. Thank you. I look forward to the rebuttal.

(1)http://dictionary.reference.com...

(2)http://www.bls.gov...
(3)http://www.socialworker.com...
(4)http://www.socialworkers.org...
Meganrihanne1992x

Con

Meganrihanne1992x forfeited this round.
GJFanatic

Pro

Hello. My argument stands as there was no previous rebuttal. I hope everything is ok. Thank you!
Meganrihanne1992x

Con

Meganrihanne1992x forfeited this round.
GJFanatic

Pro

GJFanatic forfeited this round.
Posted by Justinisthecrazy 8 years ago
Justinisthecrazy
what are you arguing?
Vote Placed by GJFanatic 8 years ago
GJFanatic
Meganrihanne1992xGJFanaticTied