masterdebater15
brian_eggleston

Socialism is a better economic system then capitalism.

brian_eggleston

masterdebater15

Con

Like in the ld style of debate, I thank you in advance for accepting.
Good luck.
brian_eggleston

Pro

With many thanks for instigating this debate. Masterdebater15, I apologise for not being able to submit an argument sooner. Still better late than never!

The question of which economic model is "better" will, of course, always be subjective. For a textile tycoon who pays children in India a pittance to produce clothes, which he then sells at a huge mark up in the West, capitalism is clearly a better economic system than socialism.

After all, a socialist economic system would oblige him to employ adults, pay them a decent wage and ensure that they had a safe and healthy working environment. He wouldn't like that and he'd be really upset when he found out that he was expected to pay his fair share of tax as well.

Just think, that might mean that he would have to blow his nose on tissues rather than dollar bills, use condoms made out of rubber rather than the skins of baby pandas and wash with ordinary soap rather than bars scented with blonde cheerleaders' tango butter.

Never mind though, although mega-rich tycoons would be slightly worse off under a socialist system, the vast majority of people will be better off, which makes the socialist economic model better than the capitalist one.

masterdebater15

Con

masterdebater15 forfeited this round.
brian_eggleston

Pro

brian_eggleston forfeited this round.
masterdebater15

Con

masterdebater15 forfeited this round.
brian_eggleston

Pro

In the UK:

93% of the nation's wealth is owner by the richest 50% of the population;
72% of the nation's wealth is owner by the richest 25% of the population;
53% of the nation's wealth is owner by the richest 10% of the population;
40% of the nation's wealth is owner by the richest 5% of the population and
21% of the nation's wealth is owner by the richest 1% of the population.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk...

So, come the Revolution when I am duly installed as the rightful dictator of The United Socialist Republic of Great Britain and Northern Ireland; I will institute a mass redistribution of wealth.

Let's make the math(s) easy and say the total population of the UK is 1,000,000 and the total wealth is �100,000,000,000.

At the moment the average net worth per person across the whole of the population is �100,000, although the richest half is worth an average of �186,000 while the poorest half is worth an average of just �14,000.

However, I could redistribute the pot so that 90% of the population are better off as follows:

53% of the wealth is owned by 10% of the people. They represent 10% of the population, so I will let them keep 10% of the wealth. They will then each be worth �100,000.

The remaining 43% of the wealth will be divided between the remaining 90% of the population so that they each get �47,000. Then the poorest 50% will be worth an average �61,000 and the richest 40% will be worth an average of �233,000 – the richest half will become approximately 4 times more wealthy than the poorest half, as opposed to 14 times wealthier, as they are now.

So we can see that 90% of the population benefit from a one-off lump sum with the poorest half of the population being the biggest percentage gainers.

Of course the 10% that were formerly the richest might object to this plan, as their wealth would be reduced to the net worth of the average person. However, democratic principles apply even in a socialist state and it is better that the many benefit as the result of a sacrifice of the few. Since this does not happen under capitalism, socialism is better.

masterdebater15

Con

masterdebater15 forfeited this round.
brian_eggleston

Pro

brian_eggleston forfeited this round.
Posted by Mikirta 8 years ago
Mikirta
Everyone knows that Socialism is better than Capitalism! You just have to know how to execute it right.
Posted by fo-shizzle 8 years ago
fo-shizzle
GO PRo!!
Posted by Maya9 8 years ago
Maya9
"...the vast majority of people will be better off, which makes the socialist economic model better than the capitalist one."

Points to Con because Pro simply assumes (without given evidence) that A) Socialism actually will make the lives of the vast majority better. B) That is desirable.
Posted by brian_eggleston 8 years ago
brian_eggleston
Cool. I have currently got a couple of other debates on the go, so I won't be able to post right away.

Do you want to kick off and then allow me to reply? If so, perhaps you might want to start afresh with a new challenge?

If not, I'll post my opening argument in this debate tomorrow or the day after and forfeit one round.
Posted by masterdebater15 8 years ago
masterdebater15
Deal
Posted by brian_eggleston 8 years ago
brian_eggleston
I apologise for my ignorance, being a Brit, I am not familiar with the LD debate format. I would be very happy to accept a debate on a less formal basis, however!
Vote Placed by Derek.Gunn 8 years ago
Derek.Gunn
masterdebater15brian_egglestonTied
Vote Placed by KyleLumsden 8 years ago
KyleLumsden
masterdebater15brian_egglestonTied